Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Relaying news about a wayward snake

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

That was very much a Italian-American party from the 70s. I almost thought they were in my aunt's kitchen. They certainly had the same dishes. 

Huge laugh when Joyce was beginning to rant and someone handed her a glass of wine off camera. Although, I would dispute Joyce saying that Doug doesn't respect or value her. He even figured out Joyce did something in the end. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Although, I would dispute Joyce saying that Doug doesn't respect or value her.

I agree but I think she had decided at that point to work the women in the kitchen so I take what she was saying with a grain of salt.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

She was justifiably ticked being hoisted off to the kitchen, but that's nothing Doug could do about it. Credit to Joyce for playing a winning hand with what she was dealt. 

I'm kind of wanting Joyce to simmer a bit and recognize Doug has a lot invested in the magazine. She has zero editorial oversight. 

• Love 2

I like that the show is managing to both use traditional sitcom tropes and be subversive about expectations at the same time. That's a difficult balancing act.

<shallow> Do we think that was a prosthetic? That was probably a prosthetic, but still...woo, lordy.</shallow>

• LOL 3
6 hours ago, tljgator said:

<shallow> Do we think that was a prosthetic? That was probably a prosthetic, but still...woo, lordy.</shallow>

Paul Feig, the EP on the show, was on watch what happens live a week or so ago and he said that the penises of actors with speaking parts were prosthetics but the montage in the first episode when they were looking for their centerfold penis were all real.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
On 4/1/2022 at 9:34 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

That was very much a Italian-American party from the 70s. I almost thought they were in my aunt's kitchen. They certainly had the same dishes.

As i was watching I was thinking that the set design for that was fantastic.  Granted, I've never been in an Italian household in the Valley in the 70s, but that is exactly how I think it should look.

I feel like a broken record, but I really liked this episode.  The little dance both Joyce and Doug did with the Mafia dudes and the Mafia wives was great on both ends.  Yeah. Joyce Learned A Lesson again, but I think it is valuable for her to see some female dynamics at play and that even under the Patri-archie (tm Hot Fire dude Shane) women have developed some skills to subvert it. 

I liked Doug delicately trying to school the mob dudes on their racism.  You could see he was angry and squirmy but knew he couldn't say what he really wanted to say. To his credit he didn't completely let it slide. 

I liked Tina taking more charge.  Good for her.  And the coda of course was Doug realizing how valuable she is to the work they do. Good for him!

So here's the thing, is it me or are Bambi, Richie and Shelly so much better at magazine-ing than Joyce?

I liked David with the Goliath dong.  Nice contrast to Shane in that he is super brainy.  And a gentleman to boot!

• Love 1