Type keyword(s) to search

The King of Staten Island (2020)

Avabelle
  • Start Topic

I’ve seen all of Judd Apatow’s movies, so he’s obviously doing something right, but my god does he need a better editor. The pacing for his movies is always way off, and this film was no exception. I thought the last act was pretty good, but at that point we were so drained by the first hour+ that we almost bailed. I probably would have cut the Kelsey storyline, as she didn’t serve much of a purpose, and the British actress obviously based her performance off some episodes she’d watched of the Jersey Shore.

I’ve been a fan of Pete Davidson since his first segment on Weekend Update, and I thought he carried the film well. I’m sure writing the script was difficult for him, given the material, and I’m glad he got the opportunity to make it. 

• Love 1

This movie was better than I thought it would be, but I didn't find it to be overly special--not a movie I've thought about after we turned it off. Davidson was good but I'm pretty sure just played himself...not sure how much real acting was involved. Thought the best performance was from the stepfather.

• Love 1
On 6/5/2021 at 7:48 PM, absnow54 said:

I’ve seen all of Judd Apatow’s movies, so he’s obviously doing something right, but my god does he need a better editor. The pacing for his movies is always way off, and this film was no exception. I thought the last act was pretty good, but at that point we were so drained by the first hour+ that we almost bailed. I probably would have cut the Kelsey storyline, as she didn’t serve much of a purpose, and the British actress obviously based her performance off some episodes she’d watched of the Jersey Shore.

I’ve been a fan of Pete Davidson since his first segment on Weekend Update, and I thought he carried the film well. I’m sure writing the script was difficult for him, given the material, and I’m glad he got the opportunity to make it. 

I agree about the pacing. It was really off. 

We didn’t need some of the Kelsey scenes like the restaurant date incident but I thought she was important to show his own lack of maturity toward maintaining personal relationships and the sex issues his medication causes. Can I find a person to love who can tolerate all of this? Can I be vulnerable enough to maintain this? 
I loved the film despite the off pacing and some scenes that felt like they should’ve just been a DVD extra. I hope to see some of these characters in a film again. 

Just caught this on netflix and really enjoyed it.   It's a charmingly sweet character-driven movie that you just kind of settle into.  I ended up loving all of the characters and was sad when it was finished which says a lot for a movie that was 2+ hours long.  I wish there was still value in making movies like this because they don't come around often enough anymore.