Type keyword(s) to search

Dead City News: Old Timey Wanted Posters and Walker Guts From the Sky

• Start Topic

Why Maggie and Negan Go to New York in TWD: Dead City

In the first look at The Walking Dead: Dead City, Maggie and Negan are literally back at each other's throats. So what could possibly bring Maggie and Negan together? The answer might be a danger to their children, as Cohan hinted during The Walking Dead panel at New York Comic Con:

Dead City is about "the most unlikely two people that you would want to see together," Cohan teased. "And it makes it very good to see us together, because it is the hardest situation that [Maggie and Negan] both have to be in. The need is bigger than the fear."

I'll give it a try, if for no other reason than to find out how they strung zip lines around Manhattan in the ZA. I'm the farthest thing from an engineer, though, so maybe it's easier than I'm thinking it is.

I'm really hoping that at some point they're going to run into a Walker with an eye patch on his left eye, wearing rotted out camo pants and a black tactical vest. And someone can mutter: "Yeah, I heard you was dead."

• LOL 2

I want to know how Maggie keeps her post-apocalypse, layered, chin length bob so fresh and swingy

Sooooooo, no spoiler photos of Negan's wife.  Wonder if she makes it out alive from the finale and into the spin off

1 hour ago, ctlady said:

Sooooooo, no spoiler photos of Negan's wife.  Wonder if she makes it out alive from the finale and into the spin off

In total speculation, I think she'll take the baby and leave. I can't see her in the new series, and I don't see them killing a baby. 

On 10/16/2022 at 1:41 AM, maystone said:

I'll give it a try, if for no other reason than to find out how they strung zip lines around Manhattan in the ZA.

Apart from this just being a fancy gimmick, I don’t understand how people this far into the apocalypse could be even slightly bothered by Walkers. Unless however Manhattan has been infested with the ‘Super Walker’ Dun Dun Duh 😱😱😱, in which case it’s no wonder they’re swinging between buildings like Tarzan, I can’t wait to see Maggie wrapping her thighs around that plank of wood, hair blowing in the breeze as she glides effortlessly from one skyscraper to the next 😂.

3 hours ago, ctlady said:

Wonder if she makes it out alive from the finale and into the spin off

I wouldn’t be putting money on it 🙄

I think “eating the baby” is pretty much how it’s going to go, off screen obviously. It’s just such an easy out / sad ending that gets Negan even more love that the writers just couldn’t resist. When Maggie finds out it will give them even more reason to make her feel sorry for him, I do hope I’m wrong.

Edited by OoohMaggie
15 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

I think “eating the baby” is pretty much how it’s going to go, off screen obviously. It’s just such an easy out / sad ending that gets Negan even more love that the writers just couldn’t resist. When Maggie finds out it will give them even more reason to make her feel sorry for him, I do hope I’m wrong.

This is another possibility I didn't want to mention. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Superclam said:

This is another possibility I didn't want to mention. 

Let’s hope we’re both wrong and Hershel Rhee and the as the yet unnamed Negan / Annie offspring both live to drive the show forward for the next eleven years. 🤔🤔🤔, is that a genuine hope or a genuine nightmare 😱

On 10/12/2022 at 6:14 PM, nodorothyparker said:

Crap. That didn't work the I'd hoped. In an excerpt from that link (top of this page), it comes out and says that maybe it's about saving their children. To my mind that means that both kids make it out of the finale alive. Kidnapped? Infected by the Commonwealth somehow? Beats me, but the premise sounds like some kind of rescue mission.

Lauren Cohan says it 'felt really good to be able to talk about Glenn' in The Walking Dead finale
Dalton Ross   November 21, 2022
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/lauren-cohan-says-felt-really-160000054.html 

Your last line in the series is to Carol and Daryl there at the end where you say, "I want to talk about the future. There's a lot out here to find out about. And I think it's time we did." Does that tie in to how you end up in New York at all?

[LAUREN COHAN:] When we pick up in New York, it's a few years later. So in my mind, there is sort this hopeful renewal at the end of the season of going out and exploring in the ways that we've seen her go do before. But I think this time with her family it's about staying in communication about their joint plan to do this and forge new roads. And family means Daryl and Carol and everybody else. And so that is what that means to me.

The Walking Dead : Dead City Official Trailer Spot AMC+
AMC+   Nov. 21, 2022

Edited by tv echo

The Walking Dead: Dead City Details Revealed

After Maggie said Negan and his pregnant wife Annie (Medina Senghore) were welcome to stay at the Commonwealth, a one-year time jump revealed Negan left the communities behind. When we see Maggie and Negan next in The Walking Dead: Dead City, another two years will have passed, putting the spin-off three years out since the old rivals saw each other last on The Walking Dead. 

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/the-walking-dead-dead-city-time-jump-new-negan-maggie-spinoff-details/

"I think that this spinoff is going to take place a couple of years after the Walking Dead finale, and here's the problem with those couple of years — we don't see what happens to these characters," Morgan told Deadline. "Negan has an opportunity to fall into his old ways in these missing years. He is very much a creature of habit, and he knows how to survive."

https://deadline.com/2022/11/walking-dead-spoilers-lauren-cohan-jeffrey-dean-morgan-finale-dead-city-spinoff-1235177985/

2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

"Negan has an opportunity to fall into his old ways in these missing years. He is very much a creature of habit, and he knows how to survive."

I sure hope they don't mean his Savior ways. I never viewed Negan's arc at the end of TWD to be a redemption story. He knows what he did and CDB hasn't forgiven him. I think there was a lot of character growth and he sure learned how to go along to get along and generally do better. Pre-Savior Negan was a grade-A dick, maybe those are the old ways being referred to. Do not take this as me being a Negan fan. I'm just a fan of Negan not being a savage rapist and murderer week after week on my TV and if he's going to be running around New York with Maggie I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Are they filming in NY or Vancouver? If it's BC I'm looking forward to playing spot the 'Ol Ye Village from Stargate.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Dead City will have a panel at WonderCon 2023 (Anaheim, CA) on March 25 - this program description has its release date in June (I guess we'll have to wait for official confirmation from AMC)...

https://wondercon2023.sched.com/list/descriptions/type/1%3A+Programs 

The Walking Dead: Dead City

AMC Networks presents the upcoming spinoff in The Walking Dead Universe, The Walking Dead: Dead City. The cast and executive producers discuss the new series, debuting on AMC and AMC+ this June. Maggie (Lauren Cohan) and Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) travel into a postapocalyptic Manhattan long ago cut off from the mainland. The crumbling city is filled with the dead and denizens who have made New York City their own world full of anarchy, danger, beauty, and terror. The series also stars Gaius Charles, Zeljko Ivanek, Karina Ortiz, Jonathan Higginbotham, and Mahina Napoleon, with Scott Gimple, Showrunner Eli Jorné, Cohan, Morgan, and Brian Bockrath as executive producers.

Saturday March 25, 2023 1:30pm - 2:30pm PDT

Edited by tv echo

AMC: The Walking Dead family reunion at AMC Upfronts
by Shay McBryde   April 20, 2023
https://showsnob.com/2023/04/19/amc-the-walking-dead-family-reunion-upfronts/ 

On Dead City’s side Jeffrey Dean Morgan had a lot to say as well. Dead City will pick up a few years after we last saw Negan and Maggie.

Spoiler

Maggie tracks him down needing help to find her son, who was kidnapped. They find themselves having to go to Manhattan.

When speaking on the dynamic between Maggie and Negan, Jeffrey had this to say:

“They’re not getting married, you know what I mean? I’ll give that away. It’s tenuous at best. They’re needing each other for a very specific reason. So, Negan has gone back probably a few steps in that redemption arc out of necessity and his survival instincts. It’s going to be a rough road, but going down 5th Avenue is not that bad a road to go down.”
Lauren Cohan describes it as “not typical teammates and not a typical adventure.” She explains it’s not quite an adventure and there will be much conflict along the way.
Dead City is also set to premiere on June 18 at 10 PM ET on AMC and AMC Plus. The Rick and Michonne series Summit, is going to premiere in 2024.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Matt’s Inside Line: Get Scoop on Walker, Heels, Fire Country, Good Trouble, La Brea, an MIA CW Series and More!
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH     JUNE 8, 2023
https://tvline.com/lists/walker-season-4-spoilers-finale-cliffhangers/

I'm very curious about The Walking Dead: Dead City (premiering June 15 on AMC+, June 18 on AMC). What brings and keeps Negan and Maggie together? And are other characters we know at least name-checked? –D.K.  

Spoiler

As we previously reported, the frenemies — if even at this point we can call them that — are reteamed in an effort to retrieve Maggie and ill-fated husband Glenn’s son Hershel (now recast with the older Logan Kim) from a villain called the Croat (Damages vet Željko Ivanek). Why is Negan so essential to this operation? The Saviors’ former leader has, ahem, history with the baddie. As for other characters being name-checked, fear not — the past looms large over the characters’ present… and may even dictate their future.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

The early reviews are surprisingly good. First one is minorly spoilerish, the second and third more so.

'The Walking Dead: Dead City' Review: Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Lauren Cohan Lead a Strong New Chapter for the Franchise

The Walking Dead: Dead City has molded the existing story into a tight narrative that is the best this franchise has been in quite some time.

Dead City could have just been about broad survival, with the various conflicts that keep popping up in the apocalypse growing repetitive, but showrunner and writer Eli Jorne creates a more focused story. Picking up years after the end of when we last saw these characters, the plot is a straightforward one in which Maggie (Lauren Cohan) is trying to track down her son Hershel (Logan Kim), who has been taken from her by a menacing and cruel man known as the Croat (Željko Ivanek) for ransom. Alhough she manages to track him to the desolate city of Manhattan that is now cut off from the rest of the world, she realizes that she can’t go in alone and needs the knowledge of another to help her get her son back. That’s when she pays a visit to the last person she would ever normally want to see again: Jeffrey Dean Morgan‘s Negan. The man who killed Hershel’s father in the universe’s most brutal moment by far has insights into the Croat that may help her, which is a painful twist of fate the six-episode series must contend with.

The Walking Dead: Dead City Review: A Surprisingly Good Redemption

The Walking Dead: Dead City TV Review

• Mind Blown 1
(edited)

Well I'm loving the leather jerkin if nothing else, desperately missing the short hair but she's looking fine, Negan still rocking that designer stubble look, he must be on top of maintaining those electric clippers 🤔

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

The logline: "The Walking Dead: Dead City follows the popular Maggie (Lauren Cohan) and Negan (Jeffery Dean Morgan) characters traveling into a post-apocalyptic Manhattan, long ago cut off from the mainland. The crumbling city is filled with the dead and denizens who have made New York City their own world full of anarchy, danger, beauty, and terror."  

Episode 101: "Old Acquaintances" — (June 15th on AMC+, June 18th on AMC)
Maggie finds Negan, and they travel to Manhattan; a marshal named Armstrong follows Negan; we meet a quiet young girl named Ginny.

Episode 102: "Who's There?" — (June 22nd on AMC+, June 25th on AMC)
Maggie and Negan encounter native New Yorkers; Armstrong revisits a trauma; Ginny attempts to adapt to change.

Episode 103: "People Are A Resource" — (June 29th on AMC+, July 2nd on AMC)
Dark instincts reveal themselves as Maggie and Negan form a strategy; Armstrong is tested; Ginny embarks on a daring journey.

Episode 104: "Everybody Wins A Prize" — (July 6th on AMC+, July 9th on AMC)
Maggie and Negan carry out an attack, but not everything unfolds according to plan; Ginny and Armstrong each make unexpected contact with others.

Episode 105: "Stories We Tell Ourselves" — (July 13th on AMC+, July 16th on AMC)
Truths are unearthed and motives are revealed as Maggie, Negan, and the others travel further into the city's depths.

Episode 106: "Doma Smo" (Season Finale) — (July 20th on AMC+, July 23rd on AMC)
Tensions between Maggie and Negan come to a head; Ginny's search continues; questions arise around Armstrong's path forward.

Cohan and Morgan lead a cast that includes Gaius Charles (Grey's Anatomy) as New Babylon lawman Perlie Armstrong, Željko Ivanek (Damages) as The Croat, Logan Kim (Ghostbusters: Afterlife) as Hershel Rhee, Mahina Napoleon (NCIS: Hawai'i) as Ginny, Jonathan Higginbotham (The Blacklist) as Tommaso, Trey Santiago-Hudson (New Amsterdam) as Jano, and Michael Anthony (The Game) as Luther. 

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/the-walking-dead-dead-city-episode-guide-titles-plot-descriptions-maggie-negan-spinoff/

Edited by OoohMaggie

First numbers are looking promising if the franchise is serious about wanting this to become a multiseason flagship going forward.

'The Walking Dead: Dead City Becomes AMC+'s Biggest Premiere

AMC+ launched in 2020 and previously had the record of biggest premiere streams held by The Walking Dead's final season debut in October 2022. In linear viewership, the first episode of the spin-off series attracted an audience of two million viewers with 972k viewers on AMC alone, making it the No. 1 new cable drama premiere of 2023 in both the key 25-54 and 18-49 demographic audiences.

• Like 2

JDM on that scene and letting original recipe Negan out again.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan reacts to epic old-school Negan Dead City scene

"I've been saying for years, 'Look, Negan's still in there.' The Negan that you love to hate is still in this guy. No matter what we try to do in a redemptive way with this character, Negan is Negan. I've been seeing it for years, and yet we've never had a chance to see Negan be Negan again." 

• Like 2

Ive only just discovered that The Beautiful One is an Executive Producer on the show, I don't know exactly what that entails, yet it must be the reason this show is so much better than any WD offering we've seen so far. 

The increase in quality, tension, excitement, it's all so clear now! 🙄

• LOL 2
(edited)

No stars, though...

Comic-Con 2023 Schedule: Exact TIME of Major Movie, TV & Gaming Panels
By Richard Nebens Posted: July 20, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/comic-con-2023-schedule-when-time-movie-tv-gaming-panels 

FRIDAY, JULY 21
1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. ET — The Walking Dead Universe  

• Four new series from the Walking Dead universe take the spotlight, including a sneak peek at The Walking Dead: Dead City’s season finale coming on Sunday, July 23.
Edited by tv echo

It might just be down to the very slight bias I may have towards the Beautiful One, but does anyone else think that her performances have improved over the recent episodes? 

What about old Jeffrey, putting aside what we've thought about him previously, have his performances recently come as a surprise?

On 7/27/2023 at 4:12 PM, OoohMaggie said:

The Walking Dead actors in the UK to attend Comic-Con Manchester

This coming weekend and as the crow flies, the beautiful one will be 39 miles away from my house 😱

Drive safe.  😁

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Scott Gimple: "We're just starting up on Dead City Season 2"...

The Walking Dead Showrunner, Scott Gimple, Norman Reedus and Danai Gurira at The 51st Saturn Awards
Temple of Geek   Feb 9, 2024

Edited by tv echo