Type keyword(s) to search

Anticipation for Mr. & Mrs. Smith: Better Than Brangelina?

• Start Topic

On 4/20/2021 at 2:00 PM, Crashcourse said:

Is this a new show, or the 1996 tv show with Scott Bakula and Maria Bello?  

This is a new show starring Donald Glover and Phoebe Waller-Bridge.  I'd clarify the forum title with a date but I don't think we quite have a year when this will definitely debut.  So when that happens....

• Useful 2
On 4/20/2021 at 12:00 PM, Crashcourse said:

It's loosely based on the 2005 Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie movie: suburban couple are secretly glamourous spies. But the current description of the show sounds like it diverges significantly from the movie:

Two strangers land jobs with a spy agency that offers them a life of espionage, wealth, and travel. The catch: new identities in an arranged marriage.

whereas in the movie (spoilers for the movie, I guess?)

Spoiler

the two are secretly glamourous spies but don't know each other is also a spy and more importantly, turn out to be working for opposing (unnamed) organizations, who consider the marriage, once revealed to them, to be a dealbreaker and want them to kill each other.

It's probably fine; the movie premise might not have sustained an ongoing show.

• Like 1
On 9/6/2021 at 9:52 AM, Door County Cherry said:

Well Phoebe Waller-Bridge has exited this show.  Now I'm far less interested in this.  I don't mind them recasting the lead but when it comes to writing, I loved Fleabag while I've only ever been able to appreciate Atlanta even though I wanted to love it more than I did. 

Is this Glover's first TV project since Atlanta?

Didn't realize PWB was going to be the main creative force for this series.

Wonder if Glover will continue to delve into issues involving black people as he did in Atlanta.

Maybe for POC in general given his new co-lead.

Never saw the movie, interested in the show because of Glover.

No. this series SUCKS. They are total idiots. I've never seen such incompetence and cluelessness. Whoever greenlit this show and the writing should be promptly blacklisted from hollywood for this crap series.

On 4/20/2021 at 12:00 PM, Crashcourse said:

I can't remember the show but by reading the description it was the TV show with the killing from the movie 

The show seemed to make a big splash for a good month and then slipped into the ether. 
I hope its numbers were good enough to warrant a second season. It was some of the most earnest, intentional, original writing that really hits emotionally that I’ve seen in a long time. 
This show thrives on the backs of Donald Glover and Maya Erskines performances and chemistry. If they don’t work, this show doesn’t work cause honestly, the spy action stuff feels like an after thought at times and I think that’s intentional. 
I wish so badly more people talked about it, it’s really ripe for discussion and analysis.