Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Motherland

Pallas
  • Start Topic

I considered her handler being her mother early on, but dismissed it, because that would be too dumb. Well, guess this show is that dumb.

Also the big twist of her being a sleeper agent doens't make any sense. So she was out of comission for 20 years, for what? So that she could be randomly found by a CIA asset and become a low level operative? She is a shapeshifter. She is waaaay too valueable for such a mission. Literally anybody else could have done that in way less time.

Also I guess her mother was sent to siberia even thogh she was still loyal, as a cover? Man that is cold. But I guess she did deserve it.

Edited by Zonk
  • Useful 1
On 2/1/2022 at 7:30 AM, Zonk said:

Also the big twist of her being a sleeper agent doens't make any sense. So she was out of comission for 20 years, for what? So that she could be randomly found by a CIA asset and become a low level operative? She is a shapeshifter. She is waaaay too valueable for such a mission. Literally anybody else could have done that in way less time.

Sooooo much THIS! But I guess the show wanted to throw in a shocking “twist” to end the first season.  Just wish that twist made more sense so a freaking shape shifter wasn’t put on ice for a couple of decades. Would a government IRL really choose to put a shape shifter on hiatus?!

And I too had a sneaking suspicion that Svetlana would turn out to be Anya’s mom. 

Finally, I think Chauncey’s name is dumb but if he’s really a trust fund recipient, I guess it makes sense he has a poofy name. 

• Love 1

This was a horrible show that I still enjoyed. I suspect there is no point trying to make sense of any of it, but things I don't understand:

a) how did Svetlana have the ability to mind control people and when did she acquire it?

b) why did she use it to make the four people commit such gruesome, attention-grabbing acts instead of just having them commit suicide?

c) why did Su Yin help Anya and Faina? was Anya actually involved with him at any point? was Faina? was he just that motivated by the possibility of a threesome (and wouldn't he have spoken with Faina explicitly about it given that they seemed to be good friends?)

d) everything to do with Becca

e) why Svetlana masterminded Anya being brought in from the cold. if Svetlana was sacrificing herself as part of a long con to embed Anya in the CIA, it seems like there would have been far easier and more reliable ways to do it. if Svetlana's plot was genuine, why would she want the risk of Anya's opposition? 

On 2/1/2022 at 10:30 AM, Zonk said:

I considered her handler being her mother early on, but dismissed it, because that would be too dumb. Well, guess this show is that dumb.

Also I guess her mother was sent to siberia even thogh she was still loyal, as a cover? Man that is cold. But I guess she did deserve it.

Agree, I was disappointed in that ending. The show had a sort of Alias feel, and I thought it had a chance, but the super secret double cross doesn't interest me. You won’t want to root for a Russian double agent, and all the time wasted in her almost being caught will be annoying. If it comes back I fully expect to see a double double double cross, because even the show must realize we need to root for someone. 

53 minutes ago, Ottis said:

Agree, I was disappointed in that ending. The show had a sort of Alias feel, and I thought it had a chance, but the super secret double cross doesn't interest me. You won’t want to root for a Russian double agent, and all the time wasted in her almost being caught will be annoying. If it comes back I fully expect to see a double double double cross, because even the show must realize we need to root for someone. 

This!  But as to the show coming back, do we know what is going on?