Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Episode 12

• Start Topic

89be6235-7b8c-4913-8e82-86e573d66235?bas
Season Finale
Frances faces up to the consequences of her actions and attempts to repair her relationship with Bobbi. She also finds a fragile understanding with her parents. But as she strives to take control of her life, the question of her and Nick remains. 

Original Airdate: May 15, 2022

I won't comment on every single episode. For me, this is a binge-show that you can't watch a single episode at a time. And I can't remember what happened in which episode.

Back when I read the book, I read about 2/3 and then just skipped through the rest. I liked the TV adaptation a lot more, even though, like the book, it struggles in the second half. They left out some bits, like Frances and Nick's email exchanges (if Rooney's third book gets adapted, those long emails exchanges will be a challenge to bring to screen) and during WhatsApp exchanges the viewer has to wait for a shot of the actual message each time, which slows the flow down even more.
I know the critics complained about the casting but apart from some accent issues (which you get 9 times out of 10 if you don't hire an Irish actor, but I doubt the gros of the international audience will mind) I have no issues. Rooney's books, in my opinion, rely a lot on the reader identifying with one of the characters and they will always interpret the others, especially Nick and Bobby, through that lense. In that sense I also think Normal People is more relatable than Conversation with Friends.

Anyway, Jemima Kirke did a really good job and I liked Alison Oliver. Tommy Tiernan was amazing as Frances' Dad and Justine Mitchell, who plays her mom, was spot on too. I didn't mind Joe Alwyn, and Sasha Lane, who I've enjoyed on other shows, has the disadvantages of playing my least favourite character.
The show will have its audience, but won't get Normal People level love.

• Love 1

I liked it. But I think that not showing Nick and Frances e-mails was a poor choice. It was a very important part of their relationship that didn't translate that well in the series. For me, in the book the e-mails built the tension and desire they had for each other. 

I thought all actors did a good job. Joe Alwyn for me was one of the best because Nick is supposed to be passive and a bit awkward but attractive and kind. It's a challeging part to pull of. I never thought about it but in a sense he's very similar to Connell. 

Normal People it's a more conventional story so I think it's easier to adapt (I actually think the series is better that the book). I think the book Conversation with Friends is more complex and strange and beautiful. 

On 5/22/2022 at 8:28 AM, braziliangirl said:

I liked it. But I think that not showing Nick and Frances e-mails was a poor choice. It was a very important part of their relationship that didn't translate that well in the series. For me, in the book the e-mails built the tension and desire they had for each other. 

I thought all actors did a good job. Joe Alwyn for me was one of the best because Nick is supposed to be passive and a bit awkward but attractive and kind. It's a challeging part to pull of. I never thought about it but in a sense he's very similar to Connell. 

Normal People it's a more conventional story so I think it's easier to adapt (I actually think the series is better that the book). I think the book Conversation with Friends is more complex and strange and beautiful. 

That's really interesting...I haven't read the book (will add it to my list) and watching the show I really struggled to understand where this connection between Frances and Nick had come from and how it was building because neither of them seemed to be very interesting or compelling personalities. I'm curious now to read the email exchanges and wish they had found a way to incorporate them.

On 5/23/2022 at 11:39 AM, Nancybeth said:

That's really interesting...I haven't read the book (will add it to my list) and watching the show I really struggled to understand where this connection between Frances and Nick had come from and how it was building because neither of them seemed to be very interesting or compelling personalities. I'm curious now to read the email exchanges and wish they had found a way to incorporate them.

I felt the same way, they both just seemed so bland. I didn't really like Bobbi all that much. I kept thinking Melissa and Bobbi were going to have some sort of entanglement as well but they didn't. They only had a kiss (that wasn't shown). 

I haven't read the book so just going from the show, it seemed to me that as soon as Nick was out of the picture with Frances, she went running back to Bobbi, claimed she had loved her all along and then as soon as she hears from Nick, he tells her he's always waiting around for her, she tells him to pick her up. Presumably so they can start their relationship again. Are they trying to tell us she's in love with both?

• Love 1
On 5/23/2022 at 12:39 PM, Nancybeth said:

Maybe I'm misremembering because it's been a while since I read it but I think in the book there was more built up (at least, a little bit more), I remember there was  banter between their initial exchanges (but there was also a narrator telling us that was happening), And even when they weren't understanding each other I remember having more words, I guess? Just a different feel.