Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Defending Your Life

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

Which only works on stage (with one "spotlight") or a one-camera setup, and no director or editor to decide if it's distracting, taking away from the scene, or disturbing the flow of the story.  With multiple takes and camera angles, nothing gets into a scene except what the director wants.  

ETA: And if the director chooses a take that focuses on one actor (think: camera on Dean's reaction to Sam shooting Madison, rather than Sam's POV) that's not hogging, that's the director's choice.  And nothing against  Jared's acting abilities.  He's still the focus of the story.

Yes, it is a stage term.

Not quite true about film and tv. An actor can mute his performance to let someone else shine. Or not. So X may be the lead but the editors may subtly prefer the takes that have more Marilyn and less Norma Jean.

1 hour ago, Affogato said:

Not quite true about film and tv. An actor can mute his performance to let someone else shine. Or not. So X may be the lead but the editors may subtly prefer the takes that have more Marilyn and less Norma Jean.

As you said, it's the editor's (or director's) choice which take/angle to use.  Or are you saying that an actor should break character (which in theory is what  "muting" his performance would be) because he feels he's stronger than the other actor?  And no, I'm not saying one actor is better than the other.  That's getting into BvJ territory and I don't want to go there.  Just trying to say that "hogging the spotlight" is unfair.  

52 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

As you said, it's the editor's (or director's) choice which take/angle to use.  Or are you saying that an actor should break character (which in theory is what  "muting" his performance would be) because he feels he's stronger than the other actor?  And no, I'm not saying one actor is better than the other.  That's getting into BvJ territory and I don't want to go there.  Just trying to say that "hogging the spotlight" is unfair.  

Yes. It is unfair. I was just saying it is possible to do it in a number of ways and even perhaps not being aware of it. 

• Like 1

I guess I shouldn't have disagreed. I was under the impression that agreeing to disagree was a friendly term. No harm, no foul - just a different view. 😟

• Hugs 1
(edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 9:43 PM, MagnusHex said:

Hey, you were the one who used "attack", not me. 😀 Seems like you're getting a little worked up over some dumb actor, but fine, I'll back down if that got you so upset. lmao

A mere difference of opinion doesn't call for you to either 'back down' or 'hold your ground'; the only reason you'd use those terms would be if you did feel attacked in some way.

Just admit you don't actually have a counter-argument (or simply don't respond) instead of trying to mock my perceived emotional investment. That's lame.

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
(edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 1:26 AM, MagnusHex said:

Plus, I like that Padalecki is given an opportunity to show his acting range for once instead of letting Ackles hog the spotlight like always.

Jensen being a stronger actor doesn't translate to "hogging the spotlight". I cannot express how much I disagree with this take. Most of the post is borderline BvJ territory. 

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

Jensen being a stronger actor doesn't translate to "hogging the spotlight". I cannot express how much I disagree with this take. Most of the post is borderline BvJ territory. 

Disagreed.

On 5/8/2024 at 10:39 PM, BabySpinach said:

A mere difference of opinion doesn't call for you to either 'back down' or 'hold your ground'; the only reason you'd use those terms would be if you did feel attacked in some way.

Just admit you don't actually have a counter-argument (or simply don't respond) instead of trying to mock my perceived emotional investment. That's lame.

Disagreed.