Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E02: Thederick's Story

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I remember the same dietician going through Liz's fridge, and trashing a lot, so maybe after that the poundticipants tell the dietician to keep her hands out of their pantry and fridge? 

I would think the poundticipants would tell the film crew not to film them naked . . . but I've heard they earn extra money for those shots.  Maybe production should pay them extra to let the nutritionist trash their food supply on camera.  Then they could buy MORE food with the extra money.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

On 1/13/2021 at 4:18 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't think Thederick had any impairments, but had been enabled his entire life.     

On 1/13/2021 at 5:12 AM, cynicat said:

Thedrick may not have been the sharpest tool in the shed, but some of his impairment was related to his congestive heart failure.  I'm pretty sure Dr. Now made mention of the decreased oxygen to his brain at one point, 

Yes, there was something near the beginning, where Dr Now spoke to his mom, and said something about his sleep apnea, and also about a few other things that I think included impaired thinking, and that that was why she would need to be responsible.

• Love 2
On 1/16/2021 at 11:57 PM, NeitherSparky said:

I had bunion correcting surgery and actually went into it assuming it would be local anesthetic. But the doctor told me it has to be general for two reasons, 1) so you don’t move on accident and 2) because they have to put a clamp on your leg to slow blood flow that would be uncomfortable even with local. So it’s possible a lymphedema surgery would need to be general for the same reasons.

Plus, given the size of that thing, the wound created would be the size of a basketball - there's a point beyond which the amount of local you'd need is more dangerous than general.

I know they're locked into their basic show structure, but there is zero reason why participants in the "program" aren't required to attend nutrition classes and therapy WHILE they're dropping the pre-surgery weight.  There is a major lack of basic nutritional awareness in nearly every case - down to the level of "what foods are fruit?" If the only vegetables they've eaten for 30 years are potatoes and corn, they are going to need a new definition of vegetable.

There's ZERO reason why somebody undertaking a life changing surgery like that is not better prepared in the months leading up to it - not just handing poorly educated, financially struggling people a stack of papers and expecting them to "study" them.  Even a one hour "Here are all the bright ideas people in the program have had that didn't work out so well for them" course would help. Maybe it wouldn't stop them from having that occasional pizza, but might make it two slices every other week instead of a full one every Saturday night as their "treat."

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, kassa said:

Plus, given the size of that thing, the wound created would be the size of a basketball - there's a point beyond which the amount of local you'd need is more dangerous than general.

I know they're locked into their basic show structure, but there is zero reason why participants in the "program" aren't required to attend nutrition classes and therapy WHILE they're dropping the pre-surgery weight.  There is a major lack of basic nutritional awareness in nearly every case - down to the level of "what foods are fruit?" If the only vegetables they've eaten for 30 years are potatoes and corn, they are going to need a new definition of vegetable.

There's ZERO reason why somebody undertaking a life changing surgery like that is not better prepared in the months leading up to it - not just handing poorly educated, financially struggling people a stack of papers and expecting them to "study" them.  Even a one hour "Here are all the bright ideas people in the program have had that didn't work out so well for them" course would help. Maybe it wouldn't stop them from having that occasional pizza, but might make it two slices every other week instead of a full one every Saturday night as their "treat."

I had an employee whose brother was on Dr. Now's program.  I ask her about what information they were given. She said they were given nutritional information, I don't remember is she talked about classes or not, but that did not mean her brother paid attention to the information he was given.  She said the show did not show everything . She said he was also evaluated by a psychologist to make sure he understood what was required of him.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3