Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers: Invasion of Secrets

• Start Topic

Captain America Musical Tease Spotted on Disney+'s Secret Invasion Set (Photos)
By Richard Nebens   Feb 28, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/captain-america-musical-disney-plus-secret-invasion-set-photo 

Twitter users @Roxmanoff and @phil_pott shared behind-the-scenes photos from the set of Marvel Studios' Secret Invasion in London, UK. Specifically, these shots we taken at the Liverpool Street Station in central London, which is now adorned with a poster for the MCU in-universe Broadway play Rogers: The Musical:

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

MCU Leak Spoils Don Cheadle's Next Marvel Appearance (Photo)
By Savannah Sanders   Feb 28, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/mcu-don-cheadle-marvel-secret-invasion-photo 

On Instagram, @the_insta_phils shared new behind-the-scenes images from the Secret Invasion set in Liverpool Street Station in London, U.K., including prop newspapers featuring Don Cheadle's Rhodey on the front page.

In addition to the newspaper headline which reads "President Ritson in London for Emergency Talks," Cheadle's Rhodey is pictured greeting the assumed new President of the United States within the MCU. 
In addition to Rhodey being in a suit and tie as opposed to his military uniform, the newspaper also references an "emergency summit" and "unprecedented tensions."
Even though Don Cheadle's role in Secret Invasion has yet to be confirmed, the fact that he's front and center on a prop newspaper implies that he might make an appearance in the series. The question is just how long and impactful his cameo could be.

war-machine-1.jpg 

war-machine-2.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Secret Invasion Set Photos Reportedly Spoil Surprising Actor as New US President in the MCU
By ADAM BARNHARDT - March 1, 2022
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/secret-invasion-set-photos-leak-dermot-mulroney-president-mcu/ 

A new leak from the set of Secret Invasion has surfaced online, revealing the Marvel Cinematic Universe has a new president. Given that the story lends itself to espionage and involves a few characters from Marvel's first spy thriller in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, it makes perfect sense for the President of the United States to appear. This time around, however, it looks like the character is being played by veteran actor Dermot Mulroney.

Mulroney has appeared in countless projects throughout his career in Hollywood but most recently, he's known for appearing in Shameless, Arrested Development, and Hanna. His character, President Ritson, is visible in a prop newspaper captured by set-tracking paparazzi, appearing right alongside Don Cheadle's War Machine. See it for yourself in the gallery below.
Interestingly enough, the writers behind Avengers: Endgame initially intended for James Rhodes (Cheadle) to play the vice president during the team-up flick in a post-Blip world. Instead, they scrubbed it from the final draft they filmed from.

"We took it out because it didn't have any story weight, but I believe that during one draft, in the five year jump, Rhodie became vice president," Christopher Markus told ComicBook.com back in 2019. "Vice President Rhodey."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Secret Invasion: Samuel L. Jackson Confirms Martin Freeman Casting
Posted on March 12, 2022 by Ray Flook
https://bleedingcool.com/tv/secret-invasion-samuel-l-jackson-confirms-martin-freeman-casting/ 

During the live panel, "Samuel L. Jackson: In Conversation with Josh Horowitz," Jackson was asked about the upcoming MCU series Secret Invasion when he offered the audience a great retelling of when he and Coleman first met up ahead of filming and how excited he was to be working with someone of her acting caliber. At one point, host Josh Horowitz mentions a number of the impressive names that were attached to the series, and that's when Jackson dropped Martin Freeman's (Sherlock) name. So it would appear that Freeman's Everett K. Ross (Captain America: Civil War, Black Panther, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever) will also be making the leap to the small screen. But will it be the real Ross or a Skrull… or has Ross been a Skrull all along?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Don Cheadle Confirms Secret Invasion Leads Into Armor Wars
BY LEON MILLER    PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
https://www.cbr.com/don-cheadle-secret-invasion-leads-armor-wars/ 

Cheadle revealed that Secret Invasion will lay the groundwork for Armor Wars in an interview with Total Film. "It's bananas! And it's very expansive," he said. "And obviously now that everyone can show up in everybody else's story. I mean, I'm in Secret Invasion, so I'm in Sam [Jackson]'s show. There's a part of that, that kicks off what happens in Armor Wars."

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)

Don Cheadle acts with Samuel L. Jackson for the first time in Secret Invasion
By Devan Coggan   May 08, 2023 
https://ew.com/tv/don-cheadle-marvel-secret-invasion-interview/ 

When the show begins, Rhodey (a.k.a. "War Machine") has graduated from Air Force colonel to "righthand to the president," and Cheadle describes him as someone working closely with the White House to help contain threats. "In this one, he finds himself not directly at odds but somewhat on the other side of where Fury is," Cheadle teases.
The result is a twisty thriller that Cheadle says will feel more like a Cold War spy story than a candy-colored superhero flick.

"It speaks to the elasticity of what the MCU can be," he adds. "This one feels much closer to a movie like Bourne Identity or something that's more along the tone of a '70s movie. It's not as much about the bells and whistles of big special effects. It's more about the intrigue and drama, the espionage and double-crosses. And I still think it fits perfectly with what the MCU is able to do and pull off."
He's also got another project in the works: Secret Invasion will help set up Armor Wars, a planned standalone film that's all about Rhodey. Cheadle is tight-lipped about what that project will entail — or when we might see it — but he says he's excited to uncover new sides of a character he's played for so long.

"The fun part about it is that we're going to continue to explore Rhodey and — in some ways for the first time — get to see what makes him tick," Cheadle explains. "We understand his physical challenges, but we haven't really yet dug into a lot of his emotional and psychological [challenges]."

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Rumor.

Along with naming names on who is, and has been a Skrull in previous appearances the Den of Nerds are claiming that some guy that has been accurate in the past says Chole Bennet will make two appearances as Quake.  But any canon of discussion for Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is left up in the air as with Kingpin and Daredevil and their Netflix appearances

• Like 2
On 5/21/2023 at 6:44 PM, Raja said:

Rumor.

Along with naming names on who is, and has been a Skrull in previous appearances the Den of Nerds are claiming that some guy that has been accurate in the past says Chole Bennet will make two appearances as Quake.  But any canon of discussion for Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is left up in the air as with Kingpin and Daredevil and their Netflix appearances

Spoiler

I want this to be true so bad. But if they are, where are the REAL Rhodey and Sharon?

• Like 2
(edited)

Cobie Smulders on Her Tragic MCU Fate: “I’m Pretty Sure This Is It”
BY DAVID CANFIELD   JUNE 23, 2023
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/06/cobie-smulders-marvel-fate-exclusive-interview 

From the moment she was offered a role in Secret Invasion, Cobie Smulders knew she’d be saying goodbye. She’s held on to the twist for well over a year—fashioning “a whole shuffle-step dance” at press events, carefully talking around her fate in the MCU’s newest series without giving anything away. Now she can at last discuss it, and breathes a palpable, slightly melancholy sigh of relief in her first interview. “Finally it’s out there,” she tells me over Zoom. “I’ve been well trained—yeah, I’ve had to keep secrets.”
We’re now firmly in the era of multiverses and time-jumps, so question one: Is Hill really dead? “I mean, I didn’t know I was an alien in Spider-Man,” Smulders cracks, referencing the twist of her appearance in Far From Home. “There is a multiverse now, so anything is possible. But I’m pretty sure this is it.” (As for rumors that she appears in this fall’s The Marvels, Smulders denies them: “I don’t know anything about that.”) During our conversation, Smulders speaks of Hill’s fate with a certain finality, having made peace with the fact that this is likely the end. “It felt and it feels strange,” she says. “Maria Hill’s passing is very real, and it’s shocking, and it feels very human.” She adds, “It was a sad day.”
There was nervousness around news of Hill’s death potentially leaking. The script wasn’t printed out, of course—Marvel’s learned not to do that by now—and as they got to filming the big scene just north of London, you could feel the paranoia. A few drones flew overhead; they were chased down to ensure nothing was sussed out. (“They did find somebody, so sorry to that person,” Smulders says vaguely.) It took multiple days to shoot—with the explosions and initial reactions to the attack orchestrated by Gravik coming first, followed by Smulders’s big moment. She did three takes of Hill’s last gasp. It was the last thing Smulders ever filmed for the show—and as Maria Hill.

The squib attached to Smulders’s stomach activated where the character was shot, prompting Smulders to instantly react as if she were losing breath. She looked Jackson in the eye each take, very precisely playing the beats of what Hill had gleaned from the situation by the time she’d passed on. The mood was emotional. Smulders was saying goodbye to a role she’d been playing for more than 10 years at the same time that she was trying to nail a tricky, ambiguous, deeply emotional scene.

“To have Fury see himself, to know that Hill thinks that Fury shot her—that’s the pain of that moment,” Smulders says. “I like to think that she, by the time she passed, knew it wasn’t him. Initially, it’s terrifying and so confusing. But I’d like to think she got there.”

Secret Invasion Director on Finding the ‘Emotional Truth’ in Episode 1’s Shocking Climax — Grade the Premiere
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH  JUNE 21, 2023 
https://tvline.com/recaps/secret-invasion-maria-hill-dies-cobie-smulders-recap-episode-1-1235003104/ 

The following contains major spoilers for the Secret Invasion series premiere, now streaming on Disney+.

In retrospect, it is quite evident why Cobie Smulders told TVLine last fall that Disney+’s Secret Invasion series would not necessarily give us the “most” Maria Hill ever, but instead offer “the most depth” she’d been able to bring to the character in her 11-year MCU run. Rewatch that video here:
Because not 55 minutes into the six-episode Marvel TV series, Maria Hill would take her last breath, after being most unexpectedly shot at close range by “Nick Fury” — or, more accurately, rebel Skrull leader Gravik, who had shapeshifted into her old boss.
TVLine spoke with Ali Selim, who directed all six episodes of Disney+’s latest Marvel series, about doing justice to so pivotal a moment in MCU history. (Smulders had played Maria Hill in nearly a dozen live-action and animated Marvel projects since her debut in 2011’s The Avengers, including the MCU-adjacent ABC series Agents of SHIELD and most recently in Spider-Man: Far From Home.)

“I think that with any scene in a story,” Selim said, “you have to remain truthful to the story, and you have to remain truthful to Maria Hill’s character — being confused by the fact that she was just shot by who she thinks is Nick Fury.

“It’s really just about talking to Cobie about the emotional truth of that rather than the bigness of Maria Hill and the MCU,” the director continued, “because that moment lives or dies on the look on Cobie’s face, and that look is strictly, ‘I can’t believe that just happened,’ and wanting that to be truthful.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Affogato said:

I had hoped that this was a fake out of some sort, but this sounds like it is real.

It wouldn’t surprise me but I don’t think you can go but what is said in the press while the show is still airing. If it’s a fake-out they would absolutely want people to think it is real. If anything I would expect her to be more cagey if it was real. 

Speculation

We don't know Fury will be okay because he is in The Marvels trailer. But rather because of the production schedule, The Marvels moving to months later than planned, it becomes a prequel to Secret Invasion. So perhaps part of the fall out from there causes Gravik and his cell to go operational against humanity

• Like 2
(edited)

‘Secret Invasion’ Director Ali Selim Discusses Episode 2 & What’s Going On With Nick Fury’s Wife
By Katie Campione  June 28, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/06/secret-invasion-episode-2-ending-nick-fury-wife-ali-selim-director-interview-1235426247/ 

As Fury enters the home and rounds the corner, the woman is now in human form. We soon learn that this is his wife, Priscilla Fury. Or is it? The episode leaves it unclear whether or not Fury is aware that his wife is a Skrull.

“In the script, he knows. And when we shot it, it was interesting that maybe he didn’t know. We ultimately edited it in a way that made people feel like, ‘I wonder if he knows or not,'” director Ali Selim told Deadline. “I can’t tease anything forward about his wife. The conversation in the lobby after the premiere the other night was, ‘Does he know she’s a Skrull? Or does he not?’ And I think either way works.”

Selim added that it will soon become clear whether they decided to stick to the script and keep Fury aware that his wife is a Skrull. Either way, it presents complications. If Fury doesn’t know that Priscilla is a Skrull, then the rebel infiltration may be much closer to home than he thinks. But even if he does know, the flashback at the beginning of the episode leaves audiences to assume that she once had a connection to Gravik — which could put a wrinkle in Fury’s plan to stop him.

“I think his wife is a support and a complication, and I think you will learn interesting things about their relationship…going forward,” Selim said. “But ultimately, that is the personal issue that he needs to confront to make this make sense to him.”

As the rest of the season unfolds, Fury’s mission to stop Gravik will continue to get a whole lot more personal, Selim teased.

“The mission is external and it’s internal. I think that Nick Fury has to vanquish a villain, and the reason he has to vanquish that villain is that he created that villain through his promise. That’s what makes it personal,” Selim said. “I think that also is what makes this a more human Marvel story and a more dark psychological Marvel story.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1