Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E19: Finale

• Start Topic

I can say, without fear of contradiction*, that when this is over it will be remembered as two hours that happened.

* Not counting pre-empting in some time zones for California election results/coverage, possibly storm coverage, etc.  Hopefully, your DVR can adapt or you can watch it on demand later if that's the case.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Skycatcher said:

Same complaint as before.....

I couldn't really see the aerialist for the fancy flames and crap on the backdrop.  Why do they do that!?????

True. Of the acts so far tonight I still want him to win.

Hey, did you know Dustin adopted two kids? (I had to mute him. I just can't.)

Loved Josh tonight. I bet all the judges have had botox. I'm torn between him and Aidan, now, but Josh already has a career, so...

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

First up, the Boy Singer. He was pretty good. I mean, for a singer and all.

Clothes Changer. GAH! My dog HAD to go outside just then so I missed most of her act, but I still love her anyway.

Opera Girl. I actually listened to her this time because of comments here by posters who know opera. But I guess it wouldn't be polite to express my exact thoughts given she's a kid and all and so gets a special pass for a not-so-good performance. But Howie, how is this kid "inspiring?" Does she have a sob story or overcame some deadly disease? Have we seen her parents? Does she have parents? Do we know why she's singing opera instead of Katy Perry songs? In any case, it was cruel to tell her she was going to win it.

Gina Comic. Oye, I don't remember her act. I do remember I liked her in the past. Oh yeah, it was something about her husband, a subject I can't relate to.

Taekwondo Guys. So fun to watch, I love these guys. But then I've seen every Bruce Lee movie, including all the sub-titled ones, I'm a fan of this sport. Plus these guys kick the butts of all of those stupid boring dance groups. They know how to Step It Up™.

Aiden Aerial Boy. I love this guy. If I were a judge I'd tell him he could Win The Whole Thing™. This performance was especially good. But WTH with the flame-throwers in the background. Does the show get a discount on the fire machines if they are used a zillion times during a performance? I needed a flame-retardant suit to watch poor Aiden. But his talent is a real bankable one. I mean, not every person can swing on gramma's sheets from a backyard tree. He's up on my list to win.

Brooke Singer. I guess the flame machine was still on payroll because as soon as Brooke started singing it started spewing fire all while bright lights were flashing so all of America went into epileptic seizures. I have no idea if she sang well or not as I was trying not to go blind as I spasmed on the floor.

Family Man Magician. I liked his jacket.

There is a lot of cleanup for the poor janitors after tonight's mega-paper spewing after and during every act.

Josh Blue. Again, I loved his entrance. And his pre show was so funny. "My kids like me now. No they don't." Then his bit about his nocturnal arm had me LOL so hard. Then he ended with the botox bit, and "Right Simon?" And his sign off, "Thank you, that's the end of my career" had me laughing even harder. I hope he tours somewhere close to me so I can support him with my ticket purchases if he doesn't Win It All™.

Pimp spot went to The Nurse Choir so I spent that time working to get my antenna to bring in ABC so I could watch Ultimate Surfer. Yeay, success, so my evening will end on a high note after all! See y'all tomorrow.

• Love 5

When a show has become boring and dull it, it seems like it's been going on all year.  Finally for the last time we get to see the finalist perform.  I'm not going to rate them like I've done in the past.  It will be in what ever order I remembered them.

Aiden aerial guy -  I'm used to being in the minority on issues and this guy just doesn't impress me enough to say he's going to win, because he ain't!

Victory - I had to compare the song she screeched to Jackie Evancho's and there isn't any comparison.  Evancho is way better than V.  Although because of the time we live in, Victory will probably be in the top 3.

Fast Change girl - I thought she was very good and she kept the show going.  I think she has a pretty good chance of winning.

Jimmy Herrod - I like singers on AGT.  I don't have any issues with singers being on this show except one.  And that oneissue is they get special treatment compared to other non-singing acts.  While the others acts have to come up with something different, a singer like Jimmy just has to change a classic song to his own rendition and the non music people will go wild claiming victory!  He will win because he checks all the boxes.

Taekwondo group - Good performance again.  Worthy of a Las Vegas act.  Will be pulling for them!

Brooke Simpson - You know she is a good singer but there is something I don't like about her.  That mic drop didn't help either.  In fact, I think that might've been the kiss of death for her.

Josh Blue - I'm not a comedy fan but Josh was funny tonight.  I did laugh at his jokes but I don't see him winning.

Magician guy - I think he put himself in a position to win.  This was his best performance.

Gina comedian - I like her but she just wasn't funny tonight.  What a time to blow it!

Nurse Choir - I kind of chuckled when Heidi said that if the choir doesn't win at least they touched our hearts.  In other words, "You all aren't winning AGT!"  It's a shame that this act went through just because they're nurses.

It's my bowling night tomorrow night, so I will have to see the results the next day.  I'm sure to stay away from this site until Thursday night.

See you all then.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Aiden Aerial Boy. I love this guy. If I were a judge I'd tell him he could Win The Whole Thing™. This performance was especially good. But WTH with the flame-throwers in the background. Does the show get a discount on the fire machines if they are used a zillion times during a performance? I needed a flame-retardant suit to watch poor Aiden. But his talent is a real bankable one. I mean, not every person can swing on gramma's sheets from a backyard tree. He's up on my list to win.

I really want him to win, especially since they haven't been giving him a ton of attention like Victory or the choir. He is good (especially for a self-taught teen) and I think the best "Vegas Act" (as they are so fond of claiming they're looking for) left in the competition. And it's a different kind of act than we usually see winning. 

Brooke Singer. I guess the flame machine was still on payroll because as soon as Brooke started singing it started spewing fire all while bright lights were flashing so all of America went into epileptic seizures. I have no idea if she sang well or not as I was trying not to go blind as I spasmed on the floor.

Now this is the kind of quality snark I come here for.

I hope he tours somewhere close to me so I can support him with my ticket purchases if he doesn't Win It All™.

https://www.joshblue.com/tour/

I'm debating if I want to watch the whole two hours tonight or watch Pyramid and then watch the last half. Will probably watch and then watch Pyramid on demand, but we'll see.

• Love 4

I dislike Dustin so much. Why does he get 6 minutes and Lea gets 1 minute? That makes no sense at all. He reminds me of a smarmy preacher. 

I absolutely love Aiden but I don't think he'll win. I always love these kinds of acts though. 

I don't know anything about opera so I'm not sure if Victory is good or not. I zoned out during the singers because I don't really care. Lol

Comics were ok. I laughed at both. If I saw either of their shows I would probably laugh a lot, but it's hard with only a couple of minutes.

Taekwondo group I really liked. I would be okay with them winning.

Choir = blech for me.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, funandfitpt said:

I don't know anything about opera so I'm not sure if Victory is good or not. I zoned out during the singers because I don't really care. Lol

The general consensus I’ve seen of people on facebook/reddit giving what seems to be legitimate constructive criticism (as opposed to the “she’s amazing and you’re just jealous and mean if you say otherwise” group or the “I don’t like opera so nah” gang), is that she has a lot of potential but needs a lot of work and a good voice coach (I’ve seen some comments that she’s hasn’t had professional training (mostly from the "you're mean" people defending her), but I don’t know how they know that). That she can belt out the big notes but is pitchy and tends to go off-key in the lower notes and needs to control her vibrato more (one comment said something along the lines of "there's more to opera than the big notes."). Also concerns that she will damage her vocal cords singing these types of songs now because she is not ready for them.

Last week I pulled up Jackie Evancho singing Nessun Dorma (on a PBS video) when she was probably only a year or two older than Victory is now and played them back-to-back, and she was so much better, even to my untrained ear. I’m no musician, but one of my college roommates was a voice major (and a soprano) so I’ve been to plenty of recitals back in the day, and even I have noticed some of the off notes.

I also feel like she has very little facial expression which makes the performance fall a little flat, too. Like she’s singing the notes but not feeling the emotion of the song (which, to be fair, I wouldn't expect from a 9-year-old singing songs written for adult characters). Makes me wonder if she even knows what the words mean or if she’s just repeating the sounds. (Jackie was better at that, too, even if she was probably also too young to really understand the emotions, she was at least a better actor.)

TLDR: she could be really good someday but is not worth a million-dollar prize today.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3

Here's how I see it, and Lord knows I've been wrong before:

Good Chance tier:

• Brooke Simpson - good performer, doesn't have a tragic or touching back-story.
  • Josh Blue - was very funny last night. 
  • Dustin Tavella - good story, his best performance was last night. 
  • Northwell Choir - I don't like them, but that feel-good crap is made for this show. Very good chance of winning. 

Maybe tier:

• Aidan Bryant - talented and likable, but no back-story and those kind of acts don't win. 
  • Victory - has the cute kid and Golden Buzzer votes, but previous No Longer Dunkin' Save spot is ominous. 
  • Jimmie Herrod - my previous top pick, but poor showing in the semis and going first last night is not a good sign. 
  • World Taekwondo - kind of redundant, and I just don't see that kind of act winning. 

Unlikely tier:

• Leah Kyle - I will say this: she basically does the same thing over and over, but still manages to keep it fresh. I just don't see this kind of act winning. 
  • Gina Brillon - she was not good last night. It's like she ran out of material. 
  • Love 1

I didn’t care for the song Brooke chose, unfortunately. The thing is, I didn’t know the past two songs she sang beforehand either (“Bad Habits” and “Lost Cause”). I heard “Bad Habits” during the VMAs a few days back and her version was so much better than the original to me, for example. Still, her voice itself is really beautiful. At times, Brooke’s face reminds me of Mariah Carey. She’s very pretty. It’s always a shame seeing so many artists on these shows you think should’ve been mainstream successes at some point.

I’d love her to win, but I have a feeling the audience will go for the kid singing opera because “Aw, so cute!” vibes. Eh.

2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I didn’t care for the song Brooke chose, unfortunately. The thing is, I didn’t know the past two songs she sang beforehand either (“Bad Habits” and “Lost Cause”). I heard “Bad Habits” during the VMAs a few days back and her version was so much better than the original to me, for example. Still, her voice itself is really beautiful. At times, Brooke’s face reminds me of Mariah Carey. She’s very pretty. It’s always a shame seeing so many artists on these shows you think should’ve been mainstream successes at some point.

I’d love her to win, but I have a feeling the audience will go for the kid singing opera because “Aw, so cute!” vibes. Eh.

I agree with you on everything you posted.  However, like I posted earlier about Brooke there is something about her i don't like.  She is a very pretty woman and very talented, but she comes off a little bit smug to me.  It didn't help that she did a mic drop.  I don't like the "Look at me" performers.  People don't vote for contestants for different reasons and I can see people not voting for her for the mic drop.  But if I were a judge, I would be objective and probably see her as a top 5 act.