3. Max Krapivsky (Fans)
  4. John Carasig (Faves)
  5. Christina Batista (Faves)
  6. Sashi Cheliah (Faves)
  7. Minoli De Silva (Faves)
  8. Jenn Lee (Fans)

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
(edited)

Wow, they really got that right for a change - I did NOT see that coming.  😥 And by the way, 

Spoiler

neither did Sportsbet, because they had Sashi as the third-last Favourite for elimination.  I'm wondering if they are going to have a "returning contestants win their way back" thing this season?

I really like Sashi and will miss him in the competition.

Meanwhile, whilst Aldo's story about having to cut ties with his dad due to his behaviour over Aldo marrying a man was very sad, I did wonder why they didn't say anything about the fact that all he produced in all that time was one octopus tentacle and some broth.  I have never eaten octopus and I certainly wouldn't ever cook it, so I have no idea if that's a fair effort or not but it doesn't seem that he did much?

At least the recap cheered me up a bit.

Their dishes left to rest and fester and grow fungus all over them, the cooks retire for a restless night. Julie has nightmares in which she is pursued by angry lambs without shoulders. Michael hallucinates that his pin is trying to kill him in his sleep. Sarah sleeps right through without anything interesting happening at all.

Up on the balcony the agitators cheer Julie's lamb. "I wish that were me, that lamb," says Matt wistfully, in what easily qualifies as the most deeply disturbing statement made by anyone this season. He seems to want Julie to cook him. An intervention may be called for.

Edited by katisha
  • Love 2
(edited)

Ohhhhh noooooo Sashiiiiii !!! 😳😫🥺

I will miss you, your “Singlish” and your curries. It’s great that you’re so positive despite the unexpected outcome. It’s okay Sashhh, just a bad day in the kitchen…

You know it’s bad when Billie said “ohh sh*ttttt!”

MCAU producers knew all along that Sashi will be leaving the competition early. They kept him under the radar. In daily episodes, he wasn’t featured as prominent as Julie. Why?

Am kind of 50-50 re Michael using his immunity pin. Am glad he’s safe but am also worried for him in incoming eliminations due to the stupid format. On top of that, knowing that particular person is still having her pin, UGH!

This Fans & Faves format is getting ridiculous. Hey, it’s okay if you cook a bad dish, you can always piggyback on your teammates, they will save you from eliminations. Great teamwork, woohoo! If you cook a bad dish, you deserve to be in the elimination round. As simple as that‼️

Who would’ve thought a tofu with yummy sauce could save the entire team, geez! 🙄🙄🙄

Why Melanie kept double-dipping her spoon??? It’s a no-no. Euwwww, yuck! 🤮 

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

This Fans & Faves format is getting ridiculous. Hey, it’s okay if you cook a bad dish, you can always piggyback on your teammates, they will save you from eliminations. Great teamwork, woohoo! If you cook a bad dish, you deserve to be in the elimination round. As simple as that

Totally agree.  This idea needs to go.  I think they only brought it in so they could artificially inflate the Fans team because if things progressed normally, you'd expect most Fans to be sent home before a lot of these Favourites. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, katisha said:

Totally agree.  This idea needs to go.  I think they only brought it in so they could artificially inflate the Fans team because if things progressed normally, you'd expect most Fans to be sent home before a lot of these Favourites. 

With this botched format, the producers (and editors) cannot hide behind heavy editing anymore. They are making some “new rules” along the way, disguised by fancy adjectives and poetic phrases, courtesy of Mel. 

• Useful 1

Knew Harry was a lock for the bottom four as soon as she mentioned being the only person left with an immunity pin and how that was a pretty "luxe" (???) position to be in and she planned to hold on to the pin as long as she could.  So the way things are going in the competition this year, this means she will use it tomorrow night.

I always look forward to any challenge with Alla Wolf-Tasker but it looks like Minoli has a bit of a meltdown, and that's not going to be fun to see. ☹️

Aldo has seven coffees a day?  Boy, that explains a lot! 

• Love 1

Harry: “I just want to cook the food I like to cook and it seems to translate really well to the judges.”

Judges after tasting: “It’s a train wreck!”

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

When the preview shows Minoli having a meltdown in the kitchen, the narrator says “But sometimes enormous pressure can produce diamond”. So am guessing Minoli will be okay… 😬

So many yummeh coffee desserts! ❤️

105B0FEA-0F45-41EF-9597-CE5E072D3770.jpeg

• Love 1
17 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I feel bad that I don't like her because she's been bullied but she really doesn't come across well. I find her passive aggressive. I dunno.... Is it just us???

I'm not a huge fan of the fan dessert girls either!

I'm behind (as always) but I have to say it was super weird seeing Tommy sedate last week. I'm so used to him being cluelessly chirpy!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I will miss Sashi. I really liked him on season 10 but I had this feeling that the new judges didn't like him very much for whatever reason. There wasn't much enthusiasm when they were giving him feedback.

Aldo and Jenn were HYPER this episode. They would have probably done cartwheels if someone asked them to do it. 

Harry's dish sounded awful and didn't look much better.

I don't know why the judges are so surprised with Billie. Like, come on, she won her season with the biggest crop of talent ever and right now, she's only cooking at 20%. She was the top dish in every pressure test she partook in and she kept up with Marco and cooked in the hardest service challenges ever. Whatever the new judges throw at her, she will have seen it before. There's no stopping her until potentially top 3. 

Spoiler

I can't wait for the merge. I'm really sick of this Fans vs. Faves format.

Katisha, is Billie the favourite to win on Sportsbet?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/17/2022 at 9:06 AM, Mellowyellow said:

I feel bad that I don't like her because she's been bullied but she really doesn't come across well. I find her passive aggressive. I dunno.... Is it just us???

Re Harry, I cannot stand her smugness and her OTT reactions every time Fans won team/service challenges when we can see she didn’t contribute much. The way they edit her doesn’t help either, it is too “in your face” for me.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy

Bloody hell, this is a rough week for the Favourites.  I'm not sure what upset me more, the fact that bloody Harry had a pin to play so could get out of being sent home. or the fact that another of my favourite Favourites is now out of the competition. To be fair, I don't know that Harry's overcooked fish would have been enough to get her booted since Minoli had so many elements wrong.  I really wish Minoli all the best.  I love her energy and positivity.  Life has thrown her some huge curve balls with two bouts of cancer and a mastectomy before her 40th birthday and yet she's still putting herself out there and taking on new challenges.  I have nothing but admiration for her.  

• Love 3

Tonight's recap.  I don't think Ben Pobje likes Harry much, either.

Harry begins slicing up her fish, a difficult task for her, but she gets through it by pretending that cod is a vegetable. She is feeling conflicted because she has an immunity pin and is struggling under the awful burden of having less pressure on her than anyone else.

Disaster strikes as Harry realises her timer has stopped and she doesn't know how long her fish has been in the bath, meaning it could go all pruney. Without the timer, Harry will have to fall back on cooking ability, an utter catastrophe. Alla notes that Harry looks nervous, but has nothing to be nervous about. "It's only cucumbers and cod," she calls scornfully to the contestants, disgusted by their open display of caring about their work.

Then Sarah and her dish is pretty awful. Melissa declares the butchery of the fish problematic and demands it be cancelled. Andy says that while eating the fish he got a bone, and after a few seconds everyone realises what he means.

🤣

• LOL 2

Poor Minoli! It's unfortunate that the illusion of time would be her downfall in the end. Minoli and Billie's friendship was really nice to see today.

Did anyone else catch Alvin and Billie looking at each other when Alla was telling the contestants to not forget about the people around them?

Spoiler

Thanks @katisha.

If the DM spoiler is true and that is truly the final 6, the only person I would be surprised about is Daniel.

• Love 1

Sorry about all the spoiler tags!

Spoiler

Sashi still appears in the "last remaining favourite" market on Sportsbet.  To me, this is pretty clear proof that there IS going to be a "win your way back into the competition" episode and that he actually will be back.  Neither of the other booted Favourites, Minoli or Christina, appear in that market.  Final piece of evidence - he's been featured WAY too much in the advertising for him to last less than a month in the competition.  My 2c worth!

https://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/novelties-and-entertainment/masterchef-australia/masterchef-australia-fans-favourites-6154141

• Love 1

@katisha

Spoiler

I'm dying a bit inside because of that spoiler that Harry is in the top 6.

I don't want that!!! 

I'm trying to ponder if that would be a worse win than Larissa. I actually preferred Emma's win because I found her more pleasant than Larissa.

Had to do a rewind to work out what happened to Tommy. Suddenly he vanished which perplexed me.

I also warmed up to Jen more after finding out she made sunflower earrings with Julie. That was cute.

I'm enjoying Julie. She's managed to rise above her unintentionally irritating edit!!! I know they want to promote her but it's so silly as she's absolutely fine to be left on her own without the excessive pushy editing.

Only in an Australian show can you edit against someone without meaning to!

• Love 1
Spoiler

I'm surprisingly ok with that!!! Yes a tad bizzare but Billie hasn't been setting the world on fire with her cooking so it kinda makes sense. Plus those 3 don't irritate me!!!

Errr sorry about the spoiler tags 😬

(edited)
3 hours ago, katisha said:

Okay, this is just getting bizarre!

Reveal spoiler

Katisha,

I think this spoiler should be posted in the media thread instead…🙏🏻

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
Removed content of the spoiler!

I knew the Fans would end up in the elimination after tonight's challenge.  How did I know this?  It's their turn now, I think?  The producers are clearly going to ride this teams idea as long as they can to keep things even.

Other than that, not much to say about tonight's episode except to say that pork Montana and Daniel were working on looked incredibly unappetising and ripping it to shreds really didn't do much to change that.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, katisha said:

I knew the Fans would end up in the elimination after tonight's challenge. 

It was good of the teams to cooperate with the producers' vision :) Daniel's team was there for certain, but I was really thinking Jock was going to put Aldo's team down there too.  I'm glad Billie's dish of the day dessert saved them.

• LOL 1
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

I like Tommy. He's not the best cook and I don't expect him to win by he's fun and endearing. I actually miss him when he's not in the episodes!

He also can create some funny names for his dishes. Remember “Flanilla”? 😂

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

He also can create some funny names for his dishes. Remember “Flanilla”? 😂

Yes there were a few silly names 🤣

In his first season he had Taower (tao is the fancy word in Vietnamese for apple). I think he made an apple dessert of some sort that day.

• LOL 1

Awww, I'm sad to see Jenn go.  I was actually starting to really like her.  I wish she'd learnt that tunnel vision in the MC kitchen is never a good thing because look what happened to Sashi when he got so sidetracked over the bread to go with his curry that he actually let his main dish burn (and he never came close to doing anything like that in his season).  She should have put the rice incident behind her and moved on and cooked something different. 

I'm even starting to quite like Daniel because they're not going so full on with the Blokey McBloke edit, giving him a chance to show his own personality.

Finally, last night's recap was one of the funniest yet!

Aldo plays his trump card, calling Andy in for his fifteen minutes. "We can give him something really hard," says Ali, refusing to cease the filth. Aldo orders him to prepare his beef cheeks, which probably isn't a euphemism. As a professional chef and restaurateur, Andy's skills at chopping up bits of meat will be invaluable.

Andy leaves the purple team having cut some pieces of meat and given the team no practical benefit at all. "What a legend," says Ali, her sarcasm ever-sharpening. Jock and Melissa think the purple team's menu is too heavy too. Melissa says that on date night she wants to talk to her partner, not fall into a food coma, but Aldo has no interest in catering to Melissa's bizarre fetishes. "I think maybe we should think about doing a different sauce," says Ali. "No," says Aldo, utterly drunk on power.

Suddenly, the Deliveroo drivers arrive, silent and implacable as the elite KGB death squad in the film "Condorman", but with brighter jackets. As the pressure intensifies, Dan discovers his pork is bland and flavourless: a disastrous development for this challenge, as nothing ruins date night like a tasteless pork. Montana assumes command, telling Dan to tear the pork to shreds so the diners at least know how angry he is.

Over on the teal team, Dan declares that he is like an octopus, so could be cracking under the pressure. He serves his team's meal to the judges, who are deeply disappointed, which is weird because did they really expect anything better? Melissa notes that the pork hasn't been trimmed properly: "you can see bits of sinew and skin," she says, which you'd think would be exactly what you want on date night, but there you go.

• Love 1

I totally agree about Daniel. There was one moment this season where he was like "I can't read and my big hands can't make dessert" or some similar bullshit and (beautiful, beetroot colored) steam started coming out of my ears, but in recent episodes he's been quite likable.

I don't even remember why I found Tommy so annoying on his prior season, but he isn't bothering me, either. 

What I don't like is how much the editing focuses on certain contestants (cough Julie cough Harry cough) even though I like Julie and I don't have the energy to be irritated by Harry.

Finally, I am a very tough audience for funny TV recaps, but I have to say Ben Pobjie's comment about, after the judges called an element of a dish "problematic," saying it was canceled is kind of amazing and I plan on incorporating that joke into my life because it will help me deal the extreme overuse of the word "problematic."

• Love 1
(edited)

RECAP:

3 eliminations - 2 shocking + 1 meh.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Billie's dessert beat the Fans' and saved her team from elimination.

giphy.gif

"Yeah whatever" Harry played her immunity pin.

giphy.gif

Some weird dance moves from Aldo & Keyma.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

And Julie's date night ritual!

giphy.gif

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 2