Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Bruja-Ha

• Start Topic

CONTROLLING THE CHAOS - As the Charmed Ones (Melonie Diaz, Sarah Jeffery and Madeleine Mantock) try to contain what was unleashed from the Tomb of Chaos, they discover who created it...and why. Also starring Rupert Evans. Joe Gallagher directed the episode written by Joey Falco and Blake Taylor (#310). Original airdate 4/18/2021.

This episode gave me a MAJOR case of whiplash. Out of nowhere the TCO are hunting down demons left and right, saving innocents out of nowhere. Something that could've easily been an entire season and have TCO actually focus on saving innocents as a main plot is taken from us fairly quickly and we get yet another super powerful set of beings that have to set the sisters on a new journey because as always...they are rarely allowed to find things out by themselves. 

The writers continue to do what they like best and bring in characters that they seem way more interested in then the sisters and now it's Josefina. She essentially "saves the day" with not only being able to create the only magical item/spell that can contain these magical beings but also the only person who can communicate with them and be the liaison between them and the "sisters" and now she gets to help Mel with their BoS and essentially becomes the new 4th/5th/6th sister since Abigail is currently not in the episodes. 

Having the Book of Shadows back is nice, the pages look nice, very Charmed....the outside looks very fanmade and they likely should've stuck with their original design which was fresh, modern, and cool. 

I enjoyed Maggies subplot of trying to juggle her two lives and being frustrated by it. 

I'll probably go the entire series waiting for them to start truly focusing on the 3 sisters as a whole and letting be Charmed. They've done very little that lives up the being "the chosen ones", the mightiest witches the world has ever seen. Still dont know why they are using Macys "force field" power thing just like her telekinesis. 

Even after ALL of that....interesting episode, even though I'm annoyed by the overall show never learning to be about the sisters relationship I didnt mind the episode. 

A writer for the show explained Macys new power which is apparently an advancement of her TK...

Not sure how it's supposed to  be any better than her TK though

Edited by Primal Slayer
  • Love 2

Ever get the feeling that this show is just not that interested in the Charmed Ones? They probably got the most focus in season one, but even then a lot of time was spent on Harry and his backstory and his character growth, which had least made some sense as he was their white lighter and the Charmed Ones were still the focus. Then in season two we got Abbey and tons of plots with her as their frienemy, and it almost felt like she had more of an arch then the sisters did. And now we not only have tons of stuff with Harry and Abbey, we also get Josephina as their new relative who gets to be the big hero and will be getting tons of focus. Why can we never have a show that is just about the main characters? 

Of course Josephina immediately trusts these guys, they both pull the same "I can act like a huge dick to you because I want to see if I can trust you" intros, then act like everyone should trust them despite their sketchy behavior. These guys remind me a lot of The Avatars in design and smugness from OG Charmed, and that makes me not trust them right away. This episode was also filled with a lot of that really awkward fake woke dialogue this show pulls sometimes, like the guy in the alley telling Macy to smile randomly (a phenomenon that apparently plagues woke female characters like a plague) after seeing her for a second, or Maggie and Mel and the random "women have to try to do everything because the world tries to take our power" bit, coming right in the middle of an actually good moment between Mel and Maggie and taking a nice moment and making it feel forced. 

They were at least fighting monsters and stuff which was nice, and Harry and Macy had a lot of nice moments. This new plot movement is welcome, at least stuff is happening, but I still don't trust these supposed saviors. 

• Love 2

The show is really coming off the rails again after a promising start this season. At least the "language" the Perfectors were speaking was suitably creepy.

Let me see if I'm following this story. Eons ago all the magical creatures got together and created these Perfectors by imbuing them with their own powers. The Perfectors then captured all the ancient monsters and put them into this interdimensional Alcatraz for monsters. (Instead of killing them for whatever reason). And now all these fissures are opening, letting the monsters escape, because why again? Because of whatever happened at the end of Season 2 with the giant tree of magic? Anyone remember what that was about? And the same thing also caused this "allergy" the sisters have to each other and other magical creatures? Because why?  

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3
On 4/25/2021 at 9:19 AM, iMonrey said:

The show is really coming off the rails again after a promising start this season. At least the "language" the Perfectors were speaking was suitably creepy.

Let me see if I'm following this story. Eons ago all the magical creatures got together and created these Perfectors by imbuing them with their own powers. The Perfectors then captured all the ancient monsters and put them into this interdimensional Alcatraz for monsters. (Instead of killing them for whatever reason). And now all these fissures are opening, letting the monsters escape, because why again? Because of whatever happened at the end of Season 2 with the giant tree of magic? Anyone remember what that was about? And the same thing also caused this "allergy" the sisters have to each other and other magical creatures? Because why?  

This was a really good summation of things so far, including the most important question, "Because Why?"

This was another decent episode.  The show is much better when there isn't a tacked-on Abigail subplot.  I agree that the pacing is ridiculously bad.  It's hard to feel Maggie and the others' fatigue when they just jumped ahead to them fighting those creatures again non-stop.  They writing Macy as a little short-tempered lately, so she's not as likeable.  Too bad she and Harry couldn't have taken more advantage of not being allergic to one another.  Back to the bad pacing, are all the wayward creatures back in their prison now?  

The Perfectors were entertaining once they started talking, though their language acquisition skills sure are slow.  They needed to knock out practically everyone in Safe Space.  Why did the other people not see what they were doing, and start running?

Macy still hasn't had a conversation with the cousin yet.  Figuring out that the Perfectors weren't evil was mostly a risky guess on her part.