Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: The Ultimate Surfers

• Start Topic

The male loser legit surfed the ride of his life, with the deepest barrel of the season, and a reverse to end the ride.  The winner had a solid final ride and hit his stunt at the end, but no way was his final move all that.  It was telling that we got zero spoken words from the loser.  He got jobbed.

The female winner clearly bested her bestie, the loser.  

Of course, we never got the actual final numbers for the losers.  Then again, did we ever really get actual numbers all season?

So much for the spot on the CT, too.  It turns out that the winners only get to enter three events off their wins.  Of course, they could qualify for more depending on their placements in those events.  

This was a nice summer diversion with lots of pretty.  I just wish TPTB did not play so fast and loose with the "rules" and the structure of the competition.

• Love 2

Totally agree with everything you wrote @Lonesome Rhodes. Koa was so obviously the winner, it was a no brainer. But for some reason this show liked Zeke. Maybe the problem was Zeke's dad, uncle and cousin being the judges. Koa was AWESOME. And yeah, what happened to him after the winner was announced, it was like he was wiped from the show, totally disappeared.

I liked Zeke from the beginning but Koa soon overtook him as my favorite surfer. I really was not happy when the winner was announced, so much so that I said a bad word to the television. If Koa had a bad run, okay. But he was stellar.

Last episode had some bogus scoring too.

I do hope the show comes back. I enjoyed it a lot, and would have liked it even more if Malia hadn't been on. The girl drahmah was a drag. But in all the show was fun and different and yeah, I appreciated the pretty. More, please.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Totally agree with everything you wrote @Lonesome Rhodes. Koa was so obviously the winner, it was a no brainer. But for some reason this show liked Zeke. Maybe the problem was Zeke's dad, uncle and cousin being the judges. Koa was AWESOME. And yeah, what happened to him after the winner was announced, it was like he was wiped from the show, totally disappeared.

I liked Zeke from the beginning but Koa soon overtook him as my favorite surfer. I really was not happy when the winner was announced, so much so that I said a bad word to the television. If Koa had a bad run, okay. But he was stellar.

Last episode had some bogus scoring too.

I do hope the show comes back. I enjoyed it a lot, and would have liked it even more if Malia hadn't been on. The girl drahmah was a drag. But in all the show was fun and different and yeah, I appreciated the pretty. More, please.

💯! I did look up Koa’s net worth last week tho 🥺🥺🥺

I wish I knew more about the way the show worked. I.e., all the surfers were there at the end, I wonder if they filmed this in a week?

Also, that spa day looked lame. Applying your own mask? No massage or facial? ¿Què?

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, DrSparkles said:

I wish I knew more about the way the show worked. I.e., all the surfers were there at the end, I wonder if they filmed this in a week?

I wonder if they were quarantined so had to stick around. I'd guess each competition was filmed in a day so eight days of filming? Maybe 10 days there altogether. But don't quote me, I'm just guessing based on other reality shows that make you think weeks have gone by when it's only been two days.

Agree about the spa day. The last thing I want to do is sit in a tub of ice cubes and not even get a massage afterward. Two "host" people were at the spa location ... maybe they cut out the good parts that showed the surfers being pampered. As it was, none of it looked relaxing to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I liked Zeke from the beginning but Koa soon overtook him as my favorite surfer.

Koa was the best.  He never took himself too seriously (like his "magic surfboard"!) i felt he did at least as good as Zeke, and I hope the folks at WSL will give him a chance to compete.

Tia was the obvious winner,  She didn't even have to surf her third wave -- there was no way that Breanna got an 8 or higher on her third wave.  

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I enjoyed it a lot, and would have liked it even more if Malia hadn't been on.

It was so nice that their last day was mellow, even if it wasn't a "spa day".  They all looked comfortable and happy with each other and I loved how Tia and Breanna hugged after their last ride.  If Malignant had been there, it would have been a big downer.  It may have been editing but it looked like she and Anastasia laughed when when one of the women fell.

Did I miss something?  It seemed to me in the first episode, it showed someone sabotaging another surfer's board.  but we never saw that on the show.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, JH Lipton said:

Did I miss something?  It seemed to me in the first episode, it showed someone sabotaging another surfer's board.  but we never saw that on the show.

I remember seeing a clip on a commercial promo-ing the show before it started, a woman's surfboard was broken in two. I was expecting that to happen during the season, but no. I'm not completely surprised though since on The Bachelor franchise, which this show followed, previews always show someone being taken away in an ambulance and having other crises, none of which ever are shown on any episode. Bait and switch!

I hope this show got good ratings so it comes back next season. Or this winter even!

Kelly Slater was mentioned on a rerun episode of Hawaii Five-0 last week. I totally knew who he was! Although I knew who he was before Ultimate Surfer. Cool that these people can make a living doing what they love.

• Love 1