Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E15: Semi-Finals 1

• Start Topic

Little kid singer: I still dislike kids singing big adult songs without any understanding of the emotions behind them. Plus, he was flat and off key a lot. Wearing a sparkly suit and screaming the words only gets you so far. 
Sound effects guy: Seems like a truly nice, genuine guy I’d love to have as a friend. But not very entertaining. The judges are just sucking up to him because he’s a beloved persona from years past. 
Dancing girls: I still maintain that the drag queen instructor is the real draw (but a little jarring to see him bald and no makeup). A little off putting to see the girls encouraged to act like sassy drag queens to a song about “sexy” moves. But the judges loved it. 
Aerialist boy: Wonderful. Real talent and showmanship. 
Disney(?) girl singer: Eh, nice but that’s all. 
Karate or whatever guys: If your whole act is jumping to break balsa wood, you really should hit all of them. 
Blondie singer girl:  Nice. Just can’t get excited about the singers. I understand Howie’s comments. 
Magician dad with backwards cap (sigh): For god’s sake stop using your wife and kids to build the act. It’s just the usual mentalist trick with gimmicks. Not impressed. Turned off by his whole persona. 
Korean boy singers: Eh. Just can’t get interested in run-of-the-mill singers. 
Latina comic:  She’s good. 
Jimmy falsetto: Nice, but again, just another good singer  

Edited by Tango64
  • Love 4

What happened in the beginning with the kid singer? Did he just miss his cue? Also, is it just me or was he a little off key or something?

Why did we watch a whole package about youtube girl's song only to have Terry ask what the significance of the song is? (I guess Howie's role tonight is mean youtube commenter?)

Does magician/mentalist/whatever-he-is guy do anything that doesn't involve some sappy story about his family? Also he takes way too long to get to the point. I completely lost track of what he was doing.

My favorites were the aerialist and the comic (though I liked her better last time).

That's all my attention span would let me have comments on this evening.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

What happened in the beginning with the kid singer? Did he just miss his cue? Also, is it just me or was he a little off key or something?

I think so. I'll give him credit for handling it well. As far as his voice, he can only belt out big notes. When he sings in a regular voice, he's all over the place. 

• Love 4

Every magician on this show does some variation of the same damn trick: magician has a judge wrote something on a paper/card/etc and/or rip one up. Stuff happens on stage, blah blah blah and then magician reaches into his pocket, Terry’s shoe or wherever the hell and “TA-DA!” pulls out the exact! same! card/paper/etc!!! 😮 Seriously, how many times do the judges have to see this before they stop acting like this is a brand new trick? I guess the different variations make it seem brand new!? 

I do give this guy credit for making people think Seal was gonna walk out of the audience and up on stage when he says “let’s bring out Heidi’s ex!” Because I know I’m not the only one who thought that was gonna happen!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

AGT just keeps getting better and better and better and.......NOT!

I'm going to place the acts from worst to first....in my opinion of course.

11.  Beyond Belief Dance - If these girls were in their late teens or older, the judges would've have pointed out the sloppy performance.  They were all over the place.

10.  Peter Rosalita - First this kid fumbles the beginning.  Then he sounds taken from the words of Randy Jackson, "PITCHY", but the judges over look his miscue and shaky notes.  I guess it's nice to be a kid on AGT because they have special standards.

09.  Michael Winslow - The guy can't help it.  He's been away from the spotlight for a long time!  I give him credit for making a comeback but his sound effects just sound like he's making noises with his mouth.

08.  Madilyn Bailey - This wasn't her best but I disagree with Howie.  It wasn't that Howie didn't like her that I disagree with, it's that he and probably the other judges had a special standards when it comes with kid singers.  She sang an original which in my book means she is trying to expand her talent.  Peter Rosalita was all over the place and messed up the beginning but he gets a pass?  Bullcrap! 

07.  Aiden Bryant - These are one of those "dead end" acts.  There isn't much he can do with an act like this that hasn't been done before.  I was quite bored.

06.  Dustin Tavella - I usually like magicians and that's probably why I have him at #6 but there is something about him that bothers me.  His laugh sounds like he's coughing or clearing his throat which is quite irritating.

05.  Jimmie Herrod - I don't find him special or do I think he is a great singer.  Don't get me wrong, he sounded great but nothing again nothing special.

04.  Tory Vagasy - Disney songs aren't my cup of tea, but if I'm going by the her voice and how she sounded, I'd say she had a pretty good night.  

03.  Korean Soul - I thought they sounded great!  I guess I was listening to something else because I disagree with Simon.  I'm pulling for these guys!

02.  Gina Brillon - I really don't like comedians.  Gina is funny!  I thought she had a great night and should be safe tomorrow.  

01.  World Taekwondo - Best act of the night by far!  They're exciting and fun to watch.  I definitely would pay to see WT!

Other notes....

Jimmy Herrod is probably going to win AGT.  He fits the profile.

I think Sophia is starting to get on my nerves.  I liked her last season but she has expanded her role a bit and now she is annoying!

People from other discussion boards were upset with Howie and his comments to Madilyn Bailey because that song was dedicated to her grandmother.  They thought Howie showed no heart.  This is the very reason why they shouldn't show sob stories because it makes the judges look bad.  I give Howie credit for doing his job and that's judging the way he saw the performance.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

Every magician on this show does some variation of the same damn trick: magician has a judge wrote something on a paper/card/etc and/or rip one up. Stuff happens on stage, blah blah blah and then magician reaches into his pocket, Terry’s shoe or wherever the hell and “TA-DA!” pulls out the exact! same! card/paper/etc!!! 😮 Seriously, how many times do the judges have to see this before they stop acting like this is a brand new trick? I guess the different variations make it seem brand new!? 

Yup. At least this season, it's been every. single. trick. It all comes down to presentation. I liked spooky guy, but he was boring last week, so he went home. I'm pretty sure Dustin will go through. 

4 hours ago, rr2911 said:

Jimmy Herrod is probably going to win AGT.  He fits the profile.

Guaranteed him or that other singer, the woman who's name I can't remember win this Brooke Simpson. I don't see anyone else taking it. Aiden Bryant is the dark horse. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, rr2911 said:

I think Sophia is starting to get on my nerves.  I liked her last season but she has expanded her role a bit and now she is annoying!

Watching her get confused and/or freak out every time someone calls on her to do something is getting old.

9 hours ago, rr2911 said:

People from other discussion boards were upset with Howie and his comments to Madilyn Bailey because that song was dedicated to her grandmother.  They thought Howie showed no heart.  This is the very reason why they shouldn't show sob stories because it makes the judges look bad.  I give Howie credit for doing his job and that's judging the way he saw the performance.

I love reading the comments on facebook. Anyone who has the slightest criticism of anyone under the age of 16 or so gets yelled at because "s/he's just a kid!" and "let's see you do it!" (though that second one gets said about contestants of any age, really). 1.) If a kid can't handle criticism, they shouldn't go on a nationally-televised talent show, and 2.) I don't need to be able to do something to have an opinion on whether or not I like a performance of that thing (or think the person performing is good at it...there have been plenty of acts that I wouldn't care to watch again but I can still say that the performer is objectively good at what they do).

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 6

By unpopular demand:

• Peter Rosalita - I can't stand him. He can only hit the big notes and that song was inappropriate for him. Will probably go through. 
  • Michael Winslow  - was better than last week, and I admit I feel sentimental about him. Maybe going through. 
  • Beyond Belief Dance - kind of icky. Doubtful they're going through. 
  • Aidan Bryant - I personally find this kind of act extremely boring. Still, he's good at it, and a cute boy to boot. Definitely going through. 
  • Tory Vagasy - I don't like her because of her cutesy Disney intro a few weeks back. She's a good singer, but ordinary. Maybe going through. 
  • World Taekwondo - I admit, I love watching these kids fly through the air and breaking wood. Definitely going through. 
  • Madilyn Bailey - completely agree with Howie. First song was funny and unique, now she's an ok singer/pianist. Her only chance of going through is if she gets the sympathy vote because Howie called her out. 
  • Dustin Tavella - the British guy with a beard does this act much better. May go through on the family vote. 
  • Korean Soul - my least favorite, even if I don't agree with Simon that they were out of tune. I hated the song, and they're not charismatic enough to carry it. Doubtful to move on. 
  • Gina Brillon - I like her personality, even if she was better before. Good shot at going through. 
  • Jimmie Herrod - great voice, I didn't like the song. No way he's NOT going through. 
  • Love 4

My favorites are Aidan Bryant and World TaeKwonDo even though I realize that they don't break all the boards. 

My next two would be Jimmie Herrod and Gina Brillon.

Then I really don't care who goes through although I'll be the mean old lady that states that I hope it's not the kids (singer or dance group).

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 4

The first part of this ep surprised me.  With the horrid Quarterfinals we witnessed, how did so many good (not great) performances happen in this Semi?  The last part of the show took me back to what I saw before:  Dreck.

The most impressive thing all night was when the Tae Kwon Do group were all on stage towards the end of the act and the view was from the balcony.  Then the entire crew did a kick and hit "wood."  The synchro was fabulous, both audibly and visually.  On that alone, I hope they get through.

The comic was aight.  I'd never pay to see her.  I may be wrong, but she had only two jokes (kid insult and girlfriend insult)?  Her observations were very good.  But, no actual laughter from me.

TPTB made a call and Peter is not chosen.  Opening the show is a tough deal.  In contrast, Jimmie the Golden Boy got the ultimate slot.  He totally gacked in at least one miasmic run.   He is most definitely more polished than the other warblers.

I'll never get over Simon conveniently praising original songs.  What's next, Sofia giving shade to a Colombian act?  

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I may be wrong, but she had only two jokes (kid insult and girlfriend insult)?  Her observations were very good.  But, no actual laughter from me.

I've heard a similar "if a kid calls you ugly" joke before. Still, she's got good timing. I could see her as the mother on a bad sitcom. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1