Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Albatross

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Luca 😵 Step in for Commander Hicks the commander of Metro Division is Officer Luca, with two Sergeants on his team above him. If the Captain of SWAT was ever replaced and a Lieutenant doing something for the Mayor being around for a season we have to jump over all those team Sergeants and their assistant team leader Sergeants, Lieutenants and Captains not to mention any other Commanders for Luca to step in.

Not as bad a 9-1-1 Lone Star where a kid out of probation was just named a Lieutenant but it is up there.

Edited by Raja

letter-c.png

Like Luca today in command, to rate this episode, I too had to just go with my gut.

My gut says this was an episode that simply failed to get the job done.

There were quite a few good moments. Luca once again proved he's got the mettle to actually be in charge. Stubborn ol' Hicks was great with the therapist. I also loved Annie's determination and positive attitude, and how it rubbed off on the cynical Deacon. Shows why he married her- she can get him to see the bright and better side of things when he can't. It was also just great to see Annie actually do something on this show other than being "the housewife".

Oh, and the returning Brooke Nevin as Ally (who appeared in S1's "Blindspots") was nice, even though there was some missed potential with her character. Her S1 appearance set her up to be a criminal who at least had a heart, and we didn't see that tonight, but Nevin was still flawless as the character who got inside Tan's head.

Which I think is where the episode really went off the rails. The show acknowledged that the case was inches from going off the rails, but the way the episode actually played out, you really wonder why it didn't. Ally literally walked the team into a trap- so much so that you wonder why she wasn't in on the trap- and if "The King" wasn't so stupid to stay behind and watch Hondo and Tan fight off his muscle, he might have actually escaped.

Which leads to another strange tactical decision. Yes, SWAT Command may not have known who The King was but they knew where he was hiding. Why SWAT Command didn't have more than just a helicopter keeping eyes on the RV park is beyond me. You'd think LAPD would at least have its patrols ready to form a perimeter around the park if need be at a moment's notice.

Honestly, this just feels like the kind of episode where the team got lucky and, if it wasn't for shoddy writing, you'd question the leadership qualities of those in charge of the team. Yeah, maybe you cut Luca some slack for being put in a rough spot on a moment's notice but Hondo should know better.

I also have to wonder how the show could have an undercover episode and Street is on the sidelines. Street pulled off the job near picture-perfect back in S3...you'd think the team would want to use his skills again here but, no dice.

Ultimately, it's just one of those episodes where the case just wasn't thought through, and if it was, this could have been a lot better.

• Love 1

Good job Luca, the commanding officer! The plots (planning and ops) feel rushed and underdeveloped though.

I like Brooke Nevin, so am glad to see Ally again.

Leo Wyatt is no longer a white lighter, he’s The King now! 😆

Brian Krause is only a year older than Shemar Moore but he looks much older. Hey Hondo, what’s your secret man?

5AA4D0F7-F406-419C-9B3D-1037F6F53D6D.jpeg

• Love 2

I kept expecting Tan's UC to be with the 'real' Miles and for them to orchestrate the arrests so he wouldn't be killed by the King. Or for that matter, for her to be exposed as the 'king'.  Not the easist story line to follow

• Love 1
On 3/21/2022 at 7:21 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Brian Krause is only a year older than Shemar Moore but he looks much older. Hey Hondo, what’s your secret man?

Lots of Big Macs and Twinkies, with a nightly tub of ice cream thrown in. :P

I look at Shemar Moore and get reminded of an old meme. I'd love to have rock hard abs, but have you ever tried stuffed crust pizza?

13 hours ago, jabRI said:

I kept expecting Tan's UC to be with the 'real' Miles and for them to orchestrate the arrests so he wouldn't be killed by the King. Or for that matter, for her to be exposed as the 'king'.  Not the easist story line to follow

Tan would have made better sense as Miles, but I'm guessing Hondo took the role because he thought maybe The King would know Miles was Black. I think the real issue I have is that Hondo- who we've seen many times before use his negotiating skills to defuse situations- barely tried to figure out a way out of having the guns pointed at his crew. Miles himself seemed to expect trouble with The King, so you'd think he'd tell Hondo beforehand what The King accused him of so Hondo could prepare for it.

Plus, Hondo had the money The King wanted. You'd think that maybe Hondo would say that if The King wanted his money then Hondo and his crew won't give up their guns. Or there would be a backup in the money bag.

A lot of things just went wrong because the writer didn't properly flesh it out. It felt like they wanted to have this "moment" but they forgot to set it up properly. The frustrating part is that the scene, as it was written, made the characters look incredibly foolish when I know they're a lot smarter than that.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Love 2