Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Chapter 5

• Start Topic

I hated the fact that the pawn shop guy was in with Hansu knowing that she might come with the watch. I also understand why she took such loving care of her sister-in-law at the end of her life. They were bonded like real sisters through their losses and lives. 
  I’m so glad that Sunja was able to find her father’s grave due to the kindness of one of the girls that lived with her mother when she was young. I never knew how there was so much prejudice between the different Asian races. How much so many had to overcome. 

• Love 5

Tracking down a girl through the sale of her watch makes you a stalker, Hansu.

Homesickness really is a bitch. I’d be bawling as much as Sunja if I couldn’t smell home on my clothes anymore. At least she had her sister-in-law as a friend.

Glad that elderly Sunja met up with her friend after so long. That was emotional. I hate the thought of that while graveyard being displaced for a parking lot, though. Sometimes you really can’t go home again.

• Love 5
On 4/8/2022 at 2:30 PM, Mindthinkr said:

I never knew how there was so much prejudice between the different Asian races.

I'm Eastern European and not Asian, but where I grew up there is also a lot prejudice between people who look the same and have very similar cultures and languages. The most recent example being Russians and Ukrainians. Unfortunately, people who look for reasons to discriminate will always find them. 

As for this episode, I loved finally seeing Sunja and Kyunghee as young women building their deep bond that would last many decades.

We saw Hansu at the pawn shop, but I wonder wether he has his fingers in the loan shark business as well. That's some outrageous interest if the amount owed doubles after two months.

• Love 4

This was a really great episode. I too loved seeing Sunja and Kyunghee’s  bond. Yes, Sunja is younger and grew up much less advantaged education wise/economically, but she has more street sense because she’s had to.

Hansu is an asshole, he’s just jealous of Isak- “she married a dreamer…” well she was PREGNANT and unwed, because you weren’t honest with her. What was the girl supposed to do???

I also like seeing Isak and Sunja fall in love. He’s a good dude. Yes he married her because she was pregnant but he wants a real love and partnership. He cares for her. She’s willing to open her heart and fall for him, but of course it’s not happening overnight. 

I thought the love scene was sweet- I notice the love scenes are always closely shot and discrete. It’s well done, but I noticed the cultural difference. 

20 hours ago, chocolatine said:

We saw Hansu at the pawn shop, but I wonder wether he has his fingers in the loan shark business as well. That's some outrageous interest if the amount owed doubles after two months.

Probably. He’s full of shady dealings. 

20 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I'm Eastern European and not Asian, but where I grew up there is also a lot prejudice between people who look the same and have very similar cultures and languages. The most recent example being Russians and Ukrainians. Unfortunately, people who look for reasons to discriminate will always find them. 

“Man’s inhumanity to man.” Yes, it’s sad we see that all over the world. Have you heard the phrase “cousins fight most of all”? I though about that a lot when I went to the UK in 2019 (London and Scotland)- all of the discrimination and prejudice among people on one tiny ass island!

• Love 6