Type keyword(s) to search

The Lost Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Erin French is the owner of The Lost Kitchen, a historic mill turned restaurant in Freedom, Maine, population 722. Every year, hundreds of visitors from around the world make reservations not by phone or email, but by submitting postcards.

Promo:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I can see why Erin French got a show about her restaurant. Her backstory is inspiring, she has an all female staff (except for the dishwasher guy we briefly saw), and her restaurant only takes reservations by postcard. Any of those things on their own probably would have been enough to greenlight this show but all of them rolled together into one is a producer's dream.

When she said that they're only open mid-May through Mid-October, I wondered what she and the rest of her staff do for the other seven months of the year. I don't mean that in a snarky way either. They live in a tiny town (722 people) and she said the only businesses in town are a general store and the post office. So what does everyone else in town do for money? And what do she and her staff do to support themselves the seven months of the year that the restaurant isn't open? Do they make enough from working at the restaurant for five months to get by the rest of the year?

She said the restaurant is open four days a week and they have 48 seats available. Depending on which week they use for the mid-May opening and their mid-October closing, they're open about 22-24 weeks. The price to eat there is $105. That means they make $5,040 per night, which is $20,160 per week. I don't know what their overhead costs are but even if they're only spending half of that on paying their ten employees, that averages out to about $1000 per person per week. That's definitely livable if you earn that amount all year, but for less than half the year?

Erin mentioned that she hasn't been to her childhood home since her parents divorced and her mom works at the restaurant, so I'm guessing she is not on good terms with her dad anymore. I'm just glad she had them to fall back on every time she had a huge life crisis. She looks like she's doing great now, but I'm sure that's due in part to having their support and a place to live during her lowest moments, which not everyone is lucky enough to have.

It's nice to see that a restaurant in a small town can keep all the ingredients local and attract so many people from all over the country!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I'm binging this show today and I find it very soothing. It is interesting to see how they worked to transform throughout the covid disaster. 

I've only watched one episode so far but I agree that I found the tone very soothing. Even when they were in the middle of dinner service, I didn't feel stressed by watching.

• Love 1

So I'm finished binging now and I did like the show. It is just basically Erin doing a stream of consciousness nonstop but shows a lot about the process of putting together the show. Oh and a few of the staff are farmers and also at least one stay at home mom so I guess working at TLK is just supplemental income.  I don't eat seafood but I sire wanted to try the squash and apple dish featured on one of the shows. 

• Love 1

I'm also binging on this show, I love it!  Agree with all Electric Boogaloo said, Erin's story is definitely inspiring!!  I especially like how Erin creatively comes up with the dishes she serves her guests and the way she and her team work together!  Because I'm curious to know more about her story, I ordered her book 'Finding Freedom: A Cook's Story; Remaking a Life From Scratch' and it's scheduled to be delivered today, I know what I'll be doing tonight!!

• Love 2
On 3/31/2022 at 8:42 AM, sandyskyblue said:

I'm also binging on this show, I love it!  Agree with all Electric Boogaloo said, Erin's story is definitely inspiring!!  I especially like how Erin creatively comes up with the dishes she serves her guests and the way she and her team work together!  Because I'm curious to know more about her story, I ordered her book 'Finding Freedom: A Cook's Story; Remaking a Life From Scratch' and it's scheduled to be delivered today, I know what I'll be doing tonight!!

I just finished the book yesterday.  It was really hard to read at times, what Erin has been through.  But what an inspiring story of starting over, more than once. I was brought to tears at times.  I really admire her.

• Love 1

There was a new episode on D+ last night - it was Erin getting together her friends for an ice fishing expedition (basically showcasing Maine in the winter) and she cooked fried fish, chocolate mousse, chips and other assorted dishes.  I don't even like fish but I would have tried it because it looked delicious.  Not sure whether this season is now starting but it was good to see one of my "chill out and watch" favorites back.

• Applause 1

I also enjoy this show as something different from the other dregs. I do get a bit tired of the explanations of Erin’s inspirations and thoughts. She’s certainly entitled to her thoughts but do we have to constantly listen  to them? Just cook, honey.

I have wondered about that too although on YouTube TV they still preview it like it is a new show.  It is unfortunate because it was a really good show.