Type keyword(s) to search

Elam Ferguson: The Common Man

Not only am I disappointed in Elam, I've also never been convinced that Common was the right actor for this role.  I've always thought that he had a wooden delivery with a limited range of emotions.   The Bear Man episode was his time to shine.  I thought it was epic fail.

I don't know how Common got the role, but surely there must have been a better biracial actor out there.  Boris Kodjoe, perhaps?

• Love 1

Not only am I disappointed in Elam, I've also never been convinced that Common was the right actor for this role.  I've always thought that he had a wooden delivery with a limited range of emotions.   The Bear Man episode was his time to shine.  I thought it was epic fail.

I don't know how Common got the role, but surely there must have been a better biracial actor out there.  Boris Kodjoe, perhaps?

I don't know if its Common as much as it is the character.  I just think the character of Elam is a bit one dimensional and sort of an asshole Tonto.  I mean his backstory of course is deep, but they mostly explored that in flashbacks.  I don't think they give Common much to work with and its part of the reason why, if they decide to kill off Elam I won't be too misty eyed over it.

So was Kerry Washington.

Ugh, she is the absolute worst.  I could only make it five minutes into the first episode of the latest season of Scandal.  Something happened and she was supposed to do this manicial laughter, and it was just so awful that I turned it off and could never watch again.  She makes the show that painful to watch.  And I hate that because I love the idea of having a black actress as the lead of a primetime show.  Love the idea, I love the writing of the show, but she is just such an awful actress.  I know that there are tons of talented, beautiful, black actresses out there I just don't know why she got the role.  I mean, she is pretty and she looks good in her wardrobe, but she is so bad in that role its painful.  And it took away a big opportunity from another black actress who would have been amazing in the role.  But thats just MO, and M may V.

Anyways, while I probably won't watch it, I'm excited for Viola Davis in "How to Get Away With Murder" because I think she is a fantastic actress.

• Love 1

Ugh, she is the absolute worst.  I could only make it five minutes into the first episode of the latest season of Scandal.  Something happened and she was supposed to do this manicial laughter, and it was just so awful that I turned it off and could never watch again.  She makes the show that painful to watch.  And I hate that because I love the idea of having a black actress as the lead of a primetime show.  Love the idea, I love the writing of the show, but she is just such an awful actress.  I know that there are tons of talented, beautiful, black actresses out there I just don't know why she got the role.  I mean, she is pretty and she looks good in her wardrobe, but she is so bad in that role its painful.  And it took away a big opportunity from another black actress who would have been amazing in the role.  But thats just MO, and M may V.

I remembered  that episode. It was cringe- worthy. Bellamy Young is the real talent on that show, but it's a shame she is so underrated. The lead actress on The Haves and the Have Nots would make a perfect Olivia Pope,IMO. She is so talented.

Anyways, while I probably won't watch it, I'm excited for Viola Davis in "How to Get Away With Murder" because I think she is a fantastic actress.

Agreed.

• Love 1

I remembered  that episode. It was cringe- worthy. Bellamy Young is the real talent on that show, but it's a shame she is so underrated. The lead actress on The Haves and the Have Nots would make a perfect Olivia Pope,IMO. She is so talented.

I'm glad it wasn't just me.  It was like three seasons straight I tried to convince myself that what Kerry Washington was doing was at least passable acting, but 5 minutes into the first episode of season 4 I was out.  I actually think the supporting cast is good, it is really just her, and I don't know that there is a fix for that at this point.  Which is unfortunate.  I haven't seen the Have and Have Nots, I'll have to check it out.  :)

• Love 1
I just think the character of Elam is a bit one dimensional and sort of an asshole Tonto.

"asshole Tonto."  I like that. :)

I still think that there could have been a better actor out there playing the role though.  There's just no "there" there in his eyes* and in his delivery.  He's like some Neanderthal guy, like when he first met Eva, I expected him to knock her upside the head with stick and drag her into a cave and grunt "you my woman now."

correction:  His EYE.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1