Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E15: Waiting

• Start Topic

On 4/29/2021 at 3:18 PM, ForReal said:
On 4/28/2021 at 1:48 AM, bros402 said:

Thoughts:
1. Why didn't that mom have her insurance card on her?

I wondered that too and thought that she rushed into the hospital without her purse. I didn't see purses near either mom that I can recall.

I was thinking that if you were going to a crowded political rally, you might leave your purse in the car and just take your keys.  That's what I would do.

• Love 4

I don't bring my purse to most places I go to these days. Learned to minimize after the pandemic--all I bring in is my keys and cell phone, which has a place for credit cards. And my mask, of course. 

• Love 2
On 4/28/2021 at 7:01 PM, Granny58 said:

When I was a teen (1000 years ago) the popular saying was "I don't agree with what you say but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it."  

It comes from a 1906 book by Evelyn Beatrice Hall who wrote in her book The Friends of Voltaire, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" to describe Voltaire's beliefs although it is usually misattributed to Voltaire himself. I've used it several times myself.

On 4/28/2021 at 10:13 AM, BookThief said:

I agree the time and place was wrong, but I don't blame Claire for feeling how she does, and the paradox of tolerance is in play here. Being tolerant of intolerance is not good for society. Some things you just can't reach across the aisle on. The NRA thing was weird too. You can be a gun owner/supporter and not support the NRA. They do not go hand in hand. That felt a little odd and preachy just to make a point, though I guess a lot of the episode felt that way for me, and none if it had any real teeth so the whole thing kind of fell flat.

Karl Popper's paradox of intolerance, that unlimited tolerance of intolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance and therefore we must counter intolerance by good arguments. There's a great gif explaining it that unfortunately does not come up here.

However, Claire was not intolerant of Asher, in fact at the end of the episode she invited Asher out to eat to talk about things. Maybe she was shocked, as I was, that Asher based such an important decision on a single policy that personally affected him instead of looking at the other policies of the candidate and how they may affect others.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Way late to the party here

On 4/28/2021 at 11:47 PM, KaveDweller said:

However, Asher is not a white supremacist.

Maybe not. But the character did admit to voting for one-or at least someone who started a campaign based on intolerance and then refused to denounce them as the most powerful man in the world. 

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time".  Maya Angelou

• Love 3