Type keyword(s) to search

S1.E02:

• Start Topic

When the car started moving, I laughed HARD, and kept laughing when it ran over Bill's foot. Well done, show, because I did NOT see that coming!

Ji-Yoon's difficulties with her daughter are really compelling.

I cringed so hard when she made the speech high--embarrassment humor isn't my thing--but good for her for awarding Yaz the Distinguished Lectureship despite the dean trying to blow her off constantly about it. She's the chair!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm so sick of the woman being on a toilet cliche.  It's EVERYWHERE now.

Also, who doesn't lock the door when they're using the bathroom at someone else's house? The babysitter said boundaries are really important to her, so locking the door was the least she could have done.

Bill was less of a mess in this episode and he was really good with Ji-Yoon's daughter, so I can somewhat understand the attraction now. I have the feeling that she'll be forced to fire him because of the Nazi salute though. Someone mentioned that the student who gave Bill a ride last episode and dropped off the pie for him in this episode, is the daughter of someone on the board of trustees, and she has a Jewish-sounding last name. I'm sure her family will make a big stink about it and the university will have no choice but to let him go.

ETA: I love that Ji-Yoon speaks to her father in Korean (or he does and she replies in English), which is much more realistic in immigrant families than everyone speaking English.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Also, who doesn't lock the door when they're using the bathroom at someone else's house? The babysitter said boundaries are really important to her, so locking the door was the least she could have done.

Good point.  
Bad babysitter!

ETA:   
However, given Juju’s propensity for mischief, Ji-Yoon (Sandra Oh) may have removed the lock from the bathroom door.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Yes, one of the reasons why the cliche is so stupid and just to exploit women.

• Love 1

I really can’t decide if I’m going to check out of this show or if it’s like a train wreck I can’t look away from. The sexual stuff and Bill having a thing going on with a student just feels so cheap and phoned in, like one of those “one of these things doesn’t belong with the others” type. It wasn’t a show that struck me as slapstick comedy and yet they’re trying to make it happen. 

I did laugh at Bill’s foot getting crushed, though. 

• Love 1
On 8/21/2021 at 11:58 PM, chocolatine said:

THIS!

On 8/22/2021 at 12:44 AM, shapeshifter said:

However, given Juju’s propensity for mischief, Ji-Yoon (Sandra Oh) may have removed the lock from the bathroom door.

I hadn't thought of that!

Still, a babysitter needs to know how to set boundaries herself (not rely on the kid to do it), and handle awkward situations and kids who are mischievous. She clearly wasn't up to the job.

Pembroke needs to have a campus day care service. Maybe that can be the next crusade.

The kid who taped the lecture with the salute has video with the context, and at some point someone should get the whole thing released.

• Love 1

I understand the joke of academics being incompetent in real world matters (having been married to one myself) but they are taking it into slapstick territory.

Yi-Joon needs help parenting desperately and Bill is not much better over-indulging Ju Ju.

• Love 1