Type keyword(s) to search

The Big Bake - General Discussion

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

It was a bummer that they had to ditch the dynamic element in the rocket, but even without it they eked out the win. 

I think everyone was pretty underwhelming and they just had that slight edge. 

• Like 3

The hive/mummy was bad.  I couldn't decide between the other two.  They were both very good.  I liked the disco but those flies were awfully cute and well-done.  

I kept wondering where the UK team was from.  They just said UK but they sounded more Irish than English to me so I wondered if maybe Northern Ireland.  I'm probably not even close.

• Like 1

The judges are getting pretty picky. Your theme is disco so one of your characters should have been dancing, not spinning. How the heck would they have done that? Would a character rocking back and forth be considered dancing? Dammit Jim, I'm a baker. Not an animatronics expert.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Did anyone see the rocking north pole episode? One team actually had their Santa dancing, sort of, so it is possible. That one woman on the Montreal team was so annoying, like she drank too much coffee. And her flavors weren't seasonal. I wanted to try the other 2 cakes. Everyone had trouble with proportion, big bodies with small heads. My only problem is I don't know who won. 

10 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Did anyone see the rocking north pole episode? One team actually had their Santa dancing, sort of, so it is possible. That one woman on the Montreal team was so annoying, like she drank too much coffee. And her flavors weren't seasonal. I wanted to try the other 2 cakes. Everyone had trouble with proportion, big bodies with small heads. My only problem is I don't know who won. 

OMG! Yes, she was super annoying. And their Santa was really weird looking. 

As for the winner 

Spoiler
Spoiler

it was the one with the smaller figures that had the dancing Santa. The one woman on the team had won a Halloween gingerbread contest a couple of years ago. 

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was annoyed by the Canadian team leader. Actually, I was thinking TPTB had given everyone (including host & judges) lots of free espresso. Sheesh!

18 hours ago, Grizzly said:

My only problem is I don't know who won. 

It was the team with the dancing Santa with the tall tree in the back. I thought that one was only one that would NOT win. The other two had some cool stuff going on, so I thought it would be one of them. 

Oops, sorry, just notice that libgirl2 had already answered this!

I've never watched this show before, so I figured I'd give it a whirl this time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched the latest episode last night. I just knew that display that won was going to. It was really amazing and the cake tasted delicious. 

I find this show so fun. It is light, it is silly and you can tell everyone is having a good time. I know I do. 

• Like 2

I really enjoy this show.  The thing I like best is that most of the time is devoted to letting us watch what the bakers are doing.  Most of them are amazingly talented at things like sculpting.  I often wish the judges would tone down some of the goofiness but they don't waste much show time on it so I don't really mind.  

On the last show, I couldn't decide between the one with all the cute and beautifully done mice and the one with elves messing up the tree.  I would have been happy with either winning.  I've already forgotten what the third display was but I knew they were out of the running.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, mlp said:

I really enjoy this show.  The thing I like best is that most of the time is devoted to letting us watch what the bakers are doing.  Most of them are amazingly talented at things like sculpting.  I often wish the judges would tone down some of the goofiness but they don't waste much show time on it so I don't really mind.  

On the last show, I couldn't decide between the one with all the cute and beautifully done mice and the one with elves messing up the tree.  I would have been happy with either winning.  I've already forgotten what the third display was but I knew they were out of the running.

The third was the giant mixer with one elf and penguin. They needed a couple of more figures and the mixer was not very good. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

The third was the giant mixer with one elf and penguin. They needed a couple of more figures and the mixer was not very good. 

The mixer was on the mouse display. The one with the elf and penguin had a sleeping Santa. They definitely needed more on the board. 

I loved the mice, but the board looked a little crowded and I felt the mice should have been doing something instead of sitting still posing for the judges. It would have been really cute to have one of them getting into the sugar canister, another upside down covered in flour, etc. It would've really shown the chaos of the moment.

So, that said, I'm glad the other one won because they showed the elves caught in the act of their mischief. Loved the one hanging from the lights! That was perfect!

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Splashy said:

The mixer was on the mouse display. The one with the elf and penguin had a sleeping Santa. They definitely needed more on the board. 

I loved the mice, but the board looked a little crowded and I felt the mice should have been doing something instead of sitting still posing for the judges. It would have been really cute to have one of them getting into the sugar canister, another upside down covered in flour, etc. It would've really shown the chaos of the moment.

So, that said, I'm glad the other one won because they showed the elves caught in the act of their mischief. Loved the one hanging from the lights! That was perfect!

Yes, you are right! I don't know why I mixed them up. The face of the Santa was really good, but the board didn't have much on it. 

the hanging elf was really cute. 

• Like 1

The deer makeup that Brad and Ron had on was freakishly well done. Love Ray, Maeve not so much. They should of had the flash in the cameras go off for their dynamic element. Agreed their display didn't hit the challenge but their cake sounded amazing. Ridiculous that teams who've been there before get surprised by the bonus bake. Too bad the road trip display ran out of time. Knew hot tub was winning. My only critique is their dynamic element had the fish swimming backwards.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Love Ray, Maeve not so much.

I like Ray too and have never been able to stand Maeve.  I thought she was supposed to have some horrible kidney disease that was going to kill her....years ago.  She wasn't so bad this time around I have to admit.

Ridiculous that teams who've been there before get surprised by the bonus bake.

I'm sure they're all told to act surprised.  It's pretty obvious that they all have recipes ready to go for whatever.  It's just like all the teams on every baking show rushing to giant sketch pads to "brainstorm" elaborate ideas they just thought of that they somehow have supplies for and all the molds they need.

Too bad the road trip display ran out of time. Knew hot tub was winning. My only critique is their dynamic element had the fish swimming backwards.

I noticed the fish too and was surprised none of the judges mentioned it.

• Like 1

Watched  Monday night's show. It was obvious who was going to win, even with an overbaked cake. The display was gorgeous and clean. The other ones, not so much. That octopus creature did not look anything like they promised. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

That octopus creature did not look anything like they promised. 

I was really looking forward to seeing the octopus. Did they ever mention they would not be able to complete it? I was bummed. I know the teams tend to start out with ambitious plans that they have to trim down because of time. That octopus display (as depicted in the illustration) would have been amazing!

I had to laugh when the one team had to repair their Earth with another layer of fondant and the guy said something like, "Whew, we saved the planet!" 🤣

• LOL 2
On 11/24/2023 at 10:32 PM, Grizzly said:

Love Ray, Maeve not so much.

Ray looked so familiar. Was he on one of the previous Baking Championship shows? I know I've seen him before, and that show is the one I watch most regularly. 

31 minutes ago, Splashy said:

Ray looked so familiar. Was he on one of the previous Baking Championship shows?

Ray has been on a number of shows over the years.  I think he was on the one that Duff hosted where the teams went back to their homes for three days and brought back large and complex displays.  Not sure.  I think he was also on the Halloween shows where teams did giant lawn-size displays with pumpkins.  Again, not sure.  I know I've seen him quite a few times but I don't remember ever seeing him on any of the baking shows that eliminate someone every week.  Could be wrong. 

Hmmmmm..............maybe Cake Wars?

45 minutes ago, mlp said:

Ray has been on a number of shows over the years.  I think he was on the one that Duff hosted where the teams went back to their homes for three days and brought back large and complex displays.  Not sure.  I think he was also on the Halloween shows where teams did giant lawn-size displays with pumpkins.  Again, not sure.  I know I've seen him quite a few times but I don't remember ever seeing him on any of the baking shows that eliminate someone every week.  Could be wrong. 

Hmmmmm..............maybe Cake Wars?

So many of these people make the rounds that over half of them look familiar to me! 

• Like 1

I thought the display with the penguins was a distant third place but the other two were outstanding.  It was a shame one had to lose.  The Diwali tree was gorgeous and I was very happy for that team.  They were well organized and their detail work was impressive.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, mlp said:

I thought the display with the penguins was a distant third place but the other two were outstanding.  It was a shame one had to lose.  The Diwali tree was gorgeous and I was very happy for that team.  They were well organized and their detail work was impressive.

I liked the hot chocolate one but it would have been better if they included an elf or two instead of one of the penguins. I still thought it was well made. 

• Like 2

New  judge, Danni Rose is so loud and brash. Who picks the judges for the Big Bake? There’s hundreds more out there who could do that job with more class and refinement. Her behaviour is a disgrace, as if she’s constantly looking for attention. It’s so embarrassing. Harry Eastwood behaved with professionalism, this one doesn’t. Please get someone else. I don’t think I can keep watching the show, that’s how much her intolerable voice and actions go through me. We’re in the UK and way behind you guys so we can’t get used to this judge all of a sudden who’s just appeared. Eddie is fab and easy on the eye lol. And Ron Ben Israel is so funny but a master.