Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Firestarter

• Start Topic

What is with the Flynns chasing/pulling over Tommy on busy streets disrupting traffic? I'd be furiously honking my horn if I was driving behind them.

Liliana doesn't "do it" for Tommy?! What is wrong with this man?

With 10 bricks in the house for weeks, what was her plan to do with it before Tommy arrived? It was buried and she was watching TV when he kicked her door down. Now in a blink of an eye, Tommy has a plan, it's cut, and they are trying to move it. Liliana talks big about making money but comes off as a slacker.

50/50? Liliana is crazy to think Tommy needs her now. He has all the drugs and after she cut it. She doesn't have a connection to get more.

When did Pink sneaker girl have time to put a non-straight scar on Liliana? It was a quick slash in the elevator. When did Zorro arrive in the Power Universe?

Must be a slow day at the police station. Chicago is supposedly a busy city with crime and the police staion has an empty line of no one to pay bail for people arrested? Vic just strolls in and out without a long wait.

The black cop's last name is Bennigan and puppet for the Flynns. Interesting.

When did Jenard come up with the master plan to trick Diamond into winning top seat? It's not going to end well for Jenard. This petty fool has to remind Diamond every damn time he gets: he is a grown ass man, times has changed and he made CBI what it is today. If Diamond calmly ask him to pass the ketchup, you know Jenard will tell him "I am the man" and throw it at him. 

JP and his father were out of grandma's life for a while and don't know who put her in the home and guessed who is paying? 

JP comes off as a man with morals and values. Soon this show will have him corrupted. No one who starts innocent is safe in this universe.

Tommy said Illinois with an "s".

Hasta lue.... "go".

Tommy really thought he couldn't have prevented Ghost from being killed. Well someone or something prevented him from the many times he tried to kill Ghost.

Prison must have made Diamond forget baseball's unwritten rule: if a pitcher throws at your head, charge the mound and fight.

Nice to see the show not have the stereotype of Jenard/Diamond talk while playing basketball and have it with baseball.

Could Tommy have been any louder telling the people in the gym there's a meeting with Diamond and Walter Flynn? No wonder the FBI was outside.

Shouldn't Diamond or Walter have informed Tommy there is bad history with CBI and the Flynns? Made Tommy looked stupid at the meeting.

Why Walter bother agree to the meeting if he knew the Italians, Polish and Greeks would frown on him? Seems he was always going to say "no".

What is Vic not doing for Gloria that strained their marriage? She tells him to "start standing up for her" but he is buying a new tombstone and is always around visiting her. What more is she demanding from him?

Didn't we see last episode, Tommy delivering Rojas' drugs to other organizations. He could have tried to make deals with them (except the drug house) before he called Diamond and the Flynns.

The Colin scene was odd. I don't think Tommy and Vic went there with intentions to kill him. It showed Vic couldn't de-escalate the situation, not able to talk his way into making a deal, easily sensitive with Colin's insult and resorted to killing Colin. And after all that time, the girl didn't die from an overdose. Colin was right: she is a light weight.

Now the FBI (I don't think they were local police) has pictures of Tommy to know he's alive. Tommy's picture should be in their database. He should be arrested next week, if the agents takes time to stop eating and smoking. If the FBI spends time trying to figure out who Tommy is, I might throw my remote at the TV.

Did Walter really need to send Claudia to send a message to the Alderman? She never used anything seductive on him. Walter, Paulie or (maybe)Vic could have delivered the message showing his daughter just as well. 

Liliana asked Tommy why is he so paranoid asking about who owns the drugs. She is just as paranoid thinking Tommy is in town to kill her.

Flynn killed 9 of Diamond's men and there was no retaliation!? I thought Diamond was supposed to be ruthless back in the day?! According to Jenard: the old Diamand would have popped Tommy.

Thank goodness the episode didn't end with a jealous Vic staring from the outside at Tommy and Gloria going at it.

"Were the fucking Flynns!" Could the actor put more emotion in that delivery?

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 1

How long has Lilliana been in Chicago that she didn't know Ghost was dead? And how long has she been sitting on that stolen coke?

"Stop frontin' like you know the difference between BLM and BET." Lol, Tommy is savage.

Fat Tony ain't loyal. Let his guy Cokehead Colin take a bullet in the face. Must've been the keto. 😉

Wonder why Tommy and Lilliana didn't run the coke around to the area universities? Too close to PBIII or would he have been encroaching on Flynn or CBI territory?

Lol, Diamond was like, "This is my fist sending a message to your face, J." 🥴

Alderman Liam was a straight up fool. How could it not have occurred to him that the Flynns would go after his family if he didn't stick with established arrangement?

"Chaos creates opportunity." Didn't honor student Tariq already use that one on PBIII? 🙄

Meanwhile, who were those people taking photos of Tommy with the zoom lens?

Enhanced diet pill drug shot down by the FDA, turned into a life of crime by a corrupt insider. Heh, Goliath already did that storyline, 50.

Not sure if I trust Gloria. Tommy better not get sprung before he's sure she's not playing him against Vic.

Why Walter bother agree to the meeting if he knew the Italians, Polish and Greeks would frown on him? Seems he was always going to say "no".

I think he really wanted a moment to tell Diamond to go eff himself in the most racist way possible without getting killed on the spot. He may not get many more opportunities if he's fading fast healthwise.

If the FBI spends time trying to figure out who Tommy is, I might throw my remote at the TV.

Wow, I didn't pick up on their being FBI. They're not very good at their jobs if they are since Tommy possibly made them from his car. Anyhoo, even if they figure out who he is, perhaps they're after bigger fish, like the Flynns.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

How long has Lilliana been in Chicago that she didn't know Ghost was dead? And how long has she been sitting on that stolen coke?

I believe she has been in Chicago for years. Julio gave her money to leave NYC shortly after she left the hospital. She was sitting on the coke for a few weeks. She claimed she killed the guy that owned it. But someone will be coming to look for it. She should have moved immediately to a new place after events happened.

23 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Wonder why Tommy and Lilliana didn't run the coke around to the area universities?

Seems Tommy was hell bent to work only with CBI and The Flynns. Liliana claimed she had a person who can move it and Tommy never gave it a thought. Last episode, Tommy met the lady at the auto shop and could have dealt with her. I guess he wants to go straight to the top in Chicago.

26 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I think he really wanted a moment to tell Diamond to go eff himself in the most racist way possible without getting killed on the spot. He may not get many more opportunities if he's fading fast healthwise.

Seems like it. Hope he gets a sweet death!

29 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Wow, I didn't pick up on their being FBI. They're not very good at their jobs if they are since Tommy possibly made them from his car. Anyhoo, even if they figure out who he is, perhaps they're after bigger fish, like the Flynns.

I should have added DEA to the possibility of which agency was taking pictures. Yes. They were careless being easily seen by Tommy.

Tommy was on the Most Wanted list before he faked his death. Even if the Flynns are the main target, if Tommy's name comes up, they have to go after him.

35 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Not sure if I trust Gloria. Tommy better not get sprung before he's sure she's not playing him against Vic.

Yup. And we know Tommy's history with women. It never ends well. 

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Fat Tony ain't loyal. Let his guy Cokehead Colin take a bullet in the face. Must've been the keto.

Keto must give a person clarity.

I like that Tommy gave Vic a pillow to muffle the sound but Colin already fired a shot earlier. Someone must have heard it in the building and called the police. With Vic using a pillow, (at that close range) wouldn't the bullet go through the floor to the neighbors downstairs?

With Vic using a pillow, (at that close range) wouldn't the bullet go through the floor to the neighbors downstairs?

I'm hardly knowledgeable about guns and bullets but wouldn't it depend on the caliber and type of bullet? I think there are bullets which are specifically made not to pass through the body or whatever reasonably solid thing they're aimed at. Otherwise, maybe it's another one of those things handwaved away by the writers.

"Chaos creates opportunity." Didn't honor student Tariq already use that one on PBIII? 🙄

Quoting myself to say, it wasn't Tariq it was Lord Baelish on Game of Thrones. Baelish said chaos is a ladder, meaning he used it climb above the fray and take advantage of the momentary distraction.

11 hours ago, mxc90 said:

What is Vic not doing for Gloria that strained their marriage? She tells him to "start standing up for her" but he is buying a new tombstone and is always around visiting her. What more is she demanding from him?

Vic and Gloria weren’t married. Gloria was married to a vet who died in combat, she likely got with Vic after that, and has been fooling around with him a long while if her mom who died in 2018 knew about them. 

Gloria realizes that she can never be more than a side piece to Vic (she can’t be his wife or even his long term partner) because his father won’t allow him to partner with a woman who’s not Irish. I don’t think his Dad cares if he sleeps with Gloria on the side (or has kids with her), but he better marry and breed with an appropriate Irish woman. 

3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I agree. 

• Useful 1

I watch this and I feel like I just don't have much to comment on like I normally would.

16 hours ago, mxc90 said:

What is with the Flynns chasing/pulling over Tommy on busy streets disrupting traffic?

Yes! I asked myself while watching "is it their signature move? Why do they feel the need to do this? This could be a phone call or a chat over lunch."

5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Gloria realizes that she can never be more than a side piece to Vic (she can’t be his wife or even his long term partner) because his father won’t allow him to partner with a woman who’s not Irish.

At least until his father dies...

When did Jenard come up with the master plan to trick Diamond into winning top seat?

I'm really trying to understand what's the point.

Didn't we see last episode, Tommy delivering Rojas' drugs to other organizations. He could have tried to make deals with them (except the drug house) before he called Diamond and the Flynns.

I think at this point, Tommy trusts Diamond. Other than access, what Tommy sees in the Fynns... the fuck if I know.

Shouldn't Diamond or Walter have informed Tommy there is bad history with CBI and the Flynns? Made Tommy looked stupid at the meeting.

Agreed. That was a waste of time. Walter Flynn set up this meeting just to insult Diamond. WHO. DOES. THAT?

Nobody sets up meetings just to waste time and throw insults.

Flynn killed 9 of Diamond's men and there was no retaliation!? I thought Diamond was supposed to be ruthless back in the day?!

Especially if they were killed over something your crew really didn't do.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 1

I don’t know what the heck is going on with most of these storylines, but Tommy (and JS) is already making this a far more enjoyable watch than the Tariq spinoff.

While Tommy was Ghost’s partner, their relationship always seemed like like boss-subordinate in business and big brother-little brother personally. It’s nice to see sans Ghost what helped Tommy get to the level he did in NY. And apparently that was having the biggest balls of any person alive. Tommy was great in the scene at the boxing gym.

Everytime I see Jenard, I think of CamRon. How his plan for taking down Diamond involved getting knocked out, I’m not sure.

I loved Lili Simmons on Banshee and I’m looking forward to seeing her take in a bigger role here.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Vic and Gloria weren’t married. Gloria was married to a vet who died in combat, she likely got with Vic after that, and has been fooling around with him a long while if her mom who died in 2018 knew about them. 

Thanks. I got those two mixed up.

9 hours ago, AntFTW said:

I'm really trying to understand what's the point.

Me too. His friend didn't look upset losing $500 to Tommy. Was that part of the plan too? They must have planned to spark the fight another way but Tommy came along with the Flynn meeting and they went from there.

Or maybe after the third punch from Diamond, Jenard must have thought of the Obi Wan line to Vader: "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine". Good luck with that Jenard!

For his plan to work he will need to sabotage a lot of Diamond's decisions to make him look bad in front of the rank and file or maybe he wants a civil war (but that benefits no one).

9 hours ago, AntFTW said:

Agreed. That was a waste of time. Walter Flynn set up this meeting just to insult Diamond. WHO. DOES. THAT?

Nobody sets up meetings just to waste time and throw insults.

I understand @Joimiaroxeu point for Walter's reason but what is Diamond's reason? He put way too much faith in "unknowing" Tommy to set up this meeting. He knew there was bad blood 20 years ago, he just got out of prison, and he doesn't know if Flynn or Paulie (blaming him for his wife) were still holding a grudge. He accepted the invitation and could have walked into a deadly ambush.

Also, there was no one from Flynn's side checking Diamond for any weapons when he entered. Some mobsters they are!

• Love 2

Walter Flynn set up this meeting just to insult Diamond. WHO. DOES. THAT?

what is Diamond's reason? 

I think in both cases it was pure ego. Walter is dying and both his kids are trying to usurp his power before he's even in the grave. He wanted to show everybody he's still The Boss, with an extra side helping of racism. Diamond was still bristling from Jenard telling him he's not running the South Side drug game anymore, and after his decades in prison, the game has changed too much for him to handle. He wanted to negotiate a big, lucrative deal to reestablish his bona fides as CBI's leader.

As far as Tommy is concerned, if he had succeeded in brokering the agreement between the Flynns and CBI, he would've been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize and possibly gotten a free trip to Norway later this year. 😏

Tommy (and JS) is already making this a far more enjoyable watch than the Tariq spinoff.

He sure is. It seems like this is the Power Book fans were most looking forward to because people really like Tommy/JS. Tariq is widely loathed as a precocious brat and I still don't understand why he merited his own show.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, nasir jones said:

While Tommy was Ghost’s partner, their relationship always seemed like like boss-subordinate in business and big brother-little brother personally. It’s nice to see sans Ghost what helped Tommy get to the level he did in NY. And apparently that was having the biggest balls of any person alive. Tommy was great in the scene at the boxing gym.

Yes I agree with this. James was the brains and Tommy was the muscle. Not that Tommy was stupid mind you (he’s not) but James/Ghost was better at seeing the long game and laundering the money etc. Tommy isn’t afraid of anything and that makes him a scary mother fucker.