Type keyword(s) to search

21 hours ago, ESS said:

My fandoms(at least the ones that are my main focused) one is smaller at least in terms of the pairing and the other is I'd say bigger, but the pairing is also pretty small in terms of stories. I mostly write for rare pairs which is very frustrating, but at the same time there's so many possibilities to write about, but the lack of comments isn't a great thing, but again it's nice to have some faithful readers/commenters. 

Yeah exactly my point. I have one story that I'm working on mainly for my couple Gemma/Nero, but then I have two others for them that I've started, although the one I haven't really done much with, but the other that's started that one is going a bit better in terms of plot and writing of it. My on going story for them is very long now it's been going on since 2019 and is now 22 chapters, still working on 23 and I still have more ideas it's like every time I think I'm done with ideas for it more come to mind, but I don't care because to be honest I kind of don't want the story to end either because I love it so much and I'm so proud of it because I've never written a multi chaptered story like this before where there's more than 10 chapters nor this long in terms of word count.

Yeah, I know the feeling about liking rare pairs. Not only is it hard to get attention on the fics you write for them, but sometimes you're the ONLY person writing for them, and after a while you want to read something for that pairing that isn't your own work, you know :p? But yes, when you do get readers for a rare pair, it's a great thing, 'cause they're like, "YES! Finally, something for this pairing!" :D. 

Wow. I admire your efforts with that long fic. I tend to write one-shots - even the couple multi-chapter fics I do have out there are collections of one-shots. So that does help make it a little easier for me to juggle multiple fandoms as a result, I think :p. Anyone who can juggle long fic ideas for multiple fandoms, kudos to you, that would not be an easy feat. 

I also get the whole thing of not wanting a story you've been writing to end, either. There's a lot of memories and special moments connected to it, the excitement of seeing people still invested in it, the fun that comes with writing the story in and of itself... I've heard some long fic writers talk about feeling a bit of sadness when a fic they wrote finally comes to an end - all that time and effort involved, and now you're like, "...now what?" I'm glad you are having so much fun with that fic, and I hope that enjoyment continues for however long you keep working on it :). 

10 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

I see your seven and raise you ten!

Most of them though were sequential, although there were a few times when I was writing in 3 or 4 fandoms simultaneously.

Fun times!

Haha, ooh, nice :D! I love it when I see authors with a variety of fandoms, in large part because I love seeing how all over the map they can be in terms of the types of fandoms they write for. Like, for instance, they might write for a crime drama, maybe there's some old sitcom from decades ago, some sci-fi series, perhaps a book series or an anime/manga thrown in there somewhere, or a film...  It's also a fun way to see what other fandoms you might have in common with an author.

9 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Good to see this thread wake up again! 

February has a couple of challenges coming up. There is Febuwhump (28 prompts of whump) and then there is a ficlet challenge where you’re challenged to come up with 28 pairings and write a ficlet for each one on a different day. (I think the 28 is ideal, but it should be OK if you can’t come up with 28…I only have eight lol.) 

I have never actually completed a challenge before but it’s always worth a try even if I only finish one or two. I fulfilled a Flufftober prompt (fluffy fics in October) last month and the event Tumblr still reblogged it. 

Oooooh, that 28 pairings ficlet one sounds interesting! Where might I find that one, I'd be curious to give that a look. I could easily find 28 pairings to write for, I'd just need to have the discipline to write something new each day, is all :p. 

I think I saw the list for the whump one, too, somewhere - there might be a couple prompts from that I could do something with. I do write a decent amount of stories involving hurt/comfort, but I've never really written anything all that "whump"-y :p. Perhaps this could be a good opportunity to try that. 

8 hours ago, ElleryAnne said:

I don't understand why people would be such jerks.  As someone who enjoys reading fanfic, I'm always appreciative of the works that authors create and share.  And that's especially true for the smaller fandoms and less active fandoms I read in, because I know the authors probably don't get much recognition for those works.  I hope that most authors, at least, aren't chased off by a handful of loudmouths that represent the worst of the internet, because I'm sure there are far more people who are grateful for all authors' contributions to the fandoms.

Seconding every word of this. The more writers and stories in my fandoms, the better, as far as I'm concerned! I'm really sorry that's going on in your fandom, @BlackberryJam. I hope those authors who were scared off by the complainers can be coaxed back to keep writing, and can find a way to ignore those whiners. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, I know the feeling about liking rare pairs. Not only is it hard to get attention on the fics you write for them, but sometimes you're the ONLY person writing for them, and after a while you want to read something for that pairing that isn't your own work, you know :p? But yes, when you do get readers for a rare pair, it's a great thing, 'cause they're like, "YES! Finally, something for this pairing!" :D. 

Wow. I admire your efforts with that long fic. I tend to write one-shots - even the couple multi-chapter fics I do have out there are collections of one-shots. So that does help make it a little easier for me to juggle multiple fandoms as a result, I think :p. Anyone who can juggle long fic ideas for multiple fandoms, kudos to you, that would not be an easy feat. 

I also get the whole thing of not wanting a story you've been writing to end, either. There's a lot of memories and special moments connected to it, the excitement of seeing people still invested in it, the fun that comes with writing the story in and of itself... I've heard some long fic writers talk about feeling a bit of sadness when a fic they wrote finally comes to an end - all that time and effort involved, and now you're like, "...now what?" I'm glad you are having so much fun with that fic, and I hope that enjoyment continues for however long you keep working on it :). 

Yep so true on everything you've said. Yes I definitely know the feeling of wanting to read new stories that aren't mine and I was just saying to one of my readers that I hate that my stories isn't the one that I want to read you know all the time and I wish it wasn't mine if you know what I mean. I love the story don't get me wrong, but for Gemma/Nero especially on FFN there's only one shots there mine was the first multi chaptered story for them ever which is so sad and they were basically neglected and ignored in canon and in fanfiction world it's the same thing which is again so sad and angry for me because I love so much as a couple I don't think they should have been treated like that in canon nor in the fanfiction world. I've never been really into the popular pairings/couples either so that.

I keep on writing for them because I want to keep them alive because if I don't no one else will I'm sure of it and it doesn't help the people who wrote one shots for Gemma/Nero are gone on FFN too. There are two multi chaptered of them on A03, but I don't like how the author (or writer) wrote them, to me it didn't seem like Gemma/Nero in terms of the way I saw them as a couple and as characters  - somethings do seem like them and some don't if that makes sense that's the other main reason why I started my own story on them in the first place and of course the other one is because there isn't much on them at all. It's sad, frustrating and angry and of course the SOA fandom as a whole they there's barely any shippers of them in general either, it's all just...unfair.

As for Dan & Louise they are the same as Gemma/Nero as well - one shots and that's it so I really hope I can eventually show them some love too. I wrote one drabble at least it's something for now on them until I can get to a place where I can really focus on my idea for them which I think is a great one and one I've had in my mind for a while now. For them it makes me sad they don't get more love in the fanfiction world, but at least they got a better chance in canon than poor Gemma/Nero in the end. 

Edited by ESS
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Haha, ooh, nice :D! I love it when I see authors with a variety of fandoms, in large part because I love seeing how all over the map they can be in terms of the types of fandoms they write for. Like, for instance, they might write for a crime drama, maybe there's some old sitcom from decades ago, some sci-fi series, perhaps a book series or an anime/manga thrown in there somewhere, or a film...  It's also a fun way to see what other fandoms you might have in common with an author.

I think I've a fair variety in my fandoms.

In order of appearance -

ER, The man from UNCLE (series), NCIS, Without a Trace, CSI New York, Torchwood, NCIS Los Angeles, Hercules: The legendary Journeys, The Doctor Blake Mysteries, Holby City, Space 1999, and now I've circled back to CSI NY.

Some of them were only one shots, or rather, I only finished one fic in the fandom, and I did do crossovers with Quantum Leap and Supernatural.  Also did a remix fic for Hawaii Five-0 a good few years back.

Febuwhump sounds like fun!  As if I needed an excuse to whump my characters, lol! 

I have four fandoms right now: ER, SVU, New Amsterdam, and The Resident. (The Resident is my most recent.) ER is kind of my passion project though because it’s not as active of a fandom as it once was. I tend to get my best stats with SVU and New Amsterdam where I write the popular ships.

And oh I love angst, sickfic, hurt/comfort…give it all to me. I’ve made characters cry, pass out, go through crisis…it just adds a lot of authenticity to my writing and I get a lot of compliments for how I do my character work. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I have four fandoms right now: ER, SVU, New Amsterdam, and The Resident. (The Resident is my most recent.) ER is kind of my passion project though because it’s not as active of a fandom as it once was. I tend to get my best stats with SVU and New Amsterdam where I write the popular ships.

And oh I love angst, sickfic, hurt/comfort…give it all to me. I’ve made characters cry, pass out, go through crisis…it just adds a lot of authenticity to my writing and I get a lot of compliments for how I do my character work. 

I think I'm too damn nice to the characters in my fics :p. I can't seem to put them through much in the way of physical pain, I don't torture them the way some fic writers do. My stories seem to be a space where they can just talk out the crap they've been through with another character they're close to. I said once that my stories tend to have the theme of, "If the characters aren't getting what they want and need in canon, I will be the one nice enough to give it to them." :D. 

Regarding the bolded, yeah, I've got some fandoms like that, too. If I write for certain pairings in the "Frasier" or "Monk" fandoms, for instance, even if I'm writing a platonic moment between the pairing, I know those fics will get more attention. 

Lately though, I'm writing for some truly dead/quiet fandoms. Like, the sort where I'm happy if anyone even happens to know they exist and stumbles upon them, let alone does anything else :p*. My fandom list tends to be an almost even split between sitcoms ("Frasier", "Wings", "United States of Al") and dramas, especially darker ones ("Criminal Minds", "The Good Doctor", "Evil"). And then there's "Monk", which is a mix of comedy and drama, so it all balances out in the end, LOL. 

*That's another fun thing - sometimes someone will read and comment on/follow/favorite/kudos your fic, and then you go to look at their fandoms, and you share none in common with them, and so you're sitting there like, "...how did you happen to even find this story?" :D. I like those kinds of surprise moments. 

10 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

I think I've a fair variety in my fandoms.

In order of appearance -

ER, The man from UNCLE (series), NCIS, Without a Trace, CSI New York, Torchwood, NCIS Los Angeles, Hercules: The legendary Journeys, The Doctor Blake Mysteries, Holby City, Space 1999, and now I've circled back to CSI NY.

Some of them were only one shots, or rather, I only finished one fic in the fandom, and I did do crossovers with Quantum Leap and Supernatural.  Also did a remix fic for Hawaii Five-0 a good few years back.

That is a good mix of fandoms there :D! I can see some similarity in some of them, and yet there's a fun bit of variety as well. I've seen mention of remix fics when I've scrolled through on AO3, but I'm not quite sure exactly what they are. I imagine they're pretty fun :). 

I would love to do some crossovers sometime. I've got so many fandoms I'd have fun blending together - "Criminal Minds" with "Bates Motel", "Sleepy Hollow" and "Evil" could be rather fun, and I've long had an idea for a crossover fic between the shows "Community" and "Strangers with Candy" that I would LOVE to write. Problem is, humor is not exactly my forte, and the humor of those two shows especially is so unusual and so specific in a lot of ways, to where I don't know that I would be able to pull it off. I would definitely need some help on that one if I ever were to attempt writing that particular fic :p. 

I also got a fun idea the other night for the Conners meeting Al and the Dugans from "United States of Al" - they're both from the Midwest, just separated by one state, and I think the two families would hit it off quite well. I just need to figure out a reason why they'd bump into each other :p. 

23 hours ago, ESS said:

There are two multi chaptered of them on A03, but I don't like how the author (or writer) wrote them, to me it didn't seem like Gemma/Nero in terms of the way I saw them as a couple and as characters  - somethings do seem like them and some don't if that makes sense that's the other main reason why I started my own story on them in the first place and of course the other one is because there isn't much on them at all. It's sad, frustrating and angry and of course the SOA fandom as a whole they there's barely any shippers of them in general either, it's all just...unfair.

That makes total sense, yeah. I've been there, too - there's some writers that I think have a better handle on certain characters/pairings than others. Or I guess, as you put it, it's more that their take on the characters matches more closely with mine. 

I'm sorry that you don't have much in the way of other shippers to squee and talk about the pairing with :(. It's tough. Especially given your comments about how they were treated in canon - it'd be nice to vent about whatever issues you have with what canon did to them with somebody else. 

As for Dan & Louise they are the same as Gemma/Nero as well - one shots and that's it so I really hope I can eventually show them some love too. I wrote one drabble at least it's something for now on them until I can get to a place where I can really focus on my idea for them which I think is a great one and one I've had in my mind for a while now. For them it makes me sad they don't get more love in the fanfiction world, but at least they got a better chance in canon than poor Gemma/Nero in the end. 

Ha, yeah, there's definitely some fandoms where you know, or at least, are confident enough, that you can feel a little safer about how they'll handle certain pairings, compared to others :p. I see some people in some fandoms ranting and angry because the canon screwed over their favorite pairing, and I look at the history of the creators and the way they write stories or the type of canon it is and its like, what exactly did you expect would happen? 

But yes, sometimes some creators and writers can blindside fans, too. Anything to get the ratings and the drama and have people talking. 

36 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

That makes total sense, yeah. I've been there, too - there's some writers that I think have a better handle on certain characters/pairings than others. Or I guess, as you put it, it's more that their take on the characters matches more closely with mine. 

I'm sorry that you don't have much in the way of other shippers to squee and talk about the pairing with :(. It's tough. Especially given your comments about how they were treated in canon - it'd be nice to vent about whatever issues you have with what canon did to them with somebody else. 

Ha, yeah, there's definitely some fandoms where you know, or at least, are confident enough, that you can feel a little safer about how they'll handle certain pairings, compared to others :p. I see some people in some fandoms ranting and angry because the canon screwed over their favorite pairing, and I look at the history of the creators and the way they write stories or the type of canon it is and its like, what exactly did you expect would happen? 

But yes, sometimes some creators and writers can blindside fans, too. Anything to get the ratings and the drama and have people talking. 

I'm not saying I'm not appreciative of them writing for Gemma/Nero in general, but the way they wrote some of things that Gemma and Nero did or their reactions weren't how I saw them at all in other words looked out the box with Gemma and her personality so it's hard for me when I read their stories to think they even watched the same show I did and the especially when the fandom writes (and still does) Gemma so mean, coldhearted, angry and all that, but to me that part of her was just a defense mechanism all the way and that's it because when she was with Nero she was a different person, it wasn't a big change, but it was there and I saw it instantly. 

I do have some people I can talk with Gemma/Nero about, but not much because well it seems like everything that I wanted to say has been said and the fact that SOA has been over for years now doesn't help and the fact that the fandom hates on Gemma so much too that's another reason why Gemma/Nero aren't a popular couple sadly, but even Nero isn't popular either and I'll understand that because Nero was a great character and man in general. 

As for the writers I sometimes hate what they do to my couples/pairings for sure. I love that Gemma/Nero was made canon, but really that was the only thing that was done right to me the rest of it and their scenes they weren't given a chance - Now I'm not saying I didn't enjoy their scenes it's just a lot of them were too short or I didn't like the way TPTB wrote their scenes they were either tacky/uncomfortable or just I didn't like them in general.

So far with Dan & Louise I love how the writers have written them as a couple and the only thing wrong there is the fact that their scenes can definitely be expanded more for sure. I love(d) how they got together and the slow burn of their relationship it was perfect and their wedding and everything, but yeah there's still room for more so to speak so because I love them I'm gonna eventually write for them and I hope I'll be able to do them justice when I do start to write for me (not a one shot, but a multi chaptered story). 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Some of them were only one shots, or rather, I only finished one fic in the fandom, and I did do crossovers with Quantum Leap and Supernatural.

Are your crossovers on AO3?  I love a good crossover, and QL and SN are two of my favorites for crossovers.  They're two of the LBD's of fanfic - they go with just about anything.

3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Lately though, I'm writing for some truly dead/quiet fandoms. Like, the sort where I'm happy if anyone even happens to know they exist and stumbles upon them, let alone does anything else :p*. My fandom list tends to be an almost even split between sitcoms ("Frasier", "Wings", "United States of Al") and dramas, especially darker ones ("Criminal Minds", "The Good Doctor", "Evil"). And then there's "Monk", which is a mix of comedy and drama, so it all balances out in the end, LOL.

If/when the Frasier reboot airs this year, hopefully that fandom will come back to life.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I think I'm too damn nice to the characters in my fics :p. I can't seem to put them through much in the way of physical pain, I don't torture them the way some fic writers do. My stories seem to be a space where they can just talk out the crap they've been through with another character they're close to. I said once that my stories tend to have the theme of, "If the characters aren't getting what they want and need in canon, I will be the one nice enough to give it to them." :D. 

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, ha, I've been called too mean and that what I write in a specific chapter is a little too much for what the show is. Ooops. But I'm not even sorry, dramatic storylines and hurt/comfort is my jam :p.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That is a good mix of fandoms there :D! I can see some similarity in some of them, and yet there's a fun bit of variety as well. I've seen mention of remix fics when I've scrolled through on AO3, but I'm not quite sure exactly what they are. I imagine they're pretty fun :). 

They're pretty good fun.  I did a few of them.  What happens is, you sign up and give a list of the fandoms that you have at least a certain number of fics written in, and a list of the fandoms you'd like to write in.  Then you get given a name and have to take one of their stories and write your own version of it.  You're allowed to nominate a story that you don't want to be rewritten and I don't think you were allowed remix a previous remix, but apart from that, it was a case of anything goes!

8 hours ago, ElleryAnne said:

Are your crossovers on AO3?  I love a good crossover, and QL and SN are two of my favorites for crossovers.  They're two of the LBD's of fanfic - they go with just about anything.

I don't think I was posting to AO3 when I wrote the crossovers.   Only about a quarter of my stories are posted there.  Although I do try to crosspost to AO3 as well as fanfiction.net whenever I post anything new, just in case one site ever disappears, I like knowing that I have a backup.

I miss the days of the yahoogroups mailing lists.  There were so many dedicated to specific shows and sometimes even specific pairings.  It made it very easy to find new writers and a new audience. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

They're pretty good fun.  I did a few of them.  What happens is, you sign up and give a list of the fandoms that you have at least a certain number of fics written in, and a list of the fandoms you'd like to write in.  Then you get given a name and have to take one of their stories and write your own version of it.  You're allowed to nominate a story that you don't want to be rewritten and I don't think you were allowed remix a previous remix, but apart from that, it was a case of anything goes!

Ahhhh, okay. Wow. That sounds interesting. And tough - I'd be so nervous about writing my own version of someone's story! But it would be entertaining to see somebody's take on your work like that :D. 

12 hours ago, ElleryAnne said:

If/when the Frasier reboot airs this year, hopefully that fandom will come back to life.

That'd be nice :). The fandom actually is surprisingly still a little active - not on the level of major fandoms, no, but there's a few authors lurking around who post stuff, and a fairly active subreddit that has some good discussion. 

But yeah, it would be interesting to see what the reboot could do for the fandom, whether it turns out good or bad (and hopefully, of course, it'll be the former).

14 hours ago, ESS said:

I'm not saying I'm not appreciative of them writing for Gemma/Nero in general, but the way they wrote some of things that Gemma and Nero did or their reactions weren't how I saw them at all in other words looked out the box with Gemma and her personality so it's hard for me when I read their stories to think they even watched the same show I did and the especially when the fandom writes (and still does) Gemma so mean, coldhearted, angry and all that, but to me that part of her was just a defense mechanism all the way and that's it because when she was with Nero she was a different person, it wasn't a big change, but it was there and I saw it instantly. 

I do have some people I can talk with Gemma/Nero about, but not much because well it seems like everything that I wanted to say has been said and the fact that SOA has been over for years now doesn't help and the fact that the fandom hates on Gemma so much too that's another reason why Gemma/Nero aren't a popular couple sadly, but even Nero isn't popular either and I'll understand that because Nero was a great character and man in general. 

LOL, I know what you mean about feeling sometimes like other people are watching a whole different show from you :p. And I can also sympathize with liking a pairing that isn't popular, or a character (especially a female character) that isn't popular. 

It's so weird how some fandoms can remain active years after the canon ends, and others kinda peter out. Maybe that fandom just needs a new influx of fans discovering the show for the first time. Sometimes that can breathe new life into a fandom, and bring some new perspectives on well-worn storylines and character moments. That's what's happened with the "Criminal Minds" fandom, it's gotten something of a second wind in recent times due to some new and younger fans discovering it via streaming. 

I am glad that you're overall happy with how things have played out with Dan/Louise on "The Conners", at least :). Hopefully the show will continue to give you plenty more material to work with involving them as time goes on. 

6 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, ha, I've been called too mean and that what I write in a specific chapter is a little too much for what the show is. Ooops. But I'm not even sorry, dramatic storylines and hurt/comfort is my jam :p.

Ha, oh, yeah, I may have trouble writing some of those darker kinds of stories, but I do love reading that kind of thing. I like it when fans will go a little deeper than what the canon sometimes allows like that. 

LOL, I know what you mean about feeling sometimes like other people are watching a whole different show from you :p. And I can also sympathize with liking a pairing that isn't popular, or a character (especially a female character) that isn't popular. 

It's so weird how some fandoms can remain active years after the canon ends, and others kinda peter out. Maybe that fandom just needs a new influx of fans discovering the show for the first time. Sometimes that can breathe new life into a fandom, and bring some new perspectives on well-worn storylines and character moments. That's what's happened with the "Criminal Minds" fandom, it's gotten something of a second wind in recent times due to some new and younger fans discovering it via streaming. 

I am glad that you're overall happy with how things have played out with Dan/Louise on "The Conners", at least :). Hopefully the show will continue to give you plenty more material to work with involving them as time goes on. 

Yeah well SOA is a big and a popular fandom in fanfiction, but sadly only with the most popular couple on the show which was Jax/Tara who I can't stand period and I never shipped them. It'll never be popular with the other couples/pairings unfortunately, only in my dreams which makes so frustrated and sad. The only fans and shippers in the SOA fandom are especially on FFN (where sadly they've taken over that whole category) are the Jax/Tara shippers all of the Gemma/Nero shippers - at least the ones that even wrote for them at one point are gone off the site and have been for a while. I got into SOA way late so by the time I did and got into fanfiction there all of the fans Gemma/Nero were gone and haven't been back at all that I've noticed, so it just sucks for me really. 

Yes Dan & Louise I love what's been happening with them so far and can't wait to see what else is gonna happen later - at least that's something positive for one of my couples and the fact that they got married as well is another positive for me. 

• Love 1
On 1/12/2022 at 11:49 AM, BlackberryJam said:

To post on Twitter insulting the fanfic within your own preferred fandom is just utterly trashy. 

I will never understand this. It's free! What kind of person bitches about that? The most I ever do is just back out of a fanfic if I don't like it. No mean comments, no twatting. Just move it on.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, festivus said:

I will never understand this. It's free! What kind of person bitches about that? The most I ever do is just back out of a fanfic if I don't like it. No mean comments, no twatting. Just move it on.

My favorites are the people who go into a fic that is clearly tagged with the characters/pairing/content warnings/etc. and STILL whine that that stuff is either in there or not who or what they wanted to read about. Reading comprehension, people, please learn it. 

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, festivus said:

This is what I do as well if I don't like a story. I'll never understand why people do that kind of thing either! 

29 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

My favorites are the people who go into a fic that is clearly tagged with the characters/pairing/content warnings/etc. and STILL whine that that stuff is either in there or not who or what they wanted to read about. Reading comprehension, people, please learn it. 

Yep exactly or they don't read author's notes that's what happened to me and it's how I got trolled and harassed on my fic.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Ergh. I'm sorry that happened to you. 

Yep it was a disaster, but I put major warnings on the story and chanted a few things after that, but of course not before taking down my story for a bit because of all the trolling and harassment and then put it back up again per one my readers who loves the story so in the end it’s all good the trolls are blocked. You put all your heart & soul into your fic and people are jerks just because ugh!!! 😡🙄 why can’t people just click out and move on!!??

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ESS said:

Yep it was a disaster, but I put major warnings on the story and chanted a few things after that, but of course not before taking down my story for a bit because of all the trolling and harassment and then put it back up again per one my readers who loves the story so in the end it’s all good the trolls are blocked. You put all your heart & soul into your fic and people are jerks just because ugh!!! 😡🙄 why can’t people just click out and move on!!??

I'm glad that reader convinced you to put your story back up :). Best way to deal with those kinds of idiots is to just block/ignore/delete the comments where possible (and if they're getting into harassment territory, take screencaps and report them to the administrators, who can take it from there), and otherwise ignore them and keep on doing what you're doing. Takes the wind out of their sails when they realize they can't get to you. 

(I've also seen some people just leave the nasty comments up so that the poster's stupidity and ignorance can be on display for all to read. That seems to have worked for some authors, too.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I'm glad that reader convinced you to put your story back up :). Best way to deal with those kinds of idiots is to just block/ignore/delete the comments where possible (and if they're getting into harassment territory, take screencaps and report them to the administrators, who can take it from there), and otherwise ignore them and keep on doing what you're doing. Takes the wind out of their sails when they realize they can't get to you. 

(I've also seen some people just leave the nasty comments up so that the poster's stupidity and ignorance can be on display for all to read. That seems to have worked for some authors, too.)

I did block them, but also deleted my account over at A03 too and of the comments got deleted too, but that's not where it all started though it started on FFN and moved to all three which again I blocked them on wattpad too, come to find out I wasn't the only one this person trolled and harassed there's others see they ship the way more popular couple on SOA so that's how this all started in first place and it was my mistake messaging them back trying to defend my story and why I wrote what I did. On wattpad though the person deleted their account (apparently) after trolling and harassing me there for a while it seemed to me the only reason they ever even there was trolled and harass me about my story I mean it's pretty obvious once they deleted their account probably soon after I had blocked them (I found that they left when I looked at my muted accounts and theirs wasn't there anymore) Come to find out I wasn't the only one this person did this too and that makes me feel better that because I realized I wasn't alone in it anymore. I love (d) it over at A03 I admit, but I don't think I'd want to go through all that again with my story and plus you can't block anyone there (at least I don't think, that could have changed now) so I just stay over at FFN and wattpad even though I do love some of the features A03 has especially the chapter summaries option I wish FFN & wattpad had that). This person is an adult I mean seriously how much more childish, petty and immature can you get trolling and harassing someone over a story (and fanfiction one nonetheless which isn't real mind you) give me a break!!! I don't get what I want in a story either  a lot of the times, but really?? I don't go and do that to other writers when I don't get what I want so they shouldn't be doing that to me. 🙄 It still hurts, but I'm continuing on with my story and I still love it and I'm gonna finish whenever that is because I have to and I want to so that's my plan. 

4 hours ago, ESS said:

I did block them, but also deleted my account over at A03 too and of the comments got deleted too, but that's not where it all started though it started on FFN and moved to all three which again I blocked them on wattpad too, come to find out I wasn't the only one this person trolled and harassed there's others see they ship the way more popular couple on SOA so that's how this all started in first place and it was my mistake messaging them back trying to defend my story and why I wrote what I did. On wattpad though the person deleted their account (apparently) after trolling and harassing me there for a while it seemed to me the only reason they ever even there was trolled and harass me about my story I mean it's pretty obvious once they deleted their account probably soon after I had blocked them (I found that they left when I looked at my muted accounts and theirs wasn't there anymore) Come to find out I wasn't the only one this person did this too and that makes me feel better that because I realized I wasn't alone in it anymore. I love (d) it over at A03 I admit, but I don't think I'd want to go through all that again with my story and plus you can't block anyone there (at least I don't think, that could have changed now) so I just stay over at FFN and wattpad even though I do love some of the features A03 has especially the chapter summaries option I wish FFN & wattpad had that). This person is an adult I mean seriously how much more childish, petty and immature can you get trolling and harassing someone over a story (and fanfiction one nonetheless which isn't real mind you) give me a break!!! I don't get what I want in a story either  a lot of the times, but really?? I don't go and do that to other writers when I don't get what I want so they shouldn't be doing that to me. 🙄 It still hurts, but I'm continuing on with my story and I still love it and I'm gonna finish whenever that is because I have to and I want to so that's my plan. 

If some loser is trolling authors because they don't like the ship, they really need to get a life.  Or a therapist.  Probably both.  Either way, I'm sorry you were hurt by them, but please never let them discourage you from writing. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, ElleryAnne said:

If some loser is trolling authors because they don't like the ship, they really need to get a life.  Or a therapist.  Probably both.  Either way, I'm sorry you were hurt by them, but please never let them discourage you from writing. 

Thank you! It was only one person thank god, but it’s all good now for me and my story. I definitely agree with you on that it’s so dumb to do things like that. I’m not letting them discourage me at all, I’m still writing! 😊❤️

• Love 4

You can turn off or moderate comments on AO3. Turning them off means you can't interact with anyone. Sorry you had to deal with assholes. 

I just want to say thanks to everyone who agrees that comment trolls or people who discourage other writers are dicks. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

You can turn off or moderate comments on AO3. Turning them off means you can't interact with anyone. Sorry you had to deal with assholes. 

I just want to say thanks to everyone who agrees that comment trolls or people who discourage other writers are dicks. 

The only problem with that is I don't know if the person is still over there, but they most likely are and then probably will start to troll and harass me when I put up my story there again, but as I said I'd love to go back...I just don't know if it would be a good idea.  

Edited by ESS
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, ESS said:

The only problem with that is I don't know if the person is still over there, but they most likely are and then probably will start to troll and harass me when I put up my story there again, but as I said I'd love to go back...I just don't know if it would be a good idea.  

If you turn off comments completely, they can't troll you ON AO3 at all. They can still find you other places. Also, tell that troll to fuck off. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

If you turn off comments completely, they can't troll you ON AO3 at all. They can still find you other places. Also, tell that troll to fuck off. 

Yeah well even so I still don't know and I wanted to tell them off so badly, but it's not my style to go off on people like that, but it would have been a good idea if I was like that. I don't know if I'd want to turn off comments though because there might be nice comments you know and I have a reader of my story that's also on there as well and I'd like them to comment over there (if I were over there that is) 

• Love 1

Haven't had a chance to do any writing today, but I do have a few WIP one-shots open on my computer that I've been poking about with and working on over the last couple weeks or so :). I'm hoping to get at least one of them finished and posted sometime soon. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Haven't had a chance to do any writing today, but I do have a few WIP one-shots open on my computer that I've been poking about with and working on over the last couple weeks or so :). I'm hoping to get at least one of them finished and posted sometime soon. 

That's great! I'm still working on chapter 23 of my story.. I've written a little, but hopefully I can get back into it again soon.

Edited by ESS
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yay! We will hold you to that! :o)

• Love 1

I posted a oneshot today that I was struggling with because of the topic matter (grief). Last night I decided it was 90-95% good and all I was doing was tweaking dialogue lines over and over, so I kind of got to the point where I’m like OK this is almost perfect as it is! 

• Love 1
On 1/23/2022 at 3:21 PM, ESS said:

How is everyone's writing going today?? 

I've been trying to finish a two part CSI NY fic for a few weeks now, so instead of working on it over the weekend, I came up with ideas for two other fics and started plotting them, doh!

Ah well, at least I'm writing something even if it's just notes for stories that I'll probably never get to! 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I posted a oneshot today that I was struggling with because of the topic matter (grief). Last night I decided it was 90-95% good and all I was doing was tweaking dialogue lines over and over, so I kind of got to the point where I’m like OK this is almost perfect as it is! 

Ha, I know that feeling :p. I've been there, too. Indeed, sometimes there can get a point where it feels like you're overthinking/overworking things a little TOO much, LOL. 

8 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Ah well, at least I'm writing something even if it's just notes for stories that I'll probably never get to! 

I have sooooo many outlines and notes saved for various fics I"m working on :D. Sometimes I'll even write out little snippets of scenes/dialogue that pop into my head in there, too - even if it changes on its way to the final draft, at least writing a rough draft of it gives me an idea of what I want that scene to look like. 

But yeah, wishing everyone luck with all the fics they're working on! Hope all goes well with the plotting and planning and so forth!

10 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Yay! We will hold you to that! :o)

Ha, thanks :D. I did post a couple fics at Christmastime, so that's something, at least :p. 

• Love 1

I have sooooo many outlines and notes saved for various fics I"m working on :D. Sometimes I'll even write out little snippets of scenes/dialogue that pop into my head in there, too - even if it changes on its way to the final draft, at least writing a rough draft of it gives me an idea of what I want that scene to look like. 

This is me too I’ve got so many ideas rolling around in my head it’s like my mind never shuts them off until I write them down or at least start them somehow. 

• Love 3

I keep a OneNote doc just for notes and ideas and snippets of dialogue.  Sometimes I'll even get ideas for complete scenes that I'll jot down and then just wait until I can find a plot or story to put them in.  It's one way of making sure that I won't forget them!  And then of course if I do manage to write the story, it's interesting to go back later and see how different or similar the original idea was from the final product. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, ESS said:

This is me too I’ve got so many ideas rolling around in my head it’s like my mind never shuts them off until I write them down or at least start them somehow. 

Yep. Pretty much sums it up :D. Plus, alongside the reasons you and @Ceindreadh mention as to why it's a good idea to do that, even if those scenes and snippets don't wind up making it into the particular story you're writing, they may wind up being a part of some other story someday down the line, or at least help inspire a future story. 

And it's also nice to have that stuff saved somewhere because it's like the written version of those DVD extras that have bonus features and deleted scenes :D. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yep. Pretty much sums it up :D. Plus, alongside the reasons you and @Ceindreadh mention as to why it's a good idea to do that, even if those scenes and snippets don't wind up making it into the particular story you're writing, they may wind up being a part of some other story someday down the line, or at least help inspire a future story. 

And it's also nice to have that stuff saved somewhere because it's like the written version of those DVD extras that have bonus features and deleted scenes :D. 

Oh yeah it's definitely a great idea to have ideas written down because then you won't forget them - in fact I have mine jotted down on my notes thing on my computer and I periodicity look at it from time to time. In addition my ideas for the story I'm writing now only, but I do have other ideas in my story for another story I want to write as well. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I was at a Sci-Fi convention and the author Robert Rankin was talking on a panel about how he always wrote longhand on paper when doing his books.  Partly because it made it easier to go to the pub and work on his writing (this being in the days before laptops and/or tablets were around) and partly because it meant that he had a record of all the drafts, which he wouldn't have had if he'd been editing on a word processor as he went along. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I haven't been writing as much as I want to.  (real life and the need to do actual work to put food on the table has a habit of getting in the way). 

I'm trying to get a title for a Mac/Flack CSI NY fic which has a bit of a 'Great British Baking show' crossover going on.  The story is finished but I can't post it until I get a name.

So instead of working on the name, I decided to start a Flack and Hawkes fic, because I wanted to try something different.  So far I have about 8 pages of notes but I can't get the opening paragraph just right, doh!

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

I haven't been writing as much as I want to.  (real life and the need to do actual work to put food on the table has a habit of getting in the way). 

I'm trying to get a title for a Mac/Flack CSI NY fic which has a bit of a 'Great British Baking show' crossover going on.  The story is finished but I can't post it until I get a name.

So instead of working on the name, I decided to start a Flack and Hawkes fic, because I wanted to try something different.  So far I have about 8 pages of notes but I can't get the opening paragraph just right, doh!

Those stories sound great!

For me my on going story is still going.. haven't worked too much on it I guess my motivation isn't there because it's a rare pair and so are most of my pairings/couples I love. Chapter 23 of my on going story still doesn't have a title either as I usually wait until the chapter is finished to do that, but I have some idea of what I want it to be. Titles are the worst thing for me to think of honestly.

Although I have gotten some ideas for my other rare pair that I love, but I haven't started on it just yet, but I do have a title for it.  

I also have two other stories I've started one has more written on it then the other, but don't know when I'll post those up though. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

@ESS Do you do individual chapter titles?  I'm managed that with a few of my stories, but usually I think if I can get an overall story title that's enough!

Yes I do especially for my multi chaptered stories which I haven't done too many of those lately and I've never done a story this long before either. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Ugh, been there. Titles are such a pain to think up sometimes, they really are. Same with summaries. Maybe if you give us the summary of your fic, we can help you think up a title, if you want :)? 

I've done individual chapter titles, too, for a couple of my fics. Those were easy, because they were either just named after the character or the episode that inspired the chapter :p. But yeah, those can be fun to play with if the story calls for such a thing. 

I need to get back to working on my fics - I've got so many one-shots open and which I'm poking around with, I need to focus and find one that I can actually finish and post :p. And I want to do something for a couple monthly prompts - there's that whump one for this month that was mentioned up thread, and there's a Valentine's prompt from the fanfiction subreddit that I want to do something with, too.

So. Yeah. Where to start, that's my real issue right at the moment :p. 

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Ugh, been there. Titles are such a pain to think up sometimes, they really are. Same with summaries. Maybe if you give us the summary of your fic, we can help you think up a title, if you want :)? 

I've done individual chapter titles, too, for a couple of my fics. Those were easy, because they were either just named after the character or the episode that inspired the chapter :p. But yeah, those can be fun to play with if the story calls for such a thing. 

I need to get back to working on my fics - I've got so many one-shots open and which I'm poking around with, I need to focus and find one that I can actually finish and post :p. And I want to do something for a couple monthly prompts - there's that whump one for this month that was mentioned up thread, and there's a Valentine's prompt from the fanfiction subreddit that I want to do something with, too.

So. Yeah. Where to start, that's my real issue right at the moment :p. 

I haven't done too many one shots at all. I usually do either drabbles or multi chaptered stories which honestly those are something I haven't many of either, but of course I'm trying to change that now. For my chapter titles I usually do with something that sums up the chapter. 

I really would like to start on my new story on Dan & Louise that I have plots down for, but I have two other stories on Gemma/Nero I want to continue with as well and of course there's my story on them that's still in progress too.. ugh too many stories, so many to choose from. My new Dan & Louise story though does have a title already for it and I think it's a great one.

It's hard to focus on so many stories at once, but when I do I try my best to just focus on that couple or pairing I'm writing for and just block out anything else, but that's easier said than done a lot of the times at least for me. 

Edited by ESS
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Heh, the only thing harder than getting a title can be deciding on a summary!

It's even harder when I'm posting multi-chaptered stories because I want to give a summary of the last chapter, but I don't want to give away spoilers on a main page for anybody reading it later on.

Anyway, so the summary for my CSI NY fic -

"Mac and Don have a ‘friends with benefits’ thing going on.  No commitments, no responsibilities, just the way they like it.  When Don comes down with the flu, Mac breaks their agreed boundaries to look after him.  But has he overstepped the mark and will their relationship be the same afterwards?"

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

It's even harder when I'm posting multi-chaptered stories because I want to give a summary of the last chapter, but I don't want to give away spoilers on a main page for anybody reading it later on.

With summaries I just put them in one place which is in the summary boxes on the fanfiction sites I post on and for my multi chaptered story I've been putting "previously on" type of thing and just like the last thing that happened in that chapter which I don't know if it really gives away much, although I guess it could, but my readers don't seem to mind in fact I think it helps them because then they don't forget what happened in the previous chapter I think and they do if I didn't put that there. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

@ESS as a reader, I really appreciate it when writers put a recap at the beginning of a new chapter.  Especially if it's been a long time between updates. 

Yep I do for sure! Yeah I just thought that’d be a great idea when I started the story and I’m glad I did it. Just wondering do you know of Sons Of Anarchy? 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

And whether it's a long fic or a one shot, it's tough either way. For long fics, people have to figure out how to distill an entire story's plot down to just a few sentences. For one shots, in my case, I usually just have a sentence or two for a summary, and even then it's tough to figure out how to sum it all up in one sentence :p. 

Anyway, so the summary for my CSI NY fic -

"Mac and Don have a ‘friends with benefits’ thing going on.  No commitments, no responsibilities, just the way they like it.  When Don comes down with the flu, Mac breaks their agreed boundaries to look after him.  But has he overstepped the mark and will their relationship be the same afterwards?"

Okay, first off, this story sounds intriguing and cute :D. I've not seen this show, but I've heard of it, and I'm kinda curious to read this!

But hm, okay, there's some good possibilities for story titles there, so I'll think it over and see if a suggestion or two comes to mind :). 

• Love 1

I’ve been doing the February Ficlet Challenge. The prompts are posted on the challenge Tumblr every day and you have 24 hours to write a ficlet (generally less than 1,000 words) for the prompt you choose, as two prompts are given. I decided to do it because writing a small story seemed easy enough every day and it’s kind of fun to get to that level of completion. 

I nominated my first longfic for the Reddit fanfiction sub awards but didn’t win. It was a bit of a bummer but also seemed to be a popularity contest where known posters and/or those in big fandoms won. But now at least one of my fics is up for an award in a Discord I’m in, where anyone could be nominated for that fandom but only members can submit works and vote. Maybe a smaller voting pool will be better for me. Either way I know it doesn’t matter but I like when people recognize my work and appreciate it. 

• Love 1