Type keyword(s) to search

Julia (CNN) - General Discussion

DanaK
  • Start Topic

I liked that the documentary showed what Julia Child was in contrast to (Spam with Pineapple and things with Jello) and what came after her. Also, I found it amusing that she loved the Dan Aykroyd sketch from SNL. I had no idea the sketch was sort of based on/had its roots in something that acutally happened.  

• Love 2

I thought this was really well done.  I was especially impressed with the causes that Julia endorsed and how she could look at a situation, assess it rationally, and change her point of view when it became obvious that her point of view needed changing.  The cooking was pretty good, too.

• Love 1

"I didn't marry you for your breasts, I married you for your legs" as a salve for Julia's body anxiety following her surgery seems to perfectly sum up why Paul was the right partner for her --heavily influenced by my dad's reaction to my mom in the face of mastectomy, but an assertion of unconditional love and support, delivered with wry humor.

I've only been able to watch this in bits and pieces and will watch it in full later, but I've enjoyed it.  There hasn't been anything big I didn't already know as a casual fan, but it's nicely presented.

It seems to well capture what she did for women cooking at home - having experienced her own frustration with available cookbooks when she set out to be the primary cook in a home, as was expected of her - presenting great food with great ingredients and techniques, but with the detailed yet accessible information necessary to mean anyone who followed instructions could succeed, which is not what she found.  She truly revolutionized cooking.

Her turnaround on support for the gay community in the midst of the HIV crisis was a bright spot in this documentary.  As was said, her life was about learning and evolving -- when you know better, you do better is something Julia exemplified on many levels.

I had the great pleasure of dining near her, at her later-in-life eateries/watering holes.  I never bothered her, but I eavesdropped like the spy she wanted to be.  She was a hoot!  That limited level of interaction is a life highlight, so she's a true national treasure.

Bon appétit!

• Love 7

I thought it was lovely, I think she was lovely. 

On 6/5/2022 at 12:03 AM, Bastet said:

"I didn't marry you for your breasts, I married you for your legs" as a salve for Julia's body anxiety following her surgery seems to perfectly sum up why Paul was the right partner for her --heavily influenced by my dad's reaction to my mom in the face of mastectomy, but an assertion of unconditional love and support, delivered with wry humor.

I never realized but she did have really nice long legs! 

On 6/5/2022 at 12:03 AM, Bastet said:

Her turnaround on support for the gay community in the midst of the HIV crisis was a bright spot in this documentary.  As was said, her life was about learning and evolving -- when you know better, you do better is something Julia exemplified on many levels.

I had the great pleasure of dining near her, at her later-in-life eateries/watering holes.  I never bothered her, but I eavesdropped like the spy she wanted to be.  She was a hoot!  That limited level of interaction is a life highlight, so she's a true national treasure.

Bon appétit!

I think that is what is lacking with people now, people don't want to learn and evolve. 

You were so lucky to have been near her! 

• Love 2