Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: If You Got It Flaunt It

• Start Topic

On 9/29/2021 at 6:52 AM, readheaded said:

Agreed. I do think she takes therapy seriously and is introspective enough to try to figure herself out. 

When have we ever heard Kim or Barry say they ever might have done something wrong in their relationships? 

You mean, "real or perceived", don't you?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The layers of damage that fundie upbringing brings is devastating. It’s good these adult children have friends, options and opportunities to heal and grow.  It follows you forever, imo.  I wish Olivia could associate with some other adults who have dealt with maniacal people like her in-laws, so she can know that there is life and it’s happy.  No one can make you feel less than when you know what they really are.  Some fundie adult children do disassociate with their abusers and it’s one way to survive.  That kind of toxicity can be difficult to navigate, especially without professional help.

• Love 11
On 10/5/2021 at 4:54 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

The layers of damage that fundie upbringing brings is devastating. It’s good these adult children have friends, options and opportunities to heal and grow.  It follows you forever, imo.  I wish Olivia could associate with some other adults who have dealt with maniacal people like her in-laws, so she can know that there is life and it’s happy.  No one can make you feel less than when you know what they really are.  Some fundie adult children do disassociate with their abusers and it’s one way to survive.  That kind of toxicity can be difficult to navigate, especially without professional help.

Yes! So much this! I was raised in a fundamentalist Pentecostal environment, and even though it was nothing like the Plaths (my family was normal, that was just the church we went to), I still have hangups and traumas that surface to this day--largely surrounding the purity culture aspects.

No fun. No fun at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, auntiemel said:

Yes! So much this! I was raised in a fundamentalist Pentecostal environment, and even though it was nothing like the Plaths (my family was normal, that was just the church we went to), I still have hangups and traumas that surface to this day--largely surrounding the purity culture aspects.

No fun. No fun at all.

I’m sorry.   I’m somewhat familiar with that group.  Mine was Independent Fundamental Baptist.  

• Love 2

I don’t know why people think parental and environmental influences just magically become null upon adulthood. I am listening to a woman who is describing how her mom taught her how to pickpocket men who were passed out from drinking. She had no idea she was supposed to be learning other things. And even though she grew morally there remains elements from that and you can tell by the way she talks about her own kids. 

• Love 6