Type keyword(s) to search

Star City News

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

(edited)

ick-poster-tiff.jpg

(source)

ICK (USA; 2024) TIFF Q&A w/ Joseph Kahn, Brandon Routh, Malina Weissman, Melina Suvari, Jeff Fahey
Coolestmovies   Sep 8, 2024

Q&A from the North American premiere of the American horror-comedy ICK with (left to right) producer Steven Schneider, director and co-screenwriter Joseph Kahn (second from left), and actors Malina Weissman, Harrison Cone, Taia Sophia, Debra Wilson, Mena Suvari, Zeke Jones, Jeff Fahey, Diya Rao, and Brandon Routh. Recorded at the Toronto International Film Festival, Midnight Madness, on Saturday, September 7, 2024.

Edited by tv echo

BACK AGAIN
LegalDispatch 108

Marc Guggenheim   Sep 13, 2024
https://marcguggenheim.substack.com/p/back-again 

In rummaging through my hard drive in search of something for this newsletter’s “From the Vault” section, my eye caught the “Saga Sell” folder in my Arrow directory.

For the uninitiated, a “Saga Sell” is the brief (and now almost extinct) narration at the start of an episode of television that tells new viewers what they need to know about the show. For example, Star Trek’s saga sell informed viewers that they were about to watch “the voyages of the starship Enterprise [whose] five-year mission [is] to explore strange new worlds.” Another example, The A-Team. I can do this one from memory: “In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn’t commit. They promptly escaped to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire… the A-Team.”

Anyways, here’s the very first draft of the saga sell that I wrote for Arrow.

My name is Oliver Queen.  To the world I am a billionaire playboy, but I’m not what I seem. 

5 years ago, everything change.  Most of all, I changed. 

Now I’ve returned with a clear mission.  To save a failed city. 

To protect those closest to me, I must be someone else.  I must be something else. 

Some will try and destroy me.  Some will help me bring justice, to a world gone wrong. 

I mean, the unintentional rhyme in the first line is disqualifying all by itself.

Here’s the second draft. Slightly better:

My name is Oliver Queen.

In an instant…my life changed forever.

For the next 5 years…I had to survive.

I had to get home.

I had to honor my Father’s dying wish.

Now I have returned.

Not the boy who was shipwrecked…

But the man…who will save a failed city.

But to do that without endangering those closest to me…

I must become someone else.

I must become someTHING else.

And I won’t stop…until Justice is Done.

That last line makes me cringe.

Here’s the finished product courtesy of YouTube:

Edited by tv echo

Greg Berlanti’s 20 Best Shows, Ranked
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz, Rebecca Iannucci   September 14, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/greg-berlanti-best-shows-ranked/ 

04  Arrow
It was the show that launched a whole universe. First out of the gate, Arrow immediately made an impression with its more gritty and realistic take on the superhero genre — remember, no one had superpowers when the series first launched — and then paved the way for an entire franchise. Over the course of its run, Arrow introduced indelible villains (Slade!), shocked with memorable twists (Ra’s Al Ghul stabs Oliver and sends him tumbling down a snowy cliff!) and gutted us more than once with a heartbreaking death (R.I.P., Tommy). Oliver Queen & Co. set a high standard for all the CW superhero shows that would follow it. — V.G.