Type keyword(s) to search

S01:E06 The Last Word

• Start Topic

I’m glad Mamie was able to find some happiness after everything she went through, but it still unforgivable that she died without getting any kind of real justice. And for the murderers to brazenly print their so-called confession (which was just another excuse to smear Emmet’s character) getting away with it was another insult to injury.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I’m glad Mamie was able to find some happiness after everything she went through, but it still unforgivable that she died without getting any kind of real justice. And for the murderers to brazenly print their so-called confession (which was just another excuse to smear Emmet’s character) getting away with it was another insult to injury.

I read that Look magazine article years ago (you can find it online). It's more horrific reading than the episode showed. But I was happily reminded that the Bryant store went out of business and they all went bankrupt because of what they did. 

The series was really well done though.

• Love 7
On 1/21/2022 at 1:14 PM, ABitOFluff said:

I read that Look magazine article years ago (you can find it online). It's more horrific reading than the episode showed. But I was happily reminded that the Bryant store went out of business and they all went bankrupt because of what they did. 

The series was really well done though.

I'm glad at least that happened but not nearly enough for what they did to that poor boy. I know it was accurate but it's so horrifying. The men talking about the murder like it was no big deal. Then again to them. Of course it wasn't. I'll never understand how so many people could be perfectly fine with what happened to Emmett Till. He was a kid.

I'm glad Mamie got some happiness.

They did a great job. So infuriating what happened. Adrienne Warren is a really beautiful woman.

• Love 2

I looked up the book that was listed as "based on"--it's called The Blood of Emmett Till, written by Timothy B. Tyson. Whilst browsing this on Amazon, I saw another listing for a book (Simeon's Story) written by Emmett's cousin Simeon, the little boy you see in the Mississippi scenes. Bought them both, I'll let you know what I think.

• Useful 4
On 1/25/2022 at 1:07 AM, CeeBeeGee said:

I looked up the book that was listed as "based on"--it's called The Blood of Emmett Till, written by Timothy B. Tyson. Whilst browsing this on Amazon, I saw another listing for a book (Simeon's Story) written by Emmett's cousin Simeon, the little boy you see in the Mississippi scenes. Bought them both, I'll let you know what I think.

Did you finish Simeons Story? I would love to know more about Mose and what happened to them after the trial.

• Love 1
On 3/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, hiisa said:

Did you finish Simeons Story? I would love to know more about Mose and what happened to them after the trial.

It's a great read. Not long (>140 pp.), simple, heartfelt language. It sets the scene very well, and actually paints a picture of a life that is in many respects quite idyllic...once you get past the brutal, systemic racism. But his sweet country life (which is something I thought the miniseries did well, those scenes of idyllic rural Mississippi life) is well depicted. It really does a great job of making you experience a completely different way of life.

Mose was far from a country bumpkin, although he has been portrayed as such frequently. He was actually quite savvy and as such very prosperous. He refused to have any business dealings with racist white men, and had the wherewithal to avoid such. Simeon said when Mose ID'd the two murderers in court (one well known article had Mose saying "Thar he" but Simeon said Mose said "There he is"), he looked out into the sea of spectators and as soon as he saw the faces of the white spectators, he knew he'd have to leave Mississippi, which he'd never wanted to do. Most of the family left for Chicago within a few days, although Simeon's mother had left immediately after Bobo's (SImeon always calls Emmett this) abduction/murder. Simeon adjusted well to Chicago--he said his classmates knew of his connection to Bobo and were solicitous toward him.

Simeon said that every day he thinks of Bobo--it's obvious he is still haunted by it. After the incident at the grocery store, Bobo begged the others not to say anything to Simeon's mom and dad--if they had, Mose would've put him on the first train back to Chicago. God, so many what ifs. Utterly, utterly heartbreaking.

2 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

(one well known article had Mose saying "Thar he" but Simeon said Mose said "There he is"), 

I don't recall from this miniseries--do they have Mose saying there he is? I know that I was personally impressed with the dignity that Glynn imbued him with and I loved how they showed Mamie angry with him---shes not (or hasn't been) a Mississippi southern girl for years. There's knowing how they act in your head and then seeing it for yourself and being reminded of what it was really like for Mose. That was beautifully executed. But I really thought---whatever the dialogue Glynn played him so very respectfully.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, hiisa said:

I don't recall from this miniseries--do they have Mose saying there he is? I know that I was personally impressed with the dignity that Glynn imbued him with and I loved how they showed Mamie angry with him---shes not (or hasn't been) a Mississippi southern girl for years. There's knowing how they act in your head and then seeing it for yourself and being reminded of what it was really like for Mose. That was beautifully executed. But I really thought---whatever the dialogue Glynn played him so very respectfully.

I agree the miniseries portrayed him very respectfully. I can't remember that exact moment but I was impressed with his portrayal. In Simeon's book, he says

Among the many inaccuracies that have accumulated over the years, the one that disturbs me the most is one of the most often repeated. According to the story, when Dad pointed out J.W. Milam while on the witness stand, he said "thar he" in broken English. Dad's English was not broken; in fact, he was very careful about his pronunciation and his use of language.....At first I didn't know how this story got started. I saw an interview with the late reporter James Hicks, who covered the trial for the Washington Afro-American and then became the editor of the New York Amsterdam News. When interviewed in his later years for documentaries like Eyes on the Prize, Mr. Hicks claimed to have heard my father say "Thar he." But according to Mr. Hicks's own account in the September 24, 1955 edition of the Afro-American , Dad said no such thing: "With his thin body racked with emotions, but his face a deadly calm, the Rev. Mr. Wright arose, pointed a bony finger at a white man and declared: 'There he is.'

He says the trial transcript backs him up but ultimately chalks it up to Mr. Hicks thinking "it would be more dramatic...to sound like a country bumpkin." Simeon says that Mr. Hicks was the source of other, shall we say florid, embellishments. 

It's a fascinating, well written book--highly recommended.

• Love 2