Type keyword(s) to search

The Janes

• Start Topic

In the spring of 1972, police raided an apartment on the South Side of Chicago where seven women who were part of a clandestine network were arrested and charged. Using code names, fronts, and safe houses to protect themselves and their work, the accused had built an underground service for women seeking safe, affordable, illegal abortions. They called themselves "Jane."

Directed by Oscar-nominee Tia Lessin (HBO’s Trouble the Water) and Emmy-nominee Emma Pildes (HBO’s Jane Fonda in Five Acts), The Janes offers first-hand accounts from the women at the center of the group, many speaking on the record for the first time.

The Janes tells the story of a group of unlikely outlaws. Defying the state legislature that outlawed abortion, the Catholic Church that condemned it, and the Chicago Mob that was profiting from it, the members of Jane risked their personal and professional lives to help women in need. In the pre-Roe v. Wade era –– a time when abortion was a crime in most states and even circulating information about abortion was a felony in Illinois –– the Janes provided low-cost and free abortions to an estimated 11,000 women.

Premieres June 8 at 9pm on HBO and streams on HBO Max

• Love 4

I watched this last night. Very good. I remember those times (even though those brave women are a bit older than me) and how desperate women would do anything to get out of a bad situation. Seems especially appropriate now with all the politics and bullshit going on regarding abortion in today's world.  Hopefully we won't have to go back to those times but if that does happen, we will need more women like the Janes.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

I was riveted to the screen.  I’ve lived in the Chicago area my entire life and I’d never heard of these courageous women.  The sexual revolution left many women, alone with unwanted pregnancies.  Imagine, a septic abortion ward in a hospital.  I would never have believed we would be going through an abortion battle all over again 50 years later.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

Great documentary.  It's sad that the US are reliving this today and maybe another Jane group might be needed in the future.

I hated the police officer who was interviewed and did the arrest. I know he was doing his job but he sure wasn't apologetic even after all these years of his attitude towards the raid.

There is an outright issue when women are so desperate to seek medical attention and are denied because of a politicalized opinions on abortion.

• Love 5

I kept taking everything the women were saying in the past tense and putting it in the present tense. Because I fear that’s where we are going. 

I watched this on demand after stumbling across it airing live, and have a recording for it set so I can watch it again. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 5

Well, Roe VS Wade got repealed in the Supreme Court today (or so I read).  SHIT! Now I guess it is up to the states to decide if they will allow legal abortions in their states or not. SIGH! This is just so fucking stupid-it will set back our rights for years. All I can say is I hope there are some modern Janes out there because I have a feeling they will be needed once again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

You know, that's a good idea. I'm sure not all states will deem it illegal (God I hope) but if it goes back to the freaking stone ages the women will need help getting to where they need to be. I live in Mi. and our Governor says she wants to keep it legal here but with an election coming up all that could change.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm in a state where should remain legal as long as our governor is re-elected.  His opponents are running on anti-abortion, so we are certainly close to a bunch of fucking evangelical men telling women what they can do with their bodies. 

I am so fucking pissed that the 'Janes' might be needed again.  And I will most certainly help if I can, I've already looked into where to contribute to help.  I've heard Planned Parenthood is where people usually donate, but it's not always the best in situations like these.  And if Thomas has his way, it looks like this is only the beginning, contraception might be targeted next. 

These women were brave, and I am so inspired considering the events of yesterday.

Edited by KLJ
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 6/24/2022 at 12:58 PM, Cinnabon said:

I’m up for starting an Underground Railroad. 

I have not fully vetted it, but there’s a Reddit sub, r/auntienetwork, that seems to be along these lines. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1