Type keyword(s) to search

Good on Paper (2021)

• Start Topic

After years of putting her career ahead of love, stand-up comic Andrea Singer stumbles upon the perfect guy. On paper, Dennis checks all the boxes, but Andrea's friend, Margot, is convinced he's not all he appears to be.

Trailer:

Release date: 6/23/21

(edited)

I tried it, but I gave up when I figured out they put the (obviously good-looking) Ryan Hansen in fake buck teeth.  An interview claims he wore fake teeth and a fake gut, but actually , in the early pool scene, the camera VERY OBVIOUSLY cuts away from Ryan's body and shows a "chubbier" guy's stomach instead.  Really disgusting.  Putting an actor in uglyface.  That's a new one.  This isn't "Monster" for crying out loud.  Just hire an actor that doesn't look like Ryan if you want him to have "average looks".

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I liked it a lot. To be fair, I went through my own breakup during the pandemic with someone who lied about a bunch of stuff (though not to the extent that Dennis did in the movie!) so it felt weirdly cathartic for me. Like watching Andrea try to justify why she hadn't seen Dennis's house, or his inconsistencies...it felt a lot like how I was when I was trying to pretend my ex wasn't cheating. 

I watched this last night. I thought it was good but like a lot of Netflix productions it could have been better. I find this with the majority of Netflix films, they're very formulaic with little substance. The idea is very unique and I feel the execution would have been better. I like the lead and thought Ryan Hansen was good. Margaret Cho is always great but some of the conversation between her and the lead dragged on a lot and was never as funny as the movie thought it was.

• Love 1

Was I the only one that thought maybe, just maybe him reporting her to the police wasn't completely uncalled for? From his point of view she kidnapped him and assaulted him. Yes, he was absolutely wrong up until then. And there is a case to be made against him of sex by deception, so I wasn't happy with how the judge dismissed that argument. But ultimately, you can't keep someone in pain without medical treatment and fear that they are being held against their will until you decided they have been sufficiently humbled.