Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Meredith Grey: The Sun

• Start Topic

(edited)

Happiness doesn't always have to equal "in a relationship".  Yes, even for a soapy nighttime drama. Besides, is Meredith ever going to be truly happy with the love of her life and father of her children dead? No. But I think as of now, even without someone to sex her up, she's pretty happy. If nothing else, her children bring her that happiness.  I actually hope that when the time comes for the series to end, Meredith is with her children and maybe Cristina somewhere. She had that great love, we got to see that play out for over a decade. She doesn't need a man to make her happy (no woman does, really). 

But it's just as well, her and Nathan are going to get together only for Megan to randomly reappear at some point. And the series will recycle the whole Meredith/Derek/Addison thing, only it will be far less interesting. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Happiness doesn't always have to equal "in a relationship".  Yes, even for a soapy nighttime drama. Besides, is Meredith ever going to be truly happy with the love of her life and father of her children dead? No. But I think as of now, even without someone to sex her up, she's pretty happy. If nothing else, her children bring her that happiness.  

But it's just as well, her and Nathan are going to get together only for Megan to randomly reappear at some point. And the series will recycle the whole Meredith/Derek/Addison thing, only it will be far less interesting. 

Agreed. There are many people who live happier lives without a "significant other".

Although it's lame to say this: for some people there is only one true love. Meredith is like that. Her true love is gone forever and can't be replaced.

If they try to 'lather, rinse, repeat' the whole Meredith/Derek/Addison thing using Nathan, I'll be mad. That would not only be a cheap plot twist, it would be inconsistent with Meredith's character.

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 2
(edited)

I didn't mean to imply that she couldn't be happy without a man, but I also don't think there's anything wrong with her getting some companionship - and lots of sex - from Riggs. Your sex life doesn't have to die with your soulmate, especially when you're as young as Meredith is. Also, Grey's isn't real life (it doesn't even really resemble it, at this point), it's a nighttime soap and she's the star. Perhaps she doesn't need a boyfriend, but they need to give Meredith something to do and we all know these writers aren't super creative. Derek died at least two years ago at this point, so it's well established that Meredith is fine alone. I'm glad they didn't rush to pair her with anyone right away, but I like the chemistry between her and Riggs and I'd love to see them explore it more. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 1

I know plenty of people who have sex all the time and they aren't happy people.  Just like I wasn't any happier or less when I was single and not getting any.  I never understood that argument.  I've know people to sleep with several men a month and feel depressed about  it. 

• Love 4

Bringing this over from the April Kepner thread:

Think about it, what makes Meredith better or more qualified than her professionally? April has gotten zero breaks in her career unlike Meredith, little to no mentorship or guidence unlike Meredith, and did the same job just as well. 

I have always thought that Meredith's professional abilities have been greatly exaggerated.  She was always the inferior next to Cristina and, skill-wise, she's inferior next to Maggie.  As much as they deny it, Meredith did get opportunities not provided to other interns/residents/whatever because of her relationship with Derek and the fact that she is the daughter of Ellis Grey.  She broke the law and sabotaged Derek's research, her own research never went anywhere, and she's one of three general surgeons--the other 2 are both more experience and more capable than she.

Meredith has been graced with this belief (maybe more on the part of others than on her own) that she is the heir to the magic powers of Ellis Grey and that is..not true.  She has never really shown anything special and I don't think surgical ability is something that is in your DNA--and, if it was, it looks like it was the child prodigy Maggie who received it and not Meredith.  I really feel that if the show wanted to give Meredith (and Maggie) something meaty, they would have them explore the "legacy" of Ellis Grey and how it affects both of them.  But, I'm sure they'll just forget that and get both women back to bed hopping as soon as possible.

What does Meredith have?  Derek (and Lexi's?) shares of the hospital and her name on the sign...except that name is there for Lexi, not her.

• Love 4

This is what makes me dislike Meredith at times. She doesn't want to be known as Ellis Grey's daughter (like when she didn't want to declare General Surgery as her specialty), but she's not afraid to name drop when it suits her advantage. There's a sense of entitlement where she feels like she should be #1 and if someone gets something that she feels like she deserves (i.e., April filling in for her when she got herself suspended), they're automatically the bad guy. 

I'm wondering how the whole Megan thing will end up as the season progresses. Will she be all "How dare she turn up alive. I was supposed to get my happy ending with Riggs and she's ruining it". 

• Love 2

Megan's appearance is an interesting unknown that is bound to have an impact on a lot of characters and their interactions with each other.  With regards to Meredith, I wonder if she will continue her friendship with Riggs as a sounding board and source of emotional support for him, or if she will feel like she needs to keep her distance either for the sake of his relationship with Megan, or for her own sake.

Younger love seems more intense and dramatic, older love seems more pragmatic, usually.  So, I feel that her emotions and the way she processes them will be different than before.