Type keyword(s) to search

2020 Tokyo Paralympics: Still Swifter, Still Higher, Still Stronger -- Together

• Start Topic

I just watched the Para-Olympic opening ceremony. I have to admit I liked this better. There was a Japanese rock show with flashing lights and amazing costumes. You can tell they all having a good time especially the one guy with the guitar. The lead girl did a great job. The announcers said that she never acted before. That's amazing as she was in the spotlight for most of it. 

I as usual also loved the flag ceremony, I missed the beginning but from what I saw it was less "US" centric and did show the other countries and didn't show them on the bus or something stupid. 

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the events. Hopefully they air them on primetime as I work during the day. However, who knows.

Edited by blueray
(edited)

They've been gradually getting better with the coverage over time. It won't be nearly as comprehensive (or, as you noted, as US-centered) as the Olympics coverage, but there will be quite a bit of prime-time recapping (be warned -- this time, it's SWIMMING that airs live in the ungodly hours of the morning in the US!).

And yes, the one-winged plane was the highlight for me! 

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

(be warned -- this time, it's SWIMMING that airs live in the ungodly hours of the morning in the US!).

I'm excited that the Swimming is airing in Primetime here in Australia. 

9 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Wow. Was that wheelchair basketball game between the US and Germany a nail-biter, or what?

I was flipping channels and started watching it. Wasn't planning on it but yeah that was a good and close game. I watched the whole thing. 

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, blueray said:

I was flipping channels and started watching it. Wasn't planning on it but yeah that was a good and close game. I watched the whole thing. 

I watched it and the wheelchair rugby match with Canada. One of the things that impressed me the most was how well the opposing teams actually got along with one another even though they were competing fiercely. I saw nothing but smiles and good-natured talk all through the games. They were just a bunch of guys out there having fun, and it was refreshing to see such good sportsmanship!

• Love 2

I was looking forward to NBCSN's coverage of the Paralympics since IMO they did a much better job with the Olympics than NBC. However, they're doing everything I hated about NBC and then some. 6 hour blocks making it hard to find events; rarely deviating from swimming, track, or basketball; replaying events 2-3 times on the same channel; and most frustrating of all, the USA!-USA!-USA! coverage at the expense of everyone else is even more extreme than the Olympics. Especially with swimming. Making it a point to caution the audience that no Americans are in a particular race (A I don't care, and B I could already figure it out based on the flags superimposed on the lanes), or spending the entire race talking about the American in 3rd or 4th with a passing acknowledgement of winners if they're from other countries. Track coverage was similar, though the cameramen didn't always get the memo as the announcers would prattle on and on about the Americans while camera is panning to the rest of the field, causing the announcers to be like "oh yeah and here are these foreigners."

And while I can understand why there'd be a lot of storytime segments, and I'm a little more forgiving about it here than with the Olympics, I swear they show the same segments and interviews like 4 times.

I appreciate the commentators' enthusiasm, but sometimes it borders on condescending. "Wow she did such a good job, I'm so happy for her!" I sometimes get the impression NBC thinks of the Paralympics like they're the Special Olympics. Even the former Paralympic athletes on commentary, which you'd think if anyone knew better it'd be them. But maybe I'm just grumpy by how much they've been NBC'ing up the coverage these games.

I think between Track and Swimming it feels like a hundred world records were broken. Craziness.

While he should have an amazing paralympic career ahead of him, I still felt pretty bad for Ezra Frech, the 16 year old high jumper who came in 5th while his teammate Sam Grewe won gold, having to shadow Grewe during the interviews and listening him talk about what it felt like to win and watching him talk to his family at home. He was legitimately thrilled for Grewe but it kinda sucked. Sorry Ezra, family chats are for winners only.

Edited by dmeets
just realized autocorrect didn't like "Frech"
1 hour ago, dmeets said:

While he should have an amazing paralympic career ahead of him, I still felt pretty bad for Ezra French, the 16 year old high jumper who came in 5th while his teammate Sam Grewe won gold, having to shadow Grewe during the interviews and listening him talk about what it felt like to win and watching him talk to his family at home. He was legitimately thrilled for Grewe but it kinda sucked. Sorry Ezra, family chats are for winners only.

I felt bad for him too. It should have been two different interviews. Then when it was his turn show his family. Coming in 5th is still impressive even if it doesn't lead to a medal. The one kind of funny thing was announcer didn't even get his finish right.  They was said "congrats in coming in 4th", didn't even pay attention to where he finished and to make it worse the studio put his correct finish up lol. 

I agree the that some of the commentary is off. The one female announcer for swimming is terrible and often does sound condisending.  

So I'm watching the closing ceremony now, and I like the "We're the 15%" ad. Now I want to see them do one with the Paralympian medalists, with the line added, "And we can still kick your ass!"

And we're done. The Closing Ceremony was amazing both in its simplicity compared to the Olympic Closing Ceremony and its emotional impact. I came to know and love these athletes as much as I love Caeleb Dressel, Simone Biles, and Devon Allen. I can't wait to see what Bejing brings us in 2022 and what Paris brings us in 2024!

See y'all in Beijing in February!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2