Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E18: Winter's Gambit

• Start Topic

An Arctic storm blasts the fleet as Sig ventures to deep waters he hasn't fished in 17 years. Johnathan steers the Time Bandit into 30-foot waves in a hail Mary run toward Russia. Captain Keith attempts a risky maneuver to save the Wizard's pots.

The last thing we saw, the TB was following the Wizard, suspecting Monte was holding out on them.  What the heck happened?!  

We picked up sometime after deliveries.  Bad, bad, bad, Disco.

The first scenes with the TB in this ep had Johnathan with the patented "woe is me" narrative.  But, on a couple of edits, we could see through the windows a massive pot being hauled aboard.  To quote our boy, "Aye yi yi."  

Something I've always wondered, and it was reinforced on this ep...the Wizard annually harvests a huge amount of crab above the others.  They are again waaaaay ahead on the ol' tote board.  Why don't the others, especially Jake A., simply set wherever the Wizard does?

Sig lamenting that he was starting completely over was BS.  He had all of his pots in the water thanks to Harley when he got back from repairs.  We also had some icing edit shenanigans from  Disco.  The NW had a fair amount and the crew were shown getting rid of it.  No other F/V had that issue in this ep.  They were not all significantly South of the NW.  

The seas were all that.  I don't remember both the Wizard and the TB shutting down as they did.  Johnathan didn't just try for those 10 final pots?  That says a lot.  To me, that indicates actual peril and not just the usual Disco hype.  Glad everyone came through OK.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1
On 8/27/2021 at 1:54 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Something I've always wondered, and it was reinforced on this ep...the Wizard annually harvests a huge amount of crab above the others.  They are again waaaaay ahead on the ol' tote board.  Why don't the others, especially Jake A., simply set wherever the Wizard does?

The Saga is 109 ft vs the Wizard at 156 ft. It might be only about 50% more in length, but the volume increases much more. This allows the Wizard to hold a lot more crab before returning to offload and a lot more pots as well. The Wizard is one of the largest in the fleet and is definitely the largest on the show. 

Edited by FishyJoe
  • Useful 1

I remember Matt (from the NW, now the Saga) saying years ago that he did a season on the Wizard and never made so much money as he did that year.  Don't they also bring out enough guys to pretty much run 24/7 by swapping people out?

16 hours ago, kassa said:

I remember Matt (from the NW, now the Saga) saying years ago that he did a season on the Wizard and never made so much money as he did that year.  Don't they also bring out enough guys to pretty much run 24/7 by swapping people out?

I know years ago that it was stated that the Wizard does fish 24/7 and has 2 crews on board.  Maybe they are still doing that because didn't see Monte on the deck nor wheelhouse last night but he was on the boat a week or so ago (in the show).