Type keyword(s) to search

Season 12 Discussion

• Start Topic

Discuss all things season 12 here. Designers and episodes listed below.

Originally aired from July 18, 2013 - October 24, 2013

Designers:

• Alexander Pope
  • Alexandria von Bromssen
  • Angela Bacskocky
  • Bradon McDonald
  • Dom Streater
  • Helen Castillo
  • Jeremy Brandrick
  • Justin LeBlanc
  • Kahindo Mateene
  • Karen Batts
  • Katelyn "Kate" Pankoke*
  • Ken Laurence
  • Miranda Kay Levy
  • Sandro Masmanidi
  • Sue Waller
  • Timothy Westbrook

Episodes (TVDB):

1. Road to the Runway - Season 12
  2. Sky's the Limit
  3. Million Dollar Runway
  4. An Unconventional Coney Island
  5. Tie the Knot
  6. YOU Choose Your Materials!
  7. Let's Go Glamping!
  8. Shoes First!
  9. Having a Field Day
  10. Let's Do Brunch
  11. Project Runway SuperFan!
  12. Next Generation...
  13. Butterfly Effect
  14. Finale, Part 1 and 2
  15. Season 12 Reunion Special

Designers:

• Alexander Pope
  • Alexandria von Bromssen
  • Angela Bacskocky
  • Bradon McDonald
  • Dom Streater
  • Helen Castillo
  • Jeremy Brandrick
  • Justin LeBlanc
  • Kahindo Mateene
  • Karen Batts
  • Katelyn "Kate" Pankoke*
  • Ken Laurence
  • Miranda Kay Levy
  • Sandro Masmanidi
  • Sue Waller
  • Timothy Westbrook

This has to be my least favorite cast in the history of the show. We had rageaholics (Ken, Sandro) cliquish mean girls (Helen, Dom, Kate), bitter drama queens (Jeremy, Alexander), designers with major taste and/or construction issues (Sue, Karen, Dom), and people who just couldn't make it work under the constraints of Project Runway (Miranda, Timothy). And then there was Tim, insisting that this was the finest bunch yet and seemingly encouraging the abominable behavior displayed on the reunion special.  

Out of all the heinous designers who have appeared on PR, I think Helen takes the cake for wishing death on Tom and Lorenzo and obsessively hating Alexandria. 

• Love 1
This has to be my least favorite cast in the history of the show.

I tend to agree, but this is compounded by the fact that so many weak designers floated their way to the end.

In the beginning my consistent favorites were Dom, Kate, Jeremy, Braden and Alexander. Four of them royally muffed it up at the end, resulting in a rather unsatisfying finale.

I will give Alexandria props for stepping it up midway, but there were plenty of occasions she somehow avoided a deserved Bottom 3 appearance. Justin was consistently bland, and there are no words for Helen's quintuple wins. Kahindo was robbed.

Everybody not mentioned was just atrocious, which is I guess how designers like Helen escaped the early rounds. Sandro, Helen, Miranda/Tim and Ken obviously made for an especially uncomfortable viewing experience, and as a result this Season is bottom-of-the-barrel, narrowly avoiding last place to Season 8.

Off the top of my head my favorite designs were Braden's Butterfly, Print and Wallpaper, Kate's Bow-Tie, Sombrero and Yogurt, Alexander's Camping and Dom's Butterfly.

God, this one was awful, for reasons described above.

I stayed in it because I was convinced Alexandria would win, and I related so much to her Scandinavian ways. I really did love her collection, but I guess we can't have nice things.

Overall, zero redeeming qualities.

Edited by Xazeal
  • Love 1

I like Dom and Kate and I don't hold Helen against them.  I wish I liked Dom's final collection better (and I bet I would have if they still gave them a reasonable amount of time) but I was still very happy with her win.  Whenever I go back and look at the old collections, I think, my God, what caused the plummet in quality? and then I remember, they used to get like 6 months or more.  But overall, I like Dom and I like her clothes.  And Kate's return was fascinating to me: design skills aside, nobody else in that workroom was playing the game the way she was.  It sort of vaguely reminded me of Wendy Pepper talking about her "strategy" and Jay saying at the reunion, "What do you mean strategy, this isn't Survivor!"  Kate wasn't trying to emotionally manipulate people (well, YMMV here) or whatever it was Wendy was up to, but she clearly had a strategy and a sense of the game-show infrastructure which is supposed to be semi-invisible to the contestants and to us.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but she knew the timeframe, she knew the judges, she knew what she was doing, man.

Everything else about this season was garbage

And Kate's return was fascinating to me: design skills aside, nobody else in that workroom was playing the game the way she was.

It truly was fascinating. She would hit the judges over the friggin' head with the challenge parameters to the point where disliking what she put on the runway was tantamount to not liking the challenge itself. It was genius, and a dig at the judges for her ridiculous ouster in Season 11 for making an actual prom dress.

And when she didn't know what the hell to design, she clearly said "fuck it" and lived by the rule that Ugly is better than Boring, escaping the bottom 3 for her Real Woman and Pregnant Fairy looks. She parlayed this strategy into a very impressive run of 1 win, 3 top 2's, 2 top 3's and 4 safes before designing something ugly and boring and being shown the door.

I unashamedly love her.

• Love 2

It truly was fascinating. She would hit the judges over the friggin' head with the challenge parameters to the point where disliking what she put on the runway was tantamount to not liking the challenge itself. It was genius, and a dig at the judges for her ridiculous ouster in Season 11 for making an actual prom dress.

And when she didn't know what the hell to design, she clearly said "fuck it" and lived by the rule that Ugly is better than Boring, escaping the bottom 3 for her Real Woman and Pregnant Fairy looks. She parlayed this strategy into a very impressive run of 1 win, 3 top 2's, 2 top 3's and 4 safes before designing something ugly and boring and being shown the door.

I unashamedly love her.

Hah! Word. I liked Kate too (until the reunion. Fucking Helen) and was pretty miffed when she was booted in season 11. I was fine with Dom's win (until the reunion. Fucking Helen) but I thought Alexandria should've won. I hope she's doing well with her school and design career.

I just returned from watching the Season 12 Reunion Special, because, sadly, I own it on Amazon.

This was the worst cast in the history of the show, I agree. These people couldn't even be redeemed on the reunion special; in fact, it made me hate some of them MORE. I always hated Helen to the max, so no change there.

Jeremy (married, father of 2, husband's dead gran) was a nasty piece of work. The comments he made about Bradon and his fake marriage proposal were ludicrous. I was actually pleased that Tim called him out on that and took up for Bradon.

KEN... OH MY GOD. I am still mystified as to why he lasted as long as he did. Beginning with the first challenge, it was clear he was so far out of his league and it didn't get any better. That they kept him around for the fireworks was clear, but I would have been worried he would hurt someone. Having said that, his designs were horrendous; he couldn't even pick a fabric FFS.

I actually rewatched this to see if I could better figure out why Helen, Kate and Dom were soooo over the top upset with Alexandria. It's still not clear to me. If it was the trash talking in the interviews, they are all guilty of that. Obviously, she was mouthing off about her opinion and I don't think it meant she was being two-faced.

Favourite part of the whole show:

Helen, "Am I crazy?"   Alexandria, "Maybe."

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 3

Yeah, they trashed any goodwill from having four nice people in the finale with that reunion show. 

Especially with Tim's indignation that anyone would think the show had producer manipulation.  Tim apparently thinks the viewing audience is stupid.

• Love 1