Type keyword(s) to search

S02E06: Don't go saying last words

• Start Topic

With Anton on the lam, Kelvin struggles to lead the Braxton Boys and Jackie homes in on Grace; sidelined from the investigation, Decourcy finds himself at a disconnect with Siobhan, as he seeks vengeance and she focuses on recovery.

So in the previous episode, Anton tells Grace that he's good at being a thug.

Then this episode happens.  He's been hiding out from cops but his crew gets shot up and Kelvin barely escapes with his life.  Anton is coming out of hiding to kill the rival gang and then he's fishing out money out of all the gang members he's killed but one is still alive and shoots Kelvin.

Guess Anton isn't the great gangster he thinks he is.

Anton calls Grace, who rushes over to pick up a bleeding Kelvin, driving like a madwoman through red lights.

Grace is still sticking to her made-up alibi, while her son goes around dropping more bodies and getting her younger son nearly killed -- we will see if Kelvin makes it.

Jackie threatens to get Grace into trouble for stealing the money.  How long would it take to get bank records, Grace should have been arrested for embezzlement.

Decourcy is taken off the case and pouts.

Jenny's friend Maeve gets assaulted right in front of her eyes.  Maeve says she was IRA and wouldn't kill so the IRA are after her, says she needs money to go into hiding.  Maeve meanwhile apparently banged the hot young priest that Jenny had the hots for.

Jenny's going to find this all out after she gives him the money.

Jackie is an asshole but his family is creating problems that he has to deal with.

I thought this was another very good episode.  I like that there are several interesting storylines with the main one being with Jackie and Dee.

I don't know if Kelvin will survive the shooting but one would think this would be the last straw with Grace and Anton.  Anton is doing everything he can to destroy what she has worked so hard to build.  Friggin' kids...

I like that they have gone deeper into Jackie's past to give us some sense as to why he is such a jerk.  My vote is low self-esteem created by his parents.  Friggin' parents...

Cathy Ryan may have some undesirable traits but she is dealing with a very bad situation created by her now dead husband.  I hope she can find her way out of this for her kids' sake.

• Love 2

This was a pretty good episode, I think the season is finally finding its footing. It helps that Decourcy and Jackie are working together again, and their snark is always a highlight. Much better then their mutual hate on and petty one upping. 

I guessed that Maeve was IRA, I was just waiting to find out if she is there for IRA purposes or that she tried to leave and is hiding out. Will this actually connect with the main story? Having the IEA running around seems like something that could end up throwing the main story for a loop. 

I hope that Kelvin is alright, unlike Anton he seems like a basically good kid in way over his head. Will this finally be the last straw for Grace, or is she going to just dig in deeper to help her "innocent boy" even as he continues to murder and wreck havoc all over the neighborhood she has tried to save? Lying to cover for Anton's attempting murder, stealing from her own organization, she is crossing lines left and right. 

• Love 1

Cathy Ryan loses her own hair salon and her alternative is slinging drugs?

Why not get some kind of welfare?  Food stamps at least for the kids?

Why not go work for another place?  Even a minimum wage job at Supercuts with tips?

Does she have a steep mortgage or something?

Why not move in with parents at least temporarily?  Or aunts and uncles.  I thought the Ryans was a large extended family.

Maybe the point is, she's a criminal, participated in her husband's schemes and isn't interested in any other way.  I guess they're trying to show how glamorized crime is in Southie?  

Or they're trying to force her arc together with the Braxton arc -- Grace, Anton, Decourcy, Siobhan, etc.  I don't know how likely Charlestown people were to mix with black people in the projects, though Cathy is only looking for supply.

3 hours ago, aghst said:

Cathy Ryan loses her own hair salon and her alternative is slinging drugs?

Why not get some kind of welfare?  Food stamps at least for the kids?

Why not go work for another place?  Even a minimum wage job at Supercuts with tips?

Does she have a steep mortgage or something?

Why not move in with parents at least temporarily?  Or aunts and uncles.  I thought the Ryans was a large extended family.

Maybe the point is, she's a criminal, participated in her husband's schemes and isn't interested in any other way.  I guess they're trying to show how glamorized crime is in Southie?  

Or they're trying to force her arc together with the Braxton arc -- Grace, Anton, Decourcy, Siobhan, etc.  I don't know how likely Charlestown people were to mix with black people in the projects, though Cathy is only looking for supply.

It seems as though she (and her business) are ostracized given what went down with her husband.  So, while some form of welfare may be possible, getting a job in that town is probably not.  She had a legitimate business and tried to make a go of it after her husband was arrested but customers weren’t showing up.  There is nothing she can do about that.

(edited)

In Living Color shout out. Nice. With a Dunkin Donuts cup. 

I didn't realize Anton shot from the drivers side *and* completely missed? How is her right arm in a cast? That's some JFK magic bullet shot. 

8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I think the season is finally finding its footing. It helps that Decourcy and Jackie are working together again, and their snark is always a highlight. Much better then their mutual hate on and petty one upping.

I think they took a little too long to get there, but clearly this is the strength of the show. 

I liked that they copped to Decourcy v Sib not being a good idea, and having him on her shooting case is patently ridiculous. His tall cop friend at least felt bad. 

4 hours ago, Dminches said:

So, while some form of welfare may be possible, getting a job in that town is probably not.

Maybe, maybe not. I can buy people not coming to the shop. Could she find a job in a shop far enough away? It's a big enough city. I think so. She's trash though. I don't get this plot though. She's totally separate from the rest of the show. Not sympathetic at all. I mean, she wouldn't have the dead bro in law if she didn't literally kill him. 

I still don't get how she's selling the drugs. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
(edited)

Wow I didn't expect Sib's mom to totally roll on Grace with the $2500 question. 

Another great Jackie kitchen monologue. 

I liked that Jackie is actually being shown to be good at his job in making the leap about Grace and the bail. And getting a legal subpoena! 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I hope that Kelvin is alright, unlike Anton he seems like a basically good kid in way over his head.

I think he's bore the brunt of her hubris the most. Tragedy should dictate he does, but the shot to the gut is the tv drama shot. 

Great song to end on. 

• Love 1

Another good episode.  I'm just glad we've got Ward and Rohr back together and bromancing like only they can.  The rest is just icing, but storylines are moving along, sometimes predictably and sometimes not.  That helps keep things interesting.

3 hours ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

Is Frankie really dead?

Or

Just dead to Cathy mentally?

I thought it was the latter but in the latest episode it seems her daughter found the death certificate she'd tucked away in her closet, along with the heroin. I couldn't see it well, but I think it said something about a head injury.  

I honestly don't know what is going on with the Cathy plot since it's so segregated from the rest of the show except where she's getting supply. However, when she was hiding the smack in the bathroom and the daughter startled her, the daughter asked, 'when are we seeing dad again', and she said 'we're not.' 

But again, I'm not sure how she's selling in the first place. They implied she was selling it in the prison, but if Frankie is gone, who's the hook up? They're not showing her selling on the street or what. 

She was out on the streets, selling to Jimmy's former customers, one who thought she was a hooker.

But the Braxton Boys and the Copeland Crew shot each other up.

So her supply is now gone.

3 hours ago, akr said:

I thought it was the latter but in the latest episode it seems her daughter found the death certificate she'd tucked away in her closet, along with the heroin. I couldn't see it well, but I think it said something about a head injury.  

That's too bad.

Would've been nice to occasionally see Jonathan Tucker.