Type keyword(s) to search

UnMedia'd: News for Uncoupled

• Start Topic

NPH gets a Performer of the Week Honorable Mention from TVLine for his birthday toast to his partner of 17 years who dumped him minutes earlier.

HONORABLE MENTION | We’re used to Neil Patrick Harris making us laugh on TV, but we were a little surprised at how hard he tugged on our heartstrings in the premiere of his new Netflix sitcom Uncoupled. As Michael, a newly single gay man in his 40s, Harris can still deliver a quippy punchline as deftly as he did during How I Met Your Mother‘s heyday. But he also tapped into an unexpectedly potent level of heartache when a freshly dumped Michael had to make a birthday toast to his boyfriend Colin, just moments after Colin abruptly broke up with him. His speech was an incredible feat of barely maintained composure, with Harris tearing up and fighting back sobs as Michael’s words doubled as both a tribute to Colin and a plea for him to reconsider their split: “I can’t imagine my life without you. It just doesn’t make sense.” Uncoupled is mostly a light and fun rom-com, but it’s Harris’ stellar work here that might make it worth a more serious commitment.

• Love 3

The Deadline article about the cancellation said that Paramount (who produces the show) tried to get it onto one of their networks (probably/likely Showtime) but couldn’t make the financials work. If it were going to be saved, it probably would’ve been there.

Too bad!  I loved the show...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1