Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: He Ain’t Heavy

• Start Topic

Tommy and his crew can barely keep up with the demand and they need more help to increase their supply; More shocking details about Tommy's family surface, and he realizes the news could potentially affect his business.

Air Date: March 27, 2022

The Serbs are finally on the scoreboard. The updated score is 87 - 1. See ya Gloria! If only Vic took the car Tommy provided, the Serbs wouldn't have known which one to hit.

Once Gloria said yes to Vic, I felt she was a goner. There is no happiness for anyone in this Universe! So what was Gloria's contribution to the show? Such an incomplete character.

Attention JP! There's a bar in need of an owner you can expand your business to!

What happened for the secrecy about who is behind Dahlia for Claudia and Tommy? No problem now going to Diamond, Moishe and Soto.

Now Dahlia is getting popular and blood will be shed for it. God job Tommy and Claudia introducing this product to Chicago. Liliana, JP, or DMac maybe a casualty for this.

I am sure Diamond didn't buy one word of Jenard's bullshit that he would play his "little" part in CBI and Diamond is in full control.

Just how big are CBI members that they are controlling the huge South Side? We only see Diamond, Jenard, Marshall and recently arrived Blaxton. 

Liliana will be in for a disappointment if she wants to go somewhere with JP. When she heard he can blow a sax she got so excited. But JP had a son, so there could be a chance.

Liliana seems she was giving the chemist notice her days are numbered.

Can we meet DMac's mom that failed this little genius with numbers, let him get on the streets and not do something productive with this skill.

Does Tommy ever sleep, how he find time in his busy schedule to follow DMac???!!! I guess if he wants to hire the kid, he needs to perform a thorough background check.

And just like that Tommy has linked DMac to JP and the rest of the family. And he will become Dr. Phil for an episode in order to reunite father and son.

Where does DMac live that he can't bring those items (except the gun) into the home?

Oh look! A special appearance for the Chicago Police department. And the other cop is dirty too. Shocker! Bennigan is too weak to be easily manipulated by the other cop! This character is proving to be a waste.

Blaxton and Marshall got information about Dahlia before Bennigan. Waste of money on the guy Vic.

Even the dumbest person would think/say Jew or maybe Amish before coming up with Pilgrim! Writers missed on this attempted joke!

Tommy tells Claudia don't mess with CBI yet until they get their house in order and of course she goes to Diamond. I was hoping Caludia's car was stolen during the time she was in the shop. When she told Diamond " I don't need anyone behind me", I believe there were two meanings with that statement!

Diamond exposed Claudia quick!

Does Tommy need Claudia now? I think she's expendable in this enterprise. Liliana can work the clubs. Only thing holding him back are the Flynn's coming after him.

Funny! Walter tells Gloria he has "eyes" all over the city, Gloria asks "What do they see?" and Walter has no reply. He knows two of his men are missing (Tommy killed) and didn't follow up about it? Odd!

Didn't Walter tasks Vic to follow and find out what Claudia is doing a few episodes back?? How many times does he have to keep requesting? 

Not gonna lie! I did feel pissed Walter's condition is treatable. But keep on smoking those cigarettes Walter and lessen your chances. Fine by me!!!

Shouldn't Walter have been upset with Paulie for not carrying out his order with the hit on Gloria? He pats his consigliere on the back for disobeying him! OK!

If Paulie is so loyal, why didn't he tell Vic: Walter put a hit in Gloria/cancelled or Tommy turned down Walter's offer? Why bother tell him a piece of the story. Is he angling for Vic to eliminate Tommy? 

When Vic said "he couldn't trust that motherfucker", did he mean Tommy or his father?

Adrienne was going to meet Elijah that night!? And she just happened to be sitting in Diamond's booth. Yeah right? So what would have happened if Diamond walked in the saw those two talking in his booth? 

Now Diamond has found the truth, I hope she's kicked to the curb.

If Jenard is smart, do not hit Moishe's man just for a vial and follow him to find the full supply.

When the guy from Gary took the hit of Dahlia, I thought it would make him see out his right eye again.

So JP had Kate's number all this time and never used it? Or did the hospital give him her the number?

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 1

That Gary guy testing the Dahlia reminded me of this moment from Breaking  Bad:

"Nice to be working with a professional criminal." Lol, if only Tommy and Liliana could use their powers for good instead of criming.

$100k in payoff money! Dang. Tax-free too. Not sure the Flynns are getting their money's worth though.

Boy is Vic going to feel stupid when he finds out his sister is behind Dahlia. Wonder if he'll demand his money back from Bennigan?

Liliana to Dr. Lauryn, "Fuck around and find out." Dr. Lauryn to Liliana "<gulp> Message received."

Pshht, Claudia trying to do an end-run around Tommy to Diamond. She ain't slick.

Of course Tommy's nephew D-Mac is a math prodigy. Of course. Next thing you know he'll be enrolling in college and running a version of Tariq's student app.

Whee, Liliana is hot, hot, hot for JP. JP who was good in home ec in high school so naturally he can mix up some Dahlia. (Is JP bi or is he strictly dickly?)

I didn't know Chicago State University was an HBCU. Learn something new every day. Thanks Jenard! 😉

Geez, Jenard just started a CBI war with Moishe's crew. Idiot.

Bye Gloria. Won't really miss you, hon. You were too wishy-washy.

Oh boy, it's Kate. Watch out, Chicago. Here comes next-level trouble.

Not gonna lie! I did feel pissed Walter's condition is treatable

IKR? Hope this doesn't mean we're going to have to watch him dying through another season.

Now Diamond has found the truth, I hope she's kicked to the curb.

Me too. He can't trust her, plus I just don't see her making a good gangster moll.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

IKR? Hope this doesn't mean we're going to have to watch him dying through another season.

He doesn't act like a person who wants treatment and will let it spread. With 2 more episodes left, I guess they won't kill him with the disease, and he'll be back next season. Unless the Serbs or someone else gets him first.

29 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Bye Gloria. Won't really miss you, hon. You were too wishy-washy.

Yes. I don't think the writers had a clear plan with this character. They had her go back to Vic quick so they can try and make this death more impactful. She never grew on me.

29 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Me too. He can't trust her, plus I just don't see her making a good gangster moll.

I don't like her. I'll be pissed if Diamond gives her a story. Just give her your boot out the door!

35 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Pshht, Claudia trying to do an end-run around Tommy to Diamond. She ain't slick.

She is not.  She is pissing off a lot of people and will soon run out of allies. Don't get on Tommy's bad side. I guess Vic will be the last person she can call to help (and their relationship is shaky).

43 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Wonder if he'll demand his money back from Bennigan?

He should. Will need the money for vehicle repairs. Damages from "Serbian mob hit" wasn't in his insurance.

46 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Of course Tommy's nephew D-Mac is a math prodigy. Of course. Next thing you know he'll be enrolling in college and running a version of Tariq's student app.

Power - Book XXIV.  

48 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

(Is JP bi or is he strictly dickly?)

I think bi. Will need some backstory with him and DMac's mom.

55 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Geez, Jenard just started a CBI war with Moishe's crew. Idiot.

Unless the man survived or maybe there were security cameras to show Jenard, I don't think it will tie back to him. 

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Liliana to Dr. Lauryn, "Fuck around and find out." Dr. Lauryn to Liliana "<gulp> Message received."

I think that was the answer to this question from the Dr: "How soon will I be fired from my other job if I keep calling out?"

• Love 1
9 hours ago, mxc90 said:

So JP had Kate's number all this time and never used it? Or did the hospital give her the number?

No- I’m sure Tommy gave it to him. He didn’t want to call Kate because of all of the things she did to him, but he gave JP the number so he could do it. He understands that JP wants to talk to Kate but he doesn’t want to. 

On 3/27/2022 at 10:34 AM, mxc90 said:

See ya Gloria! If only Vic took the car Tommy provided, the Serbs wouldn't have known which one to hit.

They made it so predictable that she would die.

Gloria supposedly left town and stop contacting Flynn junior. Yet, he goes to her apartment and she's conveniently right where he needs her to be at the right time. Junior should play a lottery ticket, not that he needs one because he seems pretty wealthy.

What happened for the secrecy about who is behind Dahlia for Claudia and Tommy? No problem now going to Diamond, Moishe and Soto.

I think the secrecy was for Claudia, not so much for Tommy. However, Claudia blows right through that with her visit to Diamond's barbershop. Diamond got her number too.

Claudia is a terrible business partner.

I am sure Diamond didn't buy one word of Jenard's bullshit that he would play his "little" part in CBI and Diamond is in full control.

I'm still not understanding Jenard's end game.

Just how big are CBI members that they are controlling the huge South Side? We only see Diamond, Jenard, Marshall and recently arrived Blaxton.

The only gang they've been good at showing numbers for in the whole Power universe is the Serbs. We've been more Serbs (even the nameless ones) than any other gang... I think.

Oh look! A special appearance for the Chicago Police department. And the other cop is dirty too. Shocker! Bennigan is too weak to be easily manipulated by the other cop! This character is proving to be a waste.

Blaxton and Marshall got information about Dahlia before Bennigan. Waste of money on the guy Vic.

*realizing the crooked cop's name is Bennigan from reading your post*

Crooked cops are the worst crooks. I was thinking "stop being a little fucking bitch." Give the other crooked cop his $50K and then never give him anything else after that. After he takes the first $50K, he's in bed with Bennigan. He can't snitch without bringing himself down too. Give him a taste of the first $50k. After that, you got as much dirt on him as he does on you. Mutually assured destruction.

Funny! Walter tells Gloria he has "eyes" all over the city, Gloria asks "What do they see?" and Walter has no reply. He knows two of his men are missing (Tommy killed) and didn't follow up about it? Odd!

Claudia

deja vu 😂

f Paulie is so loyal, why didn't he tell Vic: Walter put a hit in Gloria/cancelled or Tommy turned down Walter's offer?

I think (1) because he was never gonna go through with it as we saw and (2) it seems that he genuinely doesn't want a rift in the family.

If Jenard is smart, do not hit Moishe's man just for a vial and follow him to find the full supply.

Real question: have we determined that he's not smart yet? 🤔

I'm still on the fence. I'm sure there's some grand master plan that we'll find out about at the end of the season.

I was really hoping that Jenard was disappointed and there's nothing in the bag but a sandwich from the deli.

Even the dumbest person would think/say Jew or maybe Amish before coming up with Pilgrim! Writers missed on this attempted joke!

I thought they were using code words 😂

I was thinking is "pilgrims" code word for Jews? They can't literally mean actual pilgrims, right? 😂

Couldn't believe they literally meant actual pilgrims.

So JP had Kate's number all this time and never used it? Or did the hospital give him her the number?

16 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

No- I’m sure Tommy gave it to him. He didn’t want to call Kate because of all of the things she did to him, but he gave JP the number so he could do it. He understands that JP wants to talk to Kate but he doesn’t want to. 

Yes, I'm also pretty sure Tommy gave JP Kate's number.

I'm still curious at when and why did creators decide to give Kate a mystery half-black son?

21 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Boy is Vic going to feel stupid when he finds out his sister is behind Dahlia. Wonder if he'll demand his money back from Bennigan?

I don't think we'll ever hear about that money again. It has served it's purpose of getting Bennigan monry for the other crooked cop. Of all the people Flynn junior could ask, why ask Bennigan? I would think he would actually ask his sister before going to the cop but I guess not.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 2

Of course I love chatting here with you all but this book has been awful. 

It’s had potential but the writing has been BAD, nothing has gone anywhere besides the plot with Tommy and JP- we are actually seeing them building a relationship. 

We had the foundation for some great things- Diamond coming back into the game after prison, Bennigan being the Flynns’ pocket but using the funds to care for his sister with a disability, shit, even Vic and Gloria could’ve been interesting if Gloria was a real love interest for Tommy, and Vic had to fight to get her back. 

Claudia isn’t as bright as she thinks she is- she does wear great clothes though. What are the makeup people doing with her though, she always looks ghastly. She’s a pretty woman but her makeup is all wrong, way too harsh for her coloring. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

It’s had potential but the writing has been BAD, nothing has gone anywhere besides the plot with Tommy and JP- we are actually seeing them building a relationship. 

We had the foundation for some great things- Diamond coming back into the game after prison, Bennigan being the Flynns’ pocket but using the funds to care for his sister with a disability, shit, even Vic and Gloria could’ve been interesting if Gloria was a real love interest for Tommy, and Vic had to fight to get her back. 

Claudia isn’t as bright as she thinks she is- she does wear great clothes though. What are the makeup people doing with her though, she always looks ghastly. She’s a pretty woman but her makeup is all wrong, way too harsh for her coloring. 

The only one I've been really into after the original Power was Book 3.

All of the other ones thus far... whatever.

8 hours ago, AntFTW said:

I'm still not understanding Jenard's end game.

And the writers too.

The only gang they've been good at showing numbers for in the whole Power universe is the Serbs. We've been more Serbs (even the nameless ones) than any other gang... I think

Power 1, we saw some large amounts in crews. Now, it's like they can't afford or not willing to pay for extras. 

Crooked cops are the worst crooks. I was thinking "stop being a little fucking bitch." Give the other crooked his $50K and then never give him anything else after that. After he takes the first $50K, he's in bed with Bennigan. He can't snitch without bringing himself down too. Give him a taste of the first $50k. After that, you got as much dirt on him as he does on you. Mutually assured destruction.

And he didn't try to deny or tell him to fuck off and leave. Just dropped his sad shoulders with the "you got me" look. Pathetic!

I think (1) because he was never gonna go through with it as we saw and (2) it seems that he genuinely doesn't want a rift in the family.

I see but none of the events were going to happen. Why bother tell Vic at all. He tells him and leaves out some key details.

Real question: have we determined that he's not smart yet? 🤔

I'm still on the fence. I'm there's some grand master plan that we'll find out about at the end of the season.

I was really hoping that Jenard was disappointed and there's nothing in the bag but a sandwich from the deli.

They keep telling us he is smart. "I could have gone to college", blah, blah............ They never show his brilliance.

Jenard wouldn't mind. He got a free meal. 

9 hours ago, AntFTW said:

Claudia

deja vu 😂

Oh No!!!!! 

Damn! Damn! Damn!

Now that Gloria is gone, I can focus on one name:

OIP (2).jpg

9 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I agree. It's a mess of storytelling. 

I see they are changing the showrunner for next season, I guess someone up top noticed how bad it was too.

Lili Simmons is 28 and all that makeup makes her look 40.

53 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Power 1, we saw some large amounts in crews. Now, it's like they can't afford or not willing to pay for extras. 

There is a cost for extras, and also Covid protocols.

31 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

I agree. It's a mess of storytelling. 

I see they are changing the showrunner for next season, I guess someone up top noticed how bad it was too.

Lili Simmons is 28 and all that makeup makes her look 40.

Oh really, they got a season 2?

Lili is pale with dark hair and cool undertones, why are they giving her a SILVER highlight like its 1988? her lipstick is TOO DARK and she has smaller eyes, which they have lined heavily with liner. It's doing her no favors. Her hair cut is good for her face shape, but they don't style it half the time. Her clothes are gorgeous, I find it hard to believe this rich, thin, good looking young woman would walk around in those expensive ass clothes with her hair/makeup looking a mess. 

Jenard – I counted 13 ‘n*****’ this episode.

This was a funny eppy.  I really like Tommy/Liliana’s relationship, she was cracking me up flirting with JP and the look on Tommy’s face while they were going back and forth was hysterical.

My Paulie love grows with each episode….swoons.

Awww shit, Tommy knows who Elijah is now!  I wonder how long he’s going to keep this news to himself.

Surprised Diamond found out about Adrienne.  Maybe Jenard will be the one to take her out should he find out about her.

Wowwww, didn’t expect Gloria to go this soon.  And did this hit come from Walter instead of the Serbs?

Speaking of Walter, his brogue is so thick that I put him on closed caption.  He’s still sexy though.

YAY, my prayers have been answered, Kate’s back!  Get ready for the fireworks between her, Tommy and JP.

• Love 1

Well if anyone's taking a vote I'm thumbs up on PB IV. After PB III it's my favorite book, mainly because I love Raq and I also love Tommy.

Creating a new universe around Tommy, in a new location, appears to have been a daunting task. They seem to be trying to sort out which characters are viable and which ones aren't. However, Tommy's charisma is undeniable IMO and I think the basic plot of him trying to become the Ghost of Chicago works.

I'm not surprised it's getting a second season. If that little brat Tariq got past his first season then the Power Book bar has clearly been set fairly low. I'll be here for Tommy's continued adventures.

I see they are changing the showrunner for next season, I guess someone up top noticed how bad it was too.

Another interpretation might be that the current showrunner was meant to be temporary until the show got its footing. Or the guy got a better offer elsewhere.

I'm still curious at when and why did creators decide to give Kate a mystery half-black son?

I'm having some difficulty parsing this. Is the problem that the son is half-Black; that we weren't told about it before now; or, that Kate got with a Black guy?

The only thing I've put in the "awfully convenient" category is that Tommy just happened to land in Chicago where, surprise! surprise!, he has a brother and a nephew he never knew about before. What if he'd decided to go to LA as he originally planned? Would JP and D-Mac remained a secret to him? Maybe Tommy has secret family members all over the country in places he hasn't visited yet.  (Or at least since he was a young child.) The possibilities are endless. 🙄

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Well if anyone's taking a vote I'm thumbs up on PB IV. After PB III it's my favorite book, mainly because I love Raq and I also love Tommy.

Creating a new universe around Tommy, in a new location, appears to have been a daunting task. They seem to be trying to sort out which characters are viable and which ones aren't. However, Tommy's charisma is undeniable IMO and I think the basic plot of him trying to become the Ghost of Chicago works.

I'm not surprised it's getting a second season. If that little brat Tariq got past his first season then the Power Book bar has clearly been set fairly low. I'll be here for Tommy's continued adventures.

This!  Joseph Sikora is knocking it out the park and I'm looking forward to many more seasons.

When the guy from Gary took the hit of Dahlia, I thought it would make him see out his right eye again.

Damn you, the chicken salad from my sandwich just fell into my cleavage from me laughing so hard!

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm having some difficulty parsing this. Is the problem that the son is half-Black; that we weren't told about it before now; or, that Kate got with a Black guy?

Kate getting with a black guy or having a half-black baby is not a problem but rather it was unexpected. The angle, as a whole, was unexpected. Kate having a half-black son is something I did not expect, and yes, Kate getting with a black guy is something I did not expect. We don't know much about Kate's love life other than Tony Teresi, but in my mind, once they introduced Teresi, that gave Kate a "type."

Why did Tommy have to have a brother at all? I'm curious about the entire process of creating a brand new middle-aged half-black son and a brand new teenage grandson for Kate.

Edited by AntFTW
47 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

Kate getting with a black guy or having a half-black baby is not a problem but rather it was unexpected. The angle, as a whole, was unexpected. Kate having a half-black son is something I did not expect, and yes, Kate getting with a black guy is something I did not expect. We don't know much about Kate's love life other than Tony Teresi, but in my mind, once they introduced Teresi, that gave Kate a "type."

Why did Tommy have to have a brother at all? I'm curious about the entire process of creating a brand new middle-aged half-black son and a brand new teenage grandson for Kate.

I am not surprised Kate got with a black guy. Given the social circles Kate moved in, she was around a lot of men of color, (same way Tommy grew up around people of color)- so the idea that she would have hooked up with non white men doesn't surprise me. Yes she got with Teresi, but he was probably the most powerful/influential man she was every involved with. After the fear that he would snatch her baby to give to his wife to raise and leave her for dead, yeah I could see her not wanting to mess with "bosses" any more.

Nor am I surprised that Kate got with a TEENAGER because she is Kate- she has no moral qualms about anything, so her macking on a damn teenager when she was a grown ass woman seems right up her alley.(JP's dad was 17 when he was born) 

They gave Tommy a brother because Tommy lost ALL of his family. James is dead, Tasha killed Lakeisha (whom he really did love and wanted to build a life with), Tariq betrayed him- Tommy is lonely as hell, hence why he went looking for his grandmother that he remembered fondly but had not been in contact with. Power is a show primarily about people of color, most of the leads have been black, Tommy leads this book, but giving him a black brother creates more black characters to fill out the universe. And Tommy grew up around black people- I don't know how comfortable he would feel in a white family, even one like the Flynns (by that I mean, a white family in the drug life).

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Nor am I surprised that Kate got with a TEENAGER because she is Kate- she has no moral qualms about anything, so her making on a damn teenager when she was a grown ass woman seems right up her alley.(JP's dad was 17 when he was born) 

Really? I didn't catch that at all.

Edited by AntFTW
Just now, AntFTW said:

Really? I didn't catch that at all.

Yup, he said so when they had him sit down with Tommy and JP. (paraphrasing) "I didn't know anything about being a Dad at 17, but I know I wanted to raise JP better."

• Useful 2
Just now, Scarlett45 said:

Yup, he said so when they had him sit down with Tommy and JP. (paraphrasing) "I didn't know anything about being a Dad at 17, but I know I wanted to raise JP better."

Everything about this Book is going over my head. I can barely remember character names and I, apparently, can't remember dialogue. 😂

I just feel like sitting in a corner waiting for season 2 of Book 3 to come out.

• LOL 2