Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: No Mourners

• Start Topic

On 5/15/2021 at 5:38 AM, paramitch said:

I kept wishing the writing was as good as the production values. It's such a shame -- the sets, costumes, worldbuilding were all gorgeous, as were the actors, but half the time I didn't know where people are, what they wanted, why they were so angry, or why I should care. And that's not because it's YA. It's simply bad writing.

Just quoting this to say, "Ditto."  I really WANT to like this show but I found it all so hard to follow that it just frustrated me.  Maybe it will all sink in better if I do a re-watch right before the next season starts.  Or maybe they should have stolen the Game of Thrones tactic of showing a map at the beginning of each episode or maybe an opening text crawl (like Star Wars) or an opening voiceover (like Highlander).  Just throw me a rope show-runners!

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2
On 8/1/2021 at 2:13 PM, Quark said:

The woman playing The Darkling's Mum was also very good, would have liked to have seen more of her.

That is the fabulous Zoe Wanamaker you speak of, who I first noticed back in 1991 when she was AMAZING in the very first "Prime Suspect" (the show that also introduced me to the fabulous Helen Mirren.)  This show is not short on talent.  The cast is really terrific.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 4
On 10/16/2021 at 10:45 PM, WatchrTina said:

Just quoting this to say, "Ditto."  I really WANT to like this show but I found it all so hard to follow that it just frustrated me.  Maybe it will all sink in better if I do a re-watch right before the next season starts.  Or maybe they should have stolen the Game of Thrones tactic of showing a map at the beginning of each episode or maybe an opening text crawl (like Star Wars) or an opening voiceover (like Highlander).  Just throw me a rope show-runners!

A big "Yes" to a map! I realize I can look one up online, but I shouldn't have to. 😠 The lack of geographic explanation drives me crazy with this show. (Also, The Witcher. There, it's bad enough that we're asking "When are we?" A map would at least answer, "Where are we?")

• Love 1

I finally watched this. It was a fun watch. Unfortunately the worse characters for me are Mal and Alina. They are so boring. The epic love between them is crap lol.  Damn did they love showing them as kids in the meadow. They beat you over the head with them being soul mates. I didn't buy it or feel it. Alina was a drop better when she was away from him but ehh. I don't think I can take another season of those two.  Alina had no trouble kissing the Darkling but she can't make a move on Mal lol. 

The other characters were fun though. Kaz, Jasper, and Inej are a fun group and them having adventures in the future is something I can watch. In fact Kaz telling Inej he needed her was sweet and got the point across.  Take a lesson Mal and Alina.  

Nina was great and I look forward to more of her and Matthias. They had nice chemistry. The scene where she was joking that maybe she was a seductress and they were laughing was cute. He didn't know what waffles were lol. They made a trope work. 

The Darkling /Aleksander was great because Ben Barnes has this kind of role nailed down. He can do this in sleep. I would not say I'm shipping him and Alina because frankly she is a bore but they did have chemistry and the scenes with just the two of them were good. I knew he wasn't dead and look forward to more of him next season. I liked the ending with the all the characters being on the boat. 

• Love 6