Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: ... And the Chocolate Cowboys

• Start Topic

An annoyed Tom goes full on dad mode when Lino shocks his friends by stowing away in a side panel on the Swift Jet hoping to join in on the mission to rescue his uncle Barton. Meanwhile, Zenzi persuades Tom to let her take the jet to meet up with Congressman Eskol in hopes of finding out if Stone Corp. might be planning an attack in Dallas. Lastly, in a surprising twist Tom insists that Isaac accompany.

Airs June 21st.

(edited)

I didn't like Isaac being so controlling during Zenzi's date. I didn't blame her for cutting off communication, 'cause he was non-stop talking at her. He's all traumatized because of his previous girlfriend dying during a mission, but that doesn't mean he has to take out his anxiety on Zenzi. I think the writers are trying to push a romance btw them, but they're turning me off with how pushy he is.

Tom was also too bossy with Lino, but eventually he realized the error of his ways. Glad that he was able to think up a solution that was good for the cowboys.

Edited by Cress
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I think if they want people to like Tom Swift more, they should make him more aware/generous to the average person. The idea to turn the access to "Miracle Tree Sap Cure" into a High End Spa Treatment available to rich folks, might have been better received by the audience if the Tree Sap was processed in a factory and made into a low cost medicine available to hospitals and regular folks.  

Flying your private jet across the country to go on a date might seem OK to most people, but I think it is a mistake to have Tom never even think about using his genius/company to help/make something that working-class people might find useful.

• Applause 1
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

if the Tree Sap was processed in a factory and made into a low cost medicine available to hospitals and regular folks.

But the tree sap wasn't really medicine, was it? I thought they were just calling it magic healing sap to try to make a tourism business for rich people into crap like that. They just wanted to reach more customers. It wasn't to become a charity or hospital.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Cress said:

But the tree sap wasn't really medicine, was it? I thought they were just calling it magic healing sap to try to make a tourism business for rich people into crap like that. They just wanted to reach more customers. It wasn't to become a charity or hospital.

The Chocolate Cowboy said "Scratched my hand, the tears healed it, like a miracle. Cured a lot of other people, too."

Yeah, but Tom already explained that it was just antiseptic tree sap. They haven't discovered a new medicine that can cure diseases. It's just a natural wound healer, like putting neosporin and a bandage on your cut. The chocolate cowboy said they were already bottling the sap and that they wanted to be a destination, to have people come to their town and spend money again. Eventually Tom helped them with vibrating powerpaks to make more trees "weep" sap. And he was going to pay to build a health spa there to attract tourists. Maybe some tourists might be interested in the cowboys and want to watch them put on a horse show, or participate like in a dude ranch. There's lots of possibilities, but my impression was that the cowboys were interested in a tourist business for people who believe in magic sap.

• Like 1

So Lino has some type of ... powers? Was there more explanation in the pilot?

So they seem to be teasing Zenzi/Isaac, has Tom/Isaac been dropped?

So the plot thickens; now the squad also has to stop attacks against those other tech pioneers. Interesting!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Trini said:

So Lino has some type of ... powers? Was there more explanation in the pilot?

No, just in episode 3 when he was fencing. He seemed to be able to see the electrical impulses flowing through people's bodies and predict what they are going to do before it happens. He said his mother had the same ability and it drove her mad (she left her child to be raised by her sister). Now Lino is trying to find his mother to see if she has any answers to what is happening to him.

• Thanks 2
(edited)

I am glad that Tom found a way to help the cowboys, he was being a real dick in this episode. His confidence that can sometimes slide into arrogance can usually be charming or obviously a front, but being so smug towards the guys who found the sap, even before they did anything aggressive, and being such an ass to Lino, was a big turn off. Hopefully he continues to realize that his brash "I'm a super rich super genius" thing doesn't always work out and he actually has to talk to people sometimes and listen to his friends/family. 

I guess Lino does have powers that possibly come from his mom, which seems like sort of a weird thing to be in this show but considering we already know that magic exists in this universe, its just not something that affects these science fiction shenanigans, so why not super powers I guess.

Having the bad guys going after various tech pioneers is a good way to keep the plot quickly moving and gives us even more urgency.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Figured that everything was going to end well for the cowboys when it was all said and done, but Tom was definitely showing his arrogance and smugness with interacting with them, and that went double with out he was acting with Lino.  At least he seemed to see the error of his ways, but hopefully he realize that there is a time and place when acting like an untouched genius might not be the way to go (even if it's true on some levels.)

Isaac was going overboard with trying to protect Zenzi, but she admittedly made a decent amount of mistakes during the op and I'm not sure the congressman really bought all of the excuses at the end.  If he did, then he really is just head over heels for her!

I'm guessing whatever happened to Isaac's ex will come back into play this season.

So, shady organization is going after various tech pioneers and inventors and not just the tech itself.  Uh oh!