Type keyword(s) to search

[In Dev] Babylon 5 (2022)

• Start Topic

A Babylon 5 reboot is in development at The CW.

A new version of the Emmy-winning space opera television series Babylon 5 is in the works. The CW has put in development Babylon 5, described as a “from-the-ground-up reboot” of the critically acclaimed 1990s series, from original series creator J. Michael Straczynski and Warner Bros. Television.

Written by Straczynski, the reboot revolves around John Sheridan (played by Bruce Boxleitner in the original series), an Earthforce officer with a mysterious background, who is assigned to Babylon 5, a five-mile-long space station in neutral space, a port of call for travelers, smugglers, corporate explorers and alien diplomats at a time of uneasy peace and the constant threat of war. His arrival triggers a destiny beyond anything he could have imagined, as an exploratory Earth company accidentally triggers a conflict with a civilization a million years ahead of us, putting Sheridan and the rest of the B5 crew in the line of fire as the last, best hope for the survival of the human race.

Deadline article and J. Michael Straczynski's tweets about the reboot. I am excited about this and hope it is ordered to series.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Three spaceships I want to see done with up to date effects are the Vorlon ship, Shadow ship, and Minbari Sharlin. I hope no one changes the look of these ones.

Plus the basestar from modern BSG, and Moya from Farscape. Maybe I just like organic ships.

I'm also fond of the Omega-class destroyer. However, the White Star never grabbed me. It felt trying too hard to be cool.

• Love 1

Honestly, given how cheap most of the CW shows look and how low the budgets are for special effects B5 does not seem like a good fit for them.  Though JMS did pull off the original on a non-network budget, so there's that. 

• Love 1
On 9/28/2021 at 5:12 AM, Anduin said:

However, the White Star never grabbed me. It felt trying too hard to be cool.

What about the Starfury? I always felt they were really different as far as space ships. I liked how the moved.

I loved the White Star although, they never looked like plucked chickens to me 😂

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

What about the Starfury? I always felt they were really different as far as space ships. I liked how the moved.

I loved the White Star although, they never looked like plucked chickens to me 😂

I appreciate how they move, but the look never grabbed me. However, extend the cockpit a bit and you've got an X-Wing. Somehow those are cool while the starfury didn't work for me.

(edited)

Still in development for fall 2023...

‘Babylon 5’ Reboot Still “Very Much In Active Development”, the CW CEO Confirms
By Nellie Andreeva    May 19, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/05/babylon-5-reboot-status-alive-the-cw-1235027808/ 

Back in February, after the CW had picked up its pilots for this year and Babylon 5 was not among them, creator J. Michael Straczynski took to social media to assure fans that the reboot was still alive.

That was confirmed this morning by the CW chairman and CEO Mark Pedowitz.

“It is very much in active development, I personally spoke with Straczynski back when we picked up the pilot,” Pedowitz said during the network’s pre-upfront press call. “I’m a huge fan of Babylon 5, on a personal basis, I’ve seen every episode of the series. I’ve known Joe for a long, long time. I’d love to bring back that story in some shape or form, I think it’s perfect for the CW.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1