Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Storm Clouds

• Start Topic

Now Tommy is 7 - 0 against the Serbs. That was a quick exit for Tatiana. I thought Tommy was going to spare her, then she had to bring up New York. I guess Mirkovic will be next to arrive (to be eliminated). Not sure why Tatiana would arrive to meet Tommy with just two men when we saw she had more.

Tommy ends it with Gloria because business comes first, and he needs Vic's help so let's not complicate this further. Ok! Let's see how long he resists going back to her.

What was Liliana thinking to not move from her home after she killed two Serbs? And she never knew they were Serbs at the time of their encounter? She just hid the drugs and thought all was well?! The Serbs has her picture now and she will probably still not pack up and leave. 

Liliana had a knife with her all that time? Serbs failed to check her for weapons. They deserved what happened to them.

Liliana has been taking a beating so far. That kiss from Jenard probably hurt the worse. For a moment, I thought those two were going to get it on. Was that tiny amount of bills ....8 grand???

Jenard thought he could buy Liliana to kill Tommy. He just showed his hand. I wonder if Liliana will tell Tommy about his offer.

Not sure why Liliana bother ask Tommy if he has food in his place. Making money is Tommy's sole purpose, buying food is not on his agenda. 

Not too long ago, Tommy and Liliana were trying to kill one another. Now they are protecting each other.

I like Herman. Wished he had explained grandma's involvement in raising JP. Too bad Tommy didn't have a father figure like him and just had Kate.
Herman to Tommy: "That wasn't an invitation for you to jump in. I'm on a roll." LOL!
No JP! On a scale of 1 - 10, Tommy is not a solid 6 or a 7 with a curve. He is 15!

If Tommy wasn't around, I wonder where Diamond would be with CBI now? Since he got out of prison, I have not seen anyone really loyal to him. I don't think Elijah called him out of concern. It must have been part of Jernard's plan to tip off the police. According to Elijah, the young ones had fathers and uncles working for Diamand back then and they would be loyalty to him but so far, I haven't seen anyone show it.

I don't think Diamond told Jenard or Elijah the plan was to meet the Yardies. So when did they know Diamond, Vic and Tommy were going to be there? And I guess Walter knew Vic was there from the cop telling him?! Scene/plot was a little messy.

Then we see the stupid Yardies are driving away in a pickup with rifles exposed like they were in the wild west. 

Once Diamond heard Serbs, he wanted no part of what Tommy is planning. I guess the Serbs were tough when Diamond went to prison. But these Serbs looked like complete fools this episode.

Paulie shouldn't have given his druggie son any cash. The parents go out of their way to give him fresh clothes and food but is just enabling him to stay that way and not go to rehab.

I don't think we've seen Liliana drive a car. She's in good shape to trail Claudia on foot or she knows her bus routes/schedule well.

Dahlia the chemist went to great lengths to falsify records in order to make the drugs. Did she make it one time to impress Mai or check off this goal on her bucket list and didn't have the urge to make more?? Now she has to be forced/black mailed to cook for Claudia. 

Reggie the drug dealer just has a suitcase of cash ready to give Claudia at a moment's notice.

So D Mac knows JP is his father but JP doesn't recognize his son. Curious why the plan was different this time and they had to get out of the car. I think the first three times, they just did a quick drive by. I like the neighbor yelling that she'll call the police. Most would stay hidden in their house and already dial 911.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 3

Heh, Gloria was wearing Tommy out. Got him all dehydrated.

Wait, Paulie works for a drug dealer and his son's not only an addict he's living on the street? Yikes.

Good thing I hit up the googles because I was thinking Yardies were going to be college kids. Nope. Jamaicans.

TMW you watch your old lover confront your new one. Messy. What's Glo doing because it has to be more than just making Vic jealous.

JP's father is a riot. Herman knows what's up and you better sit still while he tells you.

Serbians. Oh boy. Nice use of Tommy's history though.

Was JP really thinking he could confront those gun-toting little gangstas with a baseball bat? He was lucky one of them was his long-last son, who seems to have a conscience. (Good casting on D-Mac, too. He's got the family chin.)

🎶Liliana 'n' Jenard, sittin' in a tree...🎶 🤯

And now you're dead, Tatiana. You made the classic Bond villain mistake: talking too much instead of just getting right to the killing. What are the odds though that what Tommy and Vic did was captured on a security camera in the area?

This show is getting better and better. Even though I love Raq on Book III, Tommy and Book IV have moved up to #1 in my Power Book rankings.

• Love 3

I observed that Vic told Seamus that he couldn’t care for his sister on a cop’s salary. So I’m guessing Seamus’ sister is disabled and he’s caring for her and using the kick back money to assist with that. This could make for a really compelling character, crooked, but with a reason that gives moral complexity. As someone who is a caregiver to their sibling with a disability I would be interested in seeing that. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I didn't remember Tatiana made appearances on Power in Seasons 3 and 4. She was with Milan.

Curious why they brought her back, just to kill her off so fast.

Maybe for world building? I wasn’t a huge fan of this episode. Besides some shooting I don’t think anything happened. 

I love Tommy but his book and the power dynamics of Chicago are confusing me and I was born and raised here! The racial stuff I understand, but this book seems more plot driven than character driven. I still don’t know much about who Diamond is or what motivates him as a person. I feel do get good character stuff with Tommy and JP- the scene with JP’s Dad gave us a lot. 

19 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Heh, Gloria was wearing Tommy out. Got him all dehydrated.

Shiiiit, as fine as he is he'd be dehydrated, hungry and with low blood by the time I was finished with him!  I noticed during the credits that there is an 'intimacy coordinator' on the set....I don't know if I'd be able to do stimulated sex scenes, as once we kiss I'd be goin' for it!

(Fans self)...anywho

Yeah, I see Tommy going back to Gloria.  IMO, he caught a case of the feels the first time they shimmy-shammed.

We really need to get rid of Daddy Flynn, he does nothing for the show…same applies to the son.  Daughter Flynn is sexy af, she reminds me of a great book character from the late Jackie Collins, Lucky Santangelo. 

The scene with Ralphie going to Skid Row came out of nowhere.

I liked Jernard kissing Liliana’s scar, thought they were going to get it on too. 

Liliana and Tommy’s dynamic is sweet and hysterical.

Once again, Patricia Kalember (Kate) must come back at some point.

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Maybe for world building? I wasn’t a huge fan of this episode. Besides some shooting I don’t think anything happened. 

I love Tommy but his book and the power dynamics of Chicago are confusing me and I was born and raised here! The racial stuff I understand, but this book seems more plot driven than character driven. I still don’t know much about who Diamond is or what motivates him as a person. I feel do get good character stuff with Tommy and JP- the scene with JP’s Dad gave us a lot. 

I guess they bring back these old characters to get people to rewatch old episodes??!!

I'm still not hooked yet. 

Diamond is different from others we have seen. He is a main character that doesn't have a circle (ex-lover/friends, etc.) that can bring out a good description of his makeup. It says something about him when the guard at the prison was nice enough to give him barber equipment when he left and there were the two guys at the diner said he was good boxer (but we've heard that already). Selfish Jenard doesn't give much about him and Papa Flynn/Paulie aren't going to provide anything positive. Hopefully soon, we'll be introduced to some people. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Diamond is different from others we have seen. He is a main character that doesn't have a circle (ex-lover/friends, etc.) that can bring out a good description of his makeup. It says something about him when the guard at the prison was nice enough to give him barber equipment when he left and there were the two guys at the diner said he was good boxer (but we've heard that already). Selfish Jenard doesn't give much about him and Papa Flynn/Paulie aren't going to provide anything positive. Hopefully soon, we'll be introduced to some people. 

That's a good point. We don't see him talking to anyone about anything internal- its all plot, plot, plot. Where is are Diamond's parents (or grandparents if they are still alive?) Someone for him to be open and honest with besides his brother. Also- he was gone 15yrs, that is a LONG TIME, especially for a man as young as he is (I am guessing he is mid to late 30s?).

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

That's a good point. We don't see him talking to anyone about anything internal- its all plot, plot, plot. Where is are Diamond's parents (or grandparents if they are still alive?) Someone for him to be open and honest with besides his brother. Also- he was gone 15yrs, that is a LONG TIME, especially for a man as young as he is (I am guessing he is mid to late 30s?).

Diamond should be around Tommy's age (38 - 43). Kanan was in high school in the early 90s and Ghost and Tommy are younger than him.

Also, could the writers tell us what Diamond did to go to prison for 15 years? 

If the writers don't start revealing, I'm going to get the feel they just want an "instant mix" Ghost substitute for Tommy.

We'll probably see Seamus' sister before any friend or family from Diamond.

58 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Also, could the writers tell us what Diamond did to go to prison for 15 years? 

Probably possession with intent to distribute (what he is doing right now)- likely he had illegal firearms on him which upped the sentence. 

58 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Diamond should be around Tommy's age (38 - 43). Kanan was in high school in the early 90s and Ghost and Tommy are younger than him.

If Diamond is 40, he went way at 25, if he was in the game at 15, he was in prison longer than he was drug dealing. 15 years is a LONG TIME for someone who just hit midlife. Its not as if he is Daddy Flynn (who I assume is in his 60s) and was doing this for decades before he went to prison. 

41 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Probably possession with intent to distribute (what he is doing right now)- likely he had illegal firearms on him which upped the sentence. 

If Diamond is 40, he went way at 25, if he was in the game at 15, he was in prison longer than he was drug dealing. 15 years is a LONG TIME for someone who just hit midlife. Its not as if he is Daddy Flynn (who I assume is in his 60s) and was doing this for decades before he went to prison. 

Going by the "always trustworthy" Power Wiki, they state Diamond's birth year is 1980.

Jenard said he had passed on college to run CBI, so that would put him around 32-34.

Yes. The show makes out Flynn and Diamond have this long history. Flynn was having fueds with kids.

17 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Going by the "always trustworthy" Power Wiki, they state Diamond's birth year is 1980.

Jenard said he had passed on college to run CBI, so that would put him around 32-34.

Yes. The show makes out Flynn and Diamond have this long history. Flynn was having fueds with kids.

That sounds about right age wise and makes Flynn look like an idiot. 

A few things:

The first few eps had the main players in Chicago wondering "Who is this guy?" No one knew Tommy. Now a few know him by name. Diamond is picking up a little more about Tommy's past and his former partner. Still, no one from that Flynn family with the connections they should have never asked contacts in other cities who this apparently experienced white guy with such a noticeable car taking things by storm.

The Flynn son has a huge tattoo on the side of his neck. Makes me wonder how that went over with such a conservative father.

With these cable TV shows it is now these Eastern European drug cartels that are the most vicious and sadistic. The Serbians in this one, "Banshee" had the Ukranians, the Albanians were in the old show "The Shield". Before it used to be South American cartels like the Columbians, and Argentinians. Change in tropes.

Some of the scenes have all this "tough" posturing. The Flynn daughter wants to go in her own direction and the brother wants more than dealing to college kids. I suspect the father who is holding them back will get a heart attack or so by the end of the season and the children shall lead.

A lot of loose threads so far: The FBI doing photography on Tommy walking out of the bar, the cop on Flynn's payroll supporting his sick sister, the Flynn kids, The Flynn henchman seeing his son on the street, Tommy's half brother and his estranged son, and so on.

The dialogue is decent, as is the AAVE (Google AAVE and have fun 😁)

And to think that back in the 80's, it was "Miami Vice" that was seen as an "edgy" show.