Type keyword(s) to search

Star City News

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Brandon Routh is no longer participating in the RetroSpecs Table Read of The West Wing on April 21...

THIRD TIME'S THE CHARM?
LegalDispatch .95

MARC GUGGENHEIM   APR 16, 2024
https://marcguggenheim.substack.com/p/third-times-the-charm 

As I mentioned in a previous Dispatch, writer Ben Blacker is holding one of his “Retrospecs” shows where real actors table read spec scripts written by professional writers before they broke into the business. This Sunday, they’ll be reading the West Wing script that got me my first job in television. I’m grateful that Katie Cassidy (Arrow) and Jason George (Eli Stone) will be among the actors lending their talents.
I was working on clearing out my iCloud drive the other day and came upon an interesting artifact. The second Arrowverse crossover introduced Vandal Savage, Hawkman and Hawkwoman — all of whom would go on to play major roles in the first season of Legends of Tomorrow.

There’s a key sequence in Arrow Ep. 408 (the second part of the crossover) where Savage fights our heroes and, well, it didn’t turn out particularly well. We’d ran out of time on the day we originally shot it and had to make some compromises on the fly. Once we got into the editing room, however, we realized that the sequence, as shot, didn’t make a lick of narrative sense. Accordingly, I did a rewrite on the sequence and returned to Vancouver for a day’s worth of reshoots.

Reshoots are expensive by virtue of the fact that they’re not initially budgeted for and you certainly don’t want to be in a spot where you have to do reshoots on the reshoots, so the stakes are high. You really have to get it right.

To that end, we painstakingly shot-listed and storyboarded exactly what we needed to get in order to make the revised sequence work.

I think what makes these storyboards particularly interesting is that you can see how the footage from the reshoots is designed to work with the scene as originally shot.

I’ve uploaded those storyboards to Google Drive for your enjoyment. You can check them out by clicking here.

Edited by tv echo

Season 2 of Josh Segarra's comedy series The Big Door Prize will premiere on Apple TV+ on Apr. 24...

Chris O’Dowd And Josh Segarra Talk Season Two Of 'The Big Door Prize'
AllYourScreens   Apr 17, 2024

(edited)

Bradon Routh will be getting an award at the Julien Dubuque International Film Festival 2024, April 24-28, 2024 (Dubuque, IA)...

The Julien Dubuque International Film Festival 2024 Lineup and Honors Brandon Routh with Creative Visionary Award
Lynk PR   April 18, 2024
https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/704178105/the-julien-dubuque-international-film-festival-2024-lineup-and-honors-brandon-routh-with-creative-visionary-award 

LOS ANGELES, CA, USA, April 18, 2024 /EINPresswire.com/ -- Set against the historic backdrop of Dubuque, the Julien Dubuque International Film Festival (JDIFF) is proud to announce its 2024 edition, taking place from April 24th to 28th. This year, JDIFF is not only showcasing a diverse selection of independent films but also introducing the JDIFF Creative Visionary Award, with Brandon Routh, renowned for his role as Superman in SUPERMAN RETURNS, as its first recipient.

Brandon Routh, whose career has spanned various genres and platforms, exemplifies the spirit of innovation and community that JDIFF celebrates. His contributions to film, characterized by flexible and committed performances, have made significant impacts on both the industry and audiences worldwide.
Award Night Celebration - Saturday Apr 27, 2024

The culmination of the festival will be the Awards Night, where Brandon Routh will be honored with the Creative Visionary Award. This award recognizes individuals who have shown a commitment to innovative storytelling, cultural impact, and nurturing emerging talent within the film industry.

Edited by tv echo

John Barrowman was at Comic Con North East (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) the weekend of April 13-14...

Torchwood Panel | Gareth David-Lloyd and John Barrowman | Comic-Con North East 2024
Monopoly Events   posted Apr 21, 2024

Chicago Med's Colin Donnell to Join FBI: International for Final 2 Episodes of Season 3 (Exclusive)
By Julia Moore and Breanne L. Heldman    April 24, 2024 
https://people.com/chicago-med-colin-donnell-join-fbi-international-final-2-episodes-of-season-3-exclusive-8638299 

Chicago Med alum Colin Donnell will be guest starring in the final two episodes of the CBS show's third season, PEOPLE can exclusively confirm. It's unclear what role Donnell, 41, will be playing as he joins the Dick Wolf universe for the episodes, which will air May 14 and May 21 to close out the season.
The news of Donnell joining two episodes of FBI: International marks his first TV appearance since he exited Chicago Med in 2019 after four seasons as Dr. Connor Rhodes. At the time, he wrote in a post on X (formerly Twitter) that he was "sorry" to share the news.
Since Chicago Med, Donnell has become a father of two, and most recently starred in The Shark Is Broken on Broadway, a comedic play that theatricalizes the behind-the-scenes shenanigans that took place when the cameras stopped rolling between takes of Steven Spielberg's 1975 classic blockbuster, Jaws.

• Like 1

Marc Guggenheim Explores Multiverses in 'In Any Lifetime' | Writing & Themes | #writingtips
The Successful Screenwriter   Apr 24, 2024

(edited)

You can watch the video interview in the article linked below...

Steve Yockey & Beth Schwartz Talk ‘Dead Boy Detectives’ & Olicity
RAQUEL   APRIL 24, 2024
https://fangirlish.com/2024/04/24/steve-yockey-beth-schwartz-talk-dead-boy-detectives-olicity/ 

-- When asked if we'll see a couple as special as Olicity in Dead Boy Detectives, Beth Schwartz (laughing): "Oh, boy! I haven't heard that in so long! ... I mean, Olicity is its own thing, so I can't compare that. But I think there are gonna be a lot of things for fans, um, to kind of root for and to ship. Um, I think that all of our characters - I mean, I think what's most important is all of our friendship core and, like, their friendship towards each other and how it evolves, which I do think is similar to how our Team Arrow, in terms of having this group together that's working to solve, you know, cases. Um, but yeah, I can't really compare Olicity to [unintelligible words]. I'm very happy you brought that up, because I haven't thought about that in a while."

Edited by tv echo

From EBR's panel at Supanova Melbourne on April 6...

-- Fan: "My question is, um, originally Felicity Smoak was supposed to appear in the one episode of Arrow where you first meet her. So what's the story with how your character ended up becoming a series regular throughout nearly the entire time?"
EBR:
"Sure. Um. Great. You've done your research. That's positive. Everyone so far has an A plus... Felicity was a day player role, that is correct. I was 8 - 19 at the time. It was August - August 4, I think was the date. Um, and it was a - it was sort of like a step in one day audition. That's kind of what they needed for the episode, for the story. As far as things going forward, now, the kind of rest of it is out of my hands with the story. I have been told that is, that episode was shown to, um, journalists and that kind of thing in like the preview before, you know, [unintelligible word] public get to see it. And the questions were, who is this character? Does this character come back? Because they don't know anything either, you know. And so, that sort of hype, um, or interest, I think, around Felicity was the first sort of nugget. Like, oh, maybe we should bring her back in a couple episodes... And Beth Schwarts was the one who told me... - I think she was a writer's assistant in Season 1 and she ended up, you know, showrunning for us through - through the end. Her legacy is incredible. Um, she would always mention that, like, Felicity was just the missing piece, that we needed this - we needed someone to hold this character in this series. Um. And, yeah, she just went from one episode to two episodes to three episodes to series regular, very fast... And my 20's went by at the speed of light... It's really an honor to have Felicity as a part of my heart. And especially, you know, someone who was growing up on that show and had wanted to discover, you know, characters and learn about humanity through the art of acting my whole life. So I feel really honored to have had that moment."

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Our Man Zelenka: Stargate Atlantis’s Unsung Hero
An Interview With David Nykl

Darren   APRIL 26, 2024
https://www.gateworld.net/news/2024/04/our-man-zelenka-stargate-atlantis-unsung-hero/ 

GW: David, what are you been working on lately? It’s been a while since Arrow was done, but boy we just loved Anatoly as a character.

DN: Did you? Did you guys see that?

GW: Yeah, we watched religiously. We love the way that the dynamic shifted and then Anatoly becomes a bit of an antagonist for a little while. Working on that show and working with Stephen Amell …

DN: It was fun. Stephen Amell is great. He’s a consummate professional. Man, the work that that kid did on that show was pretty impressive. I mean, from starting in the gym in the morning to that sort of … I don’t have that kind of devotion. Good for him!

It was a harder show than Stargate in a lot of ways. It was street-level crime so a lot of stunt work, ratchet work, rolling in puddles at 2 in the morning sort of thing … in nice Italian shoes. Driving nice cars. That’s what I remember. But mostly night shoots. And a pretty serious set. There was a little bit of fooling around, but because of the amount of work that needed to get done – and it was a lot harder because guys were jumping off of buildings, and like I said, ratchets. So stunts were a big thing. I’d spend hours waiting in the trailer for a stunt to happen and then I’d have my scene, for example. So those sorts of things were great.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

The Lamorning After #11: Kat does the calculations (Feat. Katherine McNamara)
The Lamorning After Podcast   Apr 24, 2024

Katherine McNamara stops by to talk to Lamorne and Kyle about going from Missouri to Broadway, the statistical odds of alien life, and the most burdensome super powers.

0:00 Intro
0:23 is it…Art?
3:37 welcome Katherine McNamara
4:19 The Economist
5:35 Aliens?
10:19 Acting vs Lying
15:56 it’s polling time…
17:31 the girl can fight 
23:23 are we time traveling?
27:03 RIP the hoverboard
32:31 Static Shock!
34:52 TBT
36:31 the LA stages
45:10 the time Elaine Stritch took Kat to 30 Rock…
50:05 they call me Josh Bocelli 
54:50 Harry Potter: Round 2
1:00:47 Game Night: Name The Superhero
1:07:20 Flowers and Chocolate, just for Kat

-- Q: "Out of all of the badass characters that you've played, which one was the most badass? Which one is one that you - you wouldn't  f**k with?"
KM:
"It depends on what the rules are, because I've - I've been asked this question, like, if your two characters fought, who would win? ... It depends if supernatural abilities are allowed or not. If it's pure fighting skill, I would hazard to say Mia Smoak from Arrow would take everyone down, including Allison Miles from Air Force One Down because - including the marine I played, um, cuz, you know, you can't - you can't beat - that's what I loved about the Green Arrow as a character so much, is because they don't - the Green Arrow doesn't have superpowers. They're just extremely skilled fighters. ... Stephen Amell did such an amazing job playing that character. And then when I had to like come in and kind of take the mantle, as it were, I had a lot to live up to. But they did a great job in writing the character and I - I was so happy that I had trained so much and been able to kind of jump in physically as well."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Brandon Routh receives JDIFF's Creative Visionary Award
Telegraph Herald   Apr 29, 2024

Iowa native Brandon Routh speaks with TH Media about film, family and the future at JDIFF's red carpet event Saturday, April 27, 2024 in Dubuque.

• Useful 1
(edited)

CBS Will Finally Debut Strike-Delayed Shows
By Bill Bradley   May 2, 2024
https://www.adweek.com/convergent-tv/cbs-debut-strike-delayed-shows/ 

Another new show, The Summit, is a fall reality series hosted by Manu Bennett, which follows 16 strangers heading on a journey through New Zealand’s Alps and trying to win $1 million. The series follows Survivor on Wednesdays ahead of The Amazing Race returning in the spring. ....
CBS Fall 2024-25 Schedule
(New programs in ALL CAPS; times are ET)

WEDNESDAY
8 p.m. — Survivor
9:30 p.m. — THE SUMMIT (later changing to the spring edition of The Amazing Race)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Grant Gustin Used to Be the Fastest Man Alive. He’s Finally Learning to Slow Down.
The 34-year-old actor traded his scarlet suit for a Broadway costume. So what’s left to do when your dreams have come true?
BY SEAN ABRAMS : MAY 01, 2024
https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a60652093/grant-gustin-the-flash-water-for-elephants-interview/ 

He was embarrassed of his size, clearly, describing himself as a pretty skinny kid at the start of the series in 2013. (Gustin appeared on two episodes of The CW's Arrow before landing his own spin-off show). That led to production hiring both a trainer and sprint coach—even if you’re not actually breaking the sound barrier, convincing running form is still of the utmost importance—to get him in the best shape possible. Unfortunately, 16-hour work days led to exhaustion, which sent him in the compete opposite direction of what a bulked-up superhero fit for a fitness publication would expectedly look like.

“My ass was just getting kicked," he says regarding his body's Flash-devolution, before later going on to explain why now he feels the confidence he lacked over a decade ago. "I just stopped working out and got thinner and thinner those first five seasons."
MH: When you were cast as The Flash, were there any thoughts of 'I don’t know if I want this to be my legacy?'

GG: It never crossed my mind. I mean, I was 23 when I auditioned for that show and thought I had no chance of getting it. I didn't even want to go to the audition. I was like, 'This is a waste of my time and their time.' In the breakdown it said he was late twenties to early thirties.

He's big and buff and blonde in the comics. I was just like, 'Why are they even seeing me?' I had imposter syndrome about even going to that audition. The idea of 'Do I want this?' never even crossed my mind. That was similar to now doing Water for Elephants—beyond a dream come true. Getting to play a superhero someday wasn't even something I could have dreamed.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

TV Roles Almost Played by Someone Else on Big Bang Theory, Lost, Arrow, One Tree Hill, The O.C., Buffy and More
BY VLADA GELMAN, REBECCA IANNUCCI, MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MAY 5, 2024 
https://tvline.com/lists/tv-actors-almost-played-different-roles/ 

THE AFFAIR
Though Colin Donnell ultimately played Scotty Lockhart in The Affair‘s first two seasons, he initially got close to playing Cole, a role that later went to Joshua Jackson. “Colin actually had come in and auditioned for Cole a bunch of times. But he wasn’t quite right,” series co-creator Sarah Treem revealed in an Instagram story ahead of the series finale. “But I loved him so much as an actor that I actually wrote Scotty for him…. I thought he was so good, and I didn’t want to lose him.”
ARROW
As Anna Hopkins told TVLine in our Memories From the Set feature, she first auditioned to play Arrow‘s Sara Lance. The part went to Caity Lotz, but Hopkins was later brought in to read for the part of a “journalist”… which she eventually learned was code for Samantha Clayton, the mother of Oliver’s secret son William!
DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW
As writer Tyron B. Carter shared on Twitter, the singer Ashanti — whose previous acting credits include Army Wives — auditioned for the role of Amaya aka Vixen, which eventually went to Maisie Richardson-Sellers.
THE FLASH
Although The Flash‘s casting team immediately liked Candice Patton for Iris, “we were too early on in the process to cast her,” casting director David Rapaport told BuzzFeed in 2015. Keke Palmer (Scream Queens) was among the actresses who tested for the role in the meantime, but she “felt a little too young next to Grant [Gustin],” Rapaport said. Later, Patton was brought back in for another chemistry read with Gustin, and “it just made total sense” to cast her as Iris.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Interview with Brandon Routh...

S3E20 On Being Super, Man
The How NOT To Make A Movie Podcast Channel   May 7, 2024

(edited)

FBI: International Gets an Assist From Colin Donnell With Scott ‘Gone Dark’ — Exclusive First Photos
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MAY 9, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/fbi-international-scott-missing-explained-colin-donnell-nsa-agent-photos/ 

In the next episode of CBS‘ FBI: International, the Fly Team — while processing the fact that MIA team leader Scott has “gone dark” — gets an assist from Colin Donnell‘s NSA agent, as seen in TVLine’s first look photos above and below.

As previously reported, Chicago Med and Arrowverse alum Donnell will guest-star in the final two episodes of FBI: International Season 3, which come on the heels of what was original cast member Luke Kleintank’s final appearance, on May 7, as Supervisory Special Agent Scott Forrester.
In the next episode, titled “Gift,” when the owner of a prominent cyber security company is murdered in Copenhagen, mass amounts of data are leaked, sending the NSA to the Fly Team for assistance. Donnell plays Brian Lange, the Bureau’s liaison to the NSA.

Donnell’s guest-starring appearances will air Tuesday, May 14, and in the May 21 season finale. Of note, Teri Polo (NCIS, The Fosters) is also set to also appear in those same two episodes, in a mystery role.

fbi-international-colin-donnell.jpg 
colin-donnell-fbi-international.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)

SQUEEZING THE LEMON
LegalDispatch 0.98

MARC GUGGENHEIM   MAY 10, 2024
https://marcguggenheim.substack.com/p/squeezing-the-lemon 

@UltraSargent writes us from Twitter:

• UltraSargent @UltraSargent   49m 
    @mguggenheim  Hi Marc! Any chance of the deleted scenes from Crisis on Infinite Earths ever being released in high quality?

Seriously though, unlike with LA Law, I wouldn’t rule this one out entirely.

The statute of limitations has sufficiently run to the point where I don’t mind talking about this a little.

First, there weren’t all that many complete scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor. To my recollection, there were mainly two scenes that were excised entirely.

In Hour One, we cut a short scene with Pariah (f/k/a Nash Wells) witnessing the destruction of Argo City.

9dbb61c3-c056-48a1-9220-d79c6f7db44d_187 
The second scene — in Hour Three — was, admittedly, harder to cut. It was a tag at the end of the episode which saw Oliver Queen turning into the Spectre.

00bb269b-2288-4615-8c52-b274c08475e8_197 
Now, this is obviously a critical and important scene. Even more so when you consider that it’s not just the end of Hour Three, but also the end of the first half of Crisis On Infinite Earths (the event would go on a mini-hiatus for the holidays between Hours Three and Four).

Unfortunately, however, the quality of the finished scene as shot was inversely proportional to its importance. In other words, it came out really (in my estimation) poorly and I made the difficult decision to not air a substandard version than to show it.

But now, to @UltraSargent’s question… will we ever release these scenes? The short answer is that it’s entirely up to Warner Bros. The longer answer is… we almost did.

I don’t believe this is publicly known (again, statute of limitations) but we had been working with Warner Bros. to release all five hours of Crisis in movie theaters across the country. The event — arranged through Fathom Events — was going to include special surprises like cast appearances and giveaways and we’d also cut together a few bonuses that would have been screened in-between episodes and, yes, they would have included the deleted scenes — with all the VFX completed, the sound mixed, and the picture color-timed — that I’d mentioned.

At this point, you’re probably wondering why this event didn’t go forward. Well, the answer is that it was scheduled for April 2020.

Covid ruins everything.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

From behind the scenes on the set of Calamity Jane (EBR's movie)...

20 Questions with Stephen Amell | MyTime Movie Network
MyTime Movie Network   May 10, 2024

Behind The Scenes with Tim Rozon | MyTime Movie Network
MyTime Movie Network   May 6, 2024

20 Questions with Tim Rozon | MyTime Movie Network
MyTime Movie Network   Apr 12, 2024

• Useful 1
(edited)

Teaser for Manu Bennett's new reality competition TV series...

THE SUMMIT | Teaser Trailer | Coming CBS Fall
CBS   May 8, 2024

ETA: It's kinda funny that two actors associated with Deathstroke are both hosting reality competition TV series. Joe Manganiello hosts NBC's Deal or No Deal Island. 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Katie Cassidy Hints She’s ‘Open’ to Future Stephen Huszar Engagement After Past Divorce (Exclusive)
By Miranda Siwak  May 11, 2024
https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/katie-cassidy-is-open-to-stephen-huszar-engagement-after-divorce/ 

Katie Cassidy’s 2020 divorce hasn’t soured her from the idea of one day walking down the aisle with boyfriend Stephen Huszar.

“It’s a conversation I’ve had with myself that I don’t think I expected to have with myself,” Cassidy, 37, exclusively told Us Weekly on Friday, May 10, at the Race To Erase MS Gala at Fairmont Century Plaza. “If that tells you anything at all. I think I’m certainly more open to something, whether it be now or in the near future with this person, but I certainly didn’t ever think that I could say that again.”
According to the actress, their relationship is still “doing great.”

“He’s amazing. I’ve never really thought I would date another actor. He’s incredible,” Cassidy gushed to Us. “We’re very happy. It’s been amazing when you meet somebody and it just sort of makes sense. You didn’t ever think it would or weren’t necessarily looking for it and then it sort of happened.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

PENULTIMATE
LegalDispatch 0.99

MARC GUGGENHEIM   MAY 17, 2024
https://marcguggenheim.substack.com/p/penultimate 

Last week, I shared the sad news that we had been working on a theatrical release event for Crisis On Infinite Earths. This week, Cam wrote in to ask:

• Is there a chance you could rearrange the event for later this year or early next year for the crossover's 5-year anniversary?

It’s a great idea, Cam. I’d certainly be game, of course. Unfortunately, I don’t see it as being likely. For one thing, a lot of the Warner Bros. folks who were championing the event have since left the studio. And the current regime appears uninterested in anything that doesn’t relate to the DCU that James Gunn and his team are building. I’m sorry.
Fans of the original Crisis on Infinite Earths know that a lot of the action took place in — and motivated by scenes set in — the Monitor’s orbital satellite. Well, we went down a road with designing our own version. Here are examples of some of the designs worked up for that little endeavor:

59ab628f-b113-41c9-b020-6bd34f280848_145

c872256c-cefc-4c43-b6b7-32809b541264_207

65ee7a76-e4cc-4377-aeb9-3411732872be_269

e1eefdf9-275f-4e64-910f-df9239ef7f74_269

075b1816-adb0-4005-9b7b-c77ce1b6645b_269

I apologize that I’ve long since forgotten the names of the talented artists who worked on these.

But as you know, the Satellite never made it into the finished product. Instead, we gathered the heroes in a parallel universe version of the Legends’ Waverider ship.

But here’s a funny little story about that: While the Satellite was still in play, Netflix got back to us and said that we couldn’t use Lucifer in our event. At the time, Lucifer’s show, uh, Lucifer was on Netflix, so we had to get their permission. After they said no, I got a phone call from an executive who shall remain nameless who told me, “I’m glad Netflix won’t let you use Lucifer. Every one of these cameos diminishes the crossover.”

Suffice it to say, I disagreed.

Cut to a week or so later. Budget realities meant that building an entirely new set — while cool — wasn’t fiscally responsible, particularly when a “free” option was readily available in the form of the Waverider set.

So I killed that satellite and, in so doing, freed up a nice chunk of change. A fraction of which would pay for, say, the services of a certain actor on a certain Netflix show.

Now, to be clear, Netflix’s objection to us using Lucifer had nothing to do with cost. It was a purely creative/IP-management decision on their part. But those kinds of decisions can be, shall we say, changed.

So I called up Channing Dungey who, at the time, was rather high up at Netflix. (Ironically, she’s now head of TV at Warner Bros. today.) Channing and I worked extensively together back when we were both at ABC Studios and I called to ask her for a favor.

And Channing, bless her, delivered.

So, if you enjoyed Lucifer’s appearance on Crisis of Infinite Earths, you have two executives to thank: The exec whose comment, ahem, motivated me and Ms. Dungey. Please give her a round of applause.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Big Slick Celebrity Weekend, May 31-June 1, 2024 (Kansas City, MO)
Katherine McNamara
https://bigslickkc.org/guests-and-alumni/ 

Weird Al, Kat McNamara among new Big Slick KC celebrities announced
By Jonah Kahn   May 17, 2024
https://www.kctv5.com/2024/05/17/new-big-slick-kc-celebrities-announced/ 

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (KCTV) - The countdown is on for the Big Slick KC charity weekend.

The newest celebrities scheduled to come to KC were announced Friday morning by event organizers.

• “Weird Al” Yankovic, musician and comedian
  • Kat McNamara, actress
  • Lo Truglio, actor and comedian
  • Peter Schrager, sports commentator
  • Jonathon Fernandez, TV personality

Kansas City natives Paul Rudd, Rob Riggle, Jason Sudeikis, Eric Stonestreet, Heidi Gardner and David Koechner are hosts for the Big Slick KC 2024.

The weekend begins with a celebrity softball game at Kauffman Stadium on Friday, May 31. Access to the game is included with a regular ticket to the Kansas City Royals game that same day. Tickets are available and can be purchased directly at T-MobileCenter.com or at BigSlickKC.org. Tickets start at $75.

Edited by tv echo

From GalaxyCon Oklahoma City yesterday (May 25) - I have not watched this video...

John Barrowman's Hilarious Q&A Panel at Galaxycon Oklahoma is a MUST WATCH
Tales From The Collection: Autographs & Fan Mail   posted May 26, 2024

(edited)

10 Most Iconic The CW Shows of All Time, Ranked
BY ANDREA SANDOVAL   PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
https://www.cbr.com/most-iconic-cw-shows-all-time/ 

7  Arrow's Outstanding Success Gave Rise to the Arrowverse
Arrow was the first of a new generation of DC Comics TV series airing on The CW. While Smallville featured a Green Arrow character, Arrow starts with a clean slate and casts Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen. The billionaire turned vigilante has to face many iconic villains from the comics, such as Damien Darkh, Deathstroke, and Malcolm Merlyn.

Arrow was a total success, and it aired for eight seasons from 2012 to 2020. The series inspired many other spin-offs based in the same universe, which eventually was called the Arrowverse. The Flash, Supergirl, Batwoman, Black Lightning, and DC's Legends of Tomorrow all come from this one show. What made the Arrowverse such a hit was that it created a fresh approach to already well-known and beloved characters. What's more, it's the first TV series to create a shared universe, often releasing thrilling crossovers that would hype the fans.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Recorded at GalaxyCon Oklahoma City on May 25...

Stephen Amell Arrowverse Q&A Panel at Galaxycon Oklahoma
Tales From The Collection: Autographs & Fan Mail   posted May 28, 2024

-- When asked about the difference between training for Arrow and Heels, SA said that training for Arrow was to get in shape for a poster, while training for Heels was to get in shape for wrestling in the ring. He then added that training for Arrow was for shooting the fight scenes.

-- SA said that it was "incredibly hot" in the Arrow suit.

-- When asked for his favorite actor to work with ever on Arrow, SA picked David Ramsey.

-- When asked what storylines he would've liked to have seen explored if there had been a Season 9 of Arrow, SA: "Well - spoiler - I would have been resurrected from the dead... Oh, gosh, I don't know. Um. I mean, selfishly, just hanging out at the Queen Mansion, like 14 years earlier, doing stupid shit with Tommy... What would you like?"
Fan: "I would have liked to see what happened to William in the future."
SA: "What do you think happened to him?"
Fan: "I don't know who he was kidnapped by, so... yeah. I don't know."
SA: "Okay. So, in the future, it would be Oliver, uh, officiating he and his husband's wedding. What about that?"
Fan: "I love that."
SA: "I like that, too."

-- SA: "Being on Arrow taught me how to be a leader and taught me how to, uh, I hope, be, uh, a good dad and a better husband. And, um, going into my new jobs and my jobs since then, I've tried to take that forward. But, um, when you're on a show like that, people look to you. And I was young and I didn't know. And so I led with, like, my voice and like 'bah, bah, bah.' And now on, uh, subsequent opportunities, I lead with my actions and my words and the way that I carry myself. So I think that, uh, it, uh, taught me to be a leader."

-- When asked for the most memorable triumph or mishap that happened on the Arrow set while shooting, SA: "Well, the biggest non-mishap was during the pilot where I was actually aiming an arrow at somebody and I turn to someone and I go, 'This is not going to end well.' ... Like, you can put a something on the end of the arrow. It doesn't matter. Like, if - if I'm aiming to the left, like, it could go bad. Um, so we ended up, uh, averting that mishap and, uh, changing the - well, then it became CGI. ... Oh, man, the biggest triumph? ... The biggest triumph was the last 10 episodes of Season 8 and see that 80% of the crew that was there in 2012 was there on the last day for the last scene on Season 8, and the only reason that it wasn't 100% was because 20% of the people had gotten better jobs on other DC shows that Arrow helped create. That was the biggest triumph."

-- Fan: "I dressed up as Felicity. My name's Emily, so it kind of made sense."
SA: "It does make sense. You look fantastic."

-- When asked about his personal relationship with Grant Gustin, SA: "So after the first season of Arrow, um, a bunch of people called me in. And they're like, we want to create the Justice League on TV. And I went, that sounds great, guys. I don't know what that means, but go on. And they said that the first character that we're going to introduce is going to be Barry Allen. That's amazing. And then smash cut to like three, four months later, we're doing a table read for episode 208 of Arrow. And Grant Gustin just (Makes clicking noise) shows up. He's got all the lines in this table read around a bunch of actors that are jealous - not me - but a bunch of others. And me. And he just comes in and he just nails it. And from then on, I was like, oh, man. The very first scene that I shot with Grant was a different moment for my character, was so happy about that. He just came in and he's so cool. And he's leading a Broadway play right now... He's a 'G' period. Not just Grant, a 'G.' Is that good enough?"
Fan: "That works."

-- When asked if he would return as the Green Arrow if asked by James Gunn, SA: "Yeah, probably. But I'm busy, man... I'm about to be real busy. ... I also wouldn't mind seeing someone else just pop up as Green Arrow. ... Listen, a bunch of people in this crowd were like, never if it's not Justin Hartley... Just chill out. It's fine."

-- When asked which version of the Arrow costume was his favorite, SA: "Season 3... Just not Season 4."

-- When asked for his favorite episode of Arrow or Flash that he was in, SA: "The first episode of Arrow because, man, oh, man, when you have to put that superhero suit on for the first time, you might look stupid. And the first episode of The Flash because if Oliver didn't show up, then Barry would just be called - I don't know, that red thing. But Oliver was like, no. You go through your city, save people, in a flash."

-- SA said that his favorite crossover was when he and Grant Gustin got to swap bodies and he got to wear the Flash suit and "just be Barry."

-- SA said that his favorite thing about the crossovers was The Flash's catering because it was so much better than Arrow's catering.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

ONE-HUNDRED
LegalDispatch 100

MARC GUGGENHEIM   MAY 31, 2024
https://marcguggenheim.substack.com/p/one-hundred 

Over on Twitter (no, I will not call it ‘X’), @FinerPointsGeek asked:
4784f02d-fb48-46a9-b418-a77f0cc70387_120
But to answer your question, the two roles that first spring to mind are that of Dinah Drake (Arrow) and Zari Tarazi (Legends of Tomorrow), albeit for different reasons.

The casting process for Dinah Drake actually went down to the wire. It took us forever to find an actress we were happy with, but once we cast her, the network said that “we could do better.” Personally, I wasn’t so sure. Not with the very small amount of time we had remaining until production. But then Juliana Harkavy became available at the literal last minute, came in, and blew us all away.
Thanks for the great question. I hope I answered it to your satisfaction. For fun, here are the costume designs for both characters
e410a01d-5671-4372-a2de-6156d8210def_330

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Brandon Routh, Mena Suvari & Cheech Marin Join Jonathan Baker’s ‘Fate The Movie’
By Matt Grobar   May 13, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/05/fate-the-movie-adds-brandon-routh-mena-suvari-cheech-marin-1235914132/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Brandon Routh (Superman Returns), Mena Suvari (Grace and Grit) and Cheech Marin (Cheech & Chong) have joined the cast of Fate The Movie, a suspenseful romance that’s being sold at Cannes this week by Highland Film Group.

As previously announced, Faye Dunaway, Harvey Keitel and Andrew McCarthy will also star. Currently shooting in Vancouver, the film’s logline is as follows: It takes a minute to find a special person and an entire lifetime to forget them. While healing at a rehabilitation center after a rescue mission gone wrong, a firefighter Sam Ellis (Routh) connects with Tilly, a stranger from the past. Subsequently, he’s transported through time to find the only thing that can save his soul: his realization of true love.

Jonathan Baker is directing from his own script, also producing for Baker Entertainment Group. Sienna Soho Baker and James Van Patten round out the cast.

Edited by tv echo

Still on the list...

Pet Peeves and Tired Tropes: 30+ Things TV Needs to Stop Doing Immediately!
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   JUNE 7, 2024 
https://tvline.com/lists/tv-pet-peeves-tropes/the-non-existent-text-history/ 

TALK NERDY TO ME
Asking the jargon-spewing tech whiz to “put it in English” — because he/she simply hasn’t learned to speak more plainly, even after years of working with you/fielding your inevitable, glazed-eye follow-up question. (As noted here, Arrow once did it three times in a single episode.) Related: “Bitcoin? Ugh, explain this crypto stuff to me!”

Wow...

TVLine Items: Grant Gustin at Tonys, So Help Me Todd Vet Joins Watson and More
BY VLADA GELMAN   JUNE 6, 2024 
https://tvline.com/news/tony-awards-2024-grant-gustin-water-for-elephants-performance-1235254809/ 

Grant Gustin and an acrobatic cast are swinging into the Tony Awards to perform a number from the nominated Broadway musical Water for Elephants.
The 77th Annual Tony Awards, hosted by Ariana DeBose, will air live on Sunday, June 16 at 8 pm ET/5 pm PT on CBS and stream on Paramount+.

(edited)

From the "Behind the Scenes of WB's Arrow with Marc Guggenheim" video interview below...

-- MG: "We didn't get it right out of the gate. It took a lot of trial and error. And it was exhausting, um, because we did 23 episodes that first season. When you're, you know, practically re-shooting half of those episodes, um, that means, if you're re-shooting, it means you're re-writing... It really was physically exhausting... We were constantly trying to find the show. In fact, you know, I think, if you look at Season 1, I - I look at Season 1 as like, oh, I can tell you, this is the episode we figured out this - this is the episode we figured out that. Like, there's episodes where the show in the first season takes these big developmental steps forward that were like - were pretty major for us, um, and, yeah, I think if - if people sort of knew just how much learning on the job we were doing, they - they'd be horrified."

-- When asked for the biggest 'a-ha' moment from Season 1, MG: "I can't pick one. I can list them. So - so first of all, Felicity was a big 'a-ha' moment... And really out of - wrought out of desperation because the thing about Greg and I - and Andrew Kreisberg, who was also involved - is we are all very banter-y. You know, like, we write romantic comedies basically. Like, that's our voice, uh, collectively. Arrow is not that at all. In fact, I said to Greg very early on in the first season - I said, we've created a show that we don't know how to write. You know, Felicity was just really this breath of fresh air. It's like, finally, there's one character who we can write. There's one character who - who speaks with the voice that we have as writers... well, who also, by the way, lightens everything... You need a comic relief character if you're gonna have all this darkness. And originally that comic relief character was supposed to be Tommy... In the process of casting and putting things on its feet, like, it just - Tommy - even Tommy became sort of dark and - and sort of tortured. So we just needed that comic relief character... Part of it was a release - a safety release valve for us - of just, oh, finally, a character we can write. And then the other part of it was, like, recognizing that we need a - we need another color - you know, a brighter color in this palette, uh, so it's not so unrelenting. Uh, you know, another 'a-ha' moment was like episode 5, which was the episode where we introduced sort of, you know, who I call Proto Deathstroke. He's got, you know, the guy with the Deathstroke mask and everything. And the, uh, the - the 'a-ha' moment there was figuring out how much story we could tell in the flashbacks, um, and how the flashbacks could work. ... Episode 9. Big 'a-ha' moment there was we managed to shoot an episode without - without reshoots. Yay on us! ... Episode 11 ... To me, episode 11 was like just the first episode that, like, where everything just sort of came together. ...Even going back to, like, Episode 2... David Barrett directed that episode. He also directed the first season finale... The 'a-ha' moment there was - you know, David Nutter had set the bar so high in terms of production. In fact, after we did the pilot and before we got picked up to series, the studio called us in and was like, how are you going to do this every week, on a network schedule and a network budget? ... David had set the bar so high and - and we kind of said some version of, well, we're not sure, but we'll figure it out... And David, uh, Barrett was so critical in helping us figure it out. In fact, now I think, if you - if you look back - even if you look - if you compare the season finale of Season 1 to the pilot, I think the pilot looks small, um, you know, because we kept pushing the production envelope throughout the first season. So like Episode 11 with like this parkour sequence was a good example of like, okay, we're pushing the envelope. So again, it's like we're figuring out character stuff, we're figuring tone stuff, we're figuring out the flashbacks, figuring out how to produce all the action. You know, it - it was a lot. Like, it wasn't one steep learning curve. It was, you know, 10 steep learning curves... I'm exhausted just thinking about it."

Behind the Scenes of WB's Arrow with Marc Guggenheim
The Successful Screenwriter   Jun 11, 2024

00:00 - Introduction and Welcome
00:10 - Marc Guggenheim's Legendary Career
00:21 - Crafting Arrow: From Concept to Pilot
01:01 - The Role of David Nutter in Arrow's Success
05:37 - Challenges and Triumphs in Producing Arrow
10:17 - Evolution of Arrow's Story and Characters

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

EBR French film, Autumn and the Black Jaguar, is coming to US theaters later this year...

Blue Fox Entertainment Acquires Family-Friendly Adventure Film ‘Autumn And The Black Jaguar’ From Studiocanal 
By Valerie Complex   June 11, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/06/autumn-and-the-black-jaguar-blue-fox-entertainment-studiocanal-1235969520/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Blue Fox Entertainment has acquired Autumn and the Black Jaguar from Studiocanal. Blue Fox will release the family-friendly adventure film in theaters nationwide later this year.

Directed by Gilles de Maistre (Mia and the White Lion), the film stars Lumi Pollack (The Fallout), Emily Bett Rickards (The CW’s Arrow), and Paul Greene (Somewhere), with Wayne Charles Baker (Indian Horse), Kelly Hope Taylor (Good Sam), and newcomers Lucrezia Pini and Airam Camacho rounding out the cast.

Growing up in the Amazon rainforest gave Autumn the rarest of friendships – a lost jaguar cub she names Hope. When a tragic event forces Autumn to leave Hope for the unknowns of New York City, she dreams for years of going back to the rainforest and her friend. At 14 and having grown accustomed to city life, Autumn discovers her childhood village is under threat from animal traffickers and decides she must return to the Amazon to her beloved jaguar. Anja (Emily Bett Rickards) – Autumn’s endearingly clumsy biology teacher – unsuccessfully tries to dissuade her from this reckless plan. Joined by Anja, Autumn embarks on a journey to reunite with Hope and save her from those who seek to destroy the rainforest and its wildlife.
Said Chloé Marquet, Head of International Sales for Films & TV Series: “We are thrilled to collaborate with Blue Fox on a Gilles de Maistre movie once again and following their fantastic work on The Wolf and the Lion release campaign in the US. It’s a great partnership that we greatly value and one which helps build a brand around Gilles’ and his beloved movies. After the amazing success of Autumn and the Black Jaguar in Europe we look forward to US audiences discovering the film in theaters.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

'Yoga Teacher Killer: The Kaitlin Armstrong Story’: Caity Lotz & Kyle Schmid on Working Together, Arrowverse & More
Scott Fishman   June 13, 2024
https://www.tvinsider.com/1138481/yoga-teacher-killer-kaitlin-armstrong-caity-lotz-kyle-schmid/ 

Caity, so many people know you for the Arroverse. How was it showing a different side of yourself beyond Sara Lance? 

Caity: It was weird because we shot in Vancouver, which was where we shot the whole Arrowverse. It was like coming back to that. It was awesome, but the character is so different. I’m so used to playing these strong badass females. Katilin is kind of the opposite of that. She does not have a lot of strength, even though she killed someone in cold blood. There is nothing really strong about it. It was interesting to play a character that wasn’t in control. I didn’t know what to do and was more emotionally unstable. It’s fun to do something different.

You were part of most Arrowverse shows. Now The CW seems to be moving away from superhero-based programming. Does it bring a renewed appreciation that you were part of something that simply doesn’t exist anymore? 

Caity: Definitely! You know while you’re in it and doing episode after episode, you get tired. It’s easy to take this for granted. Now that it’s gone, it’s like, “Aw, this was such a magic time we had.” I feel nostalgic for it and recognize it. At the time, when you did so many seasons and episodes and shows for so long, it was different. I understand now how rare that is to have that longevity and lifespan. I definitely appreciate what I was able to do and look back on it fondly.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1