Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Viking

• Start Topic

Am I the only one watching this show?  Shakes head, this is quite discouraging.

I have to get used to that this is not historically accurate at all.  I had thought that because this show takes place closer to dates of confirmed historical events it might be more accurate than the mothership - it isn't.

So far I don't like the English characters at all.  Queen Emma comes across as a cold fish with one facial expression. The Crown Prince, dead soon I would guess. David Oakes Earl Godwin has promise though - he could be the kind of devious sort I like in my fiction.  I would say the English deserve to be slaughtered for what they did to the Vikings but I realize the general populace may not have all agreed with their kings genocide. He even slaughtered Christian Vikings who were loyal to him. WTF.

Both Leif and Harald are very attractive in their own way.  Both are smart and rational.  That makes them rootable to me.

Edited by magdalene
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

I am watching this, only three episodes in. I like this so far, but once Freydis got her revenge I’m not really interested in the rest of her story. The Pagan vs Christian is getting old already. Were they really that divided? 
There are a lot of big, bald guys with huge beards and I’m having a hard time telling them apart. Also, why do they always make the young kings in waiting in England look so wussy? 
I look forward to watching the rest of the series and I’m happy there will be a season two. 

• Love 2

Queen Emma is one of the most intriguing women in history. No spoilers but she has a very interesting biography. I’m so glad they mentioned she’s descended from Rollo. The real one.  Between this and David Oakes I’m team Saxon, despite the slant toward the Vikings.

It took a while to keep Harald and Leif straight. Not so interested in Freydis.

The show is ok but it’s no Vikings. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Queen Emma is one of the most intriguing women in history. No spoilers but she has a very interesting biography. I’m so glad they mentioned she’s descended from Rollo. The real one.  Between this and David Oakes I’m team Saxon, despite the slant toward the Vikings.

Smiles. I have come around on Emma.  David Oakes is always interesting.  It took me too long to realize this but Earl Godwin is (historical spoiler)

Spoiler

the father of King Harold Godwinson.  Harald Hardrada loses a famous battle to King Harold in 1066.  And then later in 1066 King Harold loses to William the Conqueror.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Earl of Kattegat is an interesting character.  I'm glad they mentioned her race being different, and that's part of the change in cultures over the years.  The pagan v. Christian thing is hard to see, especially since there are fanatics on either side that are escalating the issues.

Leif is stone cold!  I guess he really didn't feel anything about killing for the first time.

It seems that English lord believes that Vikings will attack through Mercia, but Queen Emma has the truth of it - they are coming through the marches.  It's cool to see the descendants of the characters from Vikings.

Edited by peridot
  • Love 3
(edited)

Queen Emma is not pleased Edmund is an impulsive child like idiot. She seems more regal than he is. 

I like the linage of the characters from the previous series. 

@magdalene I'm watching it although started it a little after it was first released. I am wondering if there are less posts due to the binge nature of this show. I watched the first 6 eps one after the other and I found it hard commenting afterwards as I was worried I might get some ep details mixed up. Maybe others have the same issue?

Edited by LadyIrony
4 hours ago, LadyIrony said:

Queen Emma is not pleased Edmund is an impulsive child like idiot. She seems more regal than he is. 

I like the linage of the characters from the previous series. 

@magdalene I'm watching it although started it a little after it was first released. I am wondering if there are less posts due to the binge nature of this show. I watched the first 6 eps one after the other and I found it hard commenting afterwards as I was worried I might get some ep details mixed up. Maybe others have the same issue?

That makes a lot of sense. I did start to worry after watching several episodes that I might post my thoughts in the wrong episode thread.

On 3/9/2022 at 2:47 PM, magdalene said:

That makes a lot of sense. I did start to worry after watching several episodes that I might post my thoughts in the wrong episode thread.

Thanks. I think also given most us probably watched the eps one after the other or within a short time frame, it removes a lot of time and opportunity for speculation on what might happen next as we already know. Overall it limits chat as opposed to other shows that come out once a week. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, LadyIrony said:

Thanks. I think also given most us probably watched the eps one after the other or within a short time frame, it removes a lot of time and opportunity for speculation on what might happen next as we already know. Overall it limits chat as opposed to other shows that come out once a week. 

This could be. I thought to go back and try to post ep by ep, but maybe I'll just do a series impression in the last ep thread. Maybe we could open a speculation thread? It may be a while before the next season. And I have thoughts.

As for this episode, I did think Leif making the Jarl admit he saw land before his demise was a sharp moment.

Nit-picky, but Harald telling Freydis he was "amazed" by her grated. The word just felt too modern. 

Godwin is going to be that guy.

• Love 1
On 3/11/2022 at 4:13 AM, Kabota said:

This could be. I thought to go back and try to post ep by ep, but maybe I'll just do a series impression in the last ep thread. Maybe we could open a speculation thread? It may be a while before the next season. And I have thoughts.

As for this episode, I did think Leif making the Jarl admit he saw land before his demise was a sharp moment.

Nit-picky, but Harald telling Freydis he was "amazed" by her grated. The word just felt too modern. 

Godwin is going to be that guy.

It is a very modern world. The Shield Maidens as some type of segregated elite body guard. The black Queen. 

The way the Vikings sail back and forward so frequently and with so much ease between England and Denmark. It would have been a 3-6 day journey and not one to be taken lightly, especially by Royalty. But then the way it's presented it's like they just appear where they want to be. 

The way news seems to travel back and forth so quickly is also interesting to me. It's like someone has a cell phone. Just all too quick and simple.