Type keyword(s) to search

Will Byers: Can this kid catch a break?

• Start Topic

Good old Will the Wise. It occurred to me when I was reviewing the relationship between Mike and Will in the Mike thread, that in many ways if Mike is the leader,  Will is the heart of the group. While Mike can get self absorbed (in a typical teenage way), Will seems be more thoughtful towards others. To giving away toys to other kids because they are sad, to pointing out to Mike during their argument that Mike had no idea where Dustin was, and judging by his reaction, had even thought about Dustin since El dumped him the previous day. Despite his issues with El, he never took out his anger towards her like Mike did with Max.  

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

I'm hoping Will gets a little character development in season 4 as far as allowing his friends to walk all over him less. I know it's part of his character that he's people pleasing and a peacemaker, but avoidance ultimately won't help him much (which I think fed into his fight with Mike in season 3). I sympathize Will, but you can't be that way forever! Maybe some physical distance from Hawkins and the Party will help.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I found myself disappointed in Will in the first couple of episodes of S4, in that he just stood way back and let the 'cool kids' pick on & bully Jane/11.

I get he has a personal history with that exact type of thing from his middle school days back in Hawkins while just taking it from the bullies, as well as going through quite a bit in his own personal sphere - the most likely being gay SL - but even its just a weak wavering "please just leave her alone", just do something, man!

And I lump Mike in with that as well, when that whole incident - leading up to her smacking Angela in the face with a skate - both boys just stood there gawping and watched her get utterly humiliated.  Yes, Mike did get the DJ to finally turn off the music, but they should have been out there getting the group away from J/11 or her away from the crowd.  Watching the lack of action and protection was so frustrating.

Another thing;  I don't know if they will or not, but if they do plan on making it so that Will will end up having a strong connection to the Upside Down/Vecna thing back in Hawkins - after they all finally get back there - it will fall a bit flat to me.  Simply because that while I know that they are currently halfway across the country from Indiana and Hawkins, they've given no hint at all that Will's 'UD radar detector' ability/feelings has alerted him to what's going on back there.  Before Owens picked J./11 up and the soldiers attacked their house, its been played that he's had no idea in the slightest that Hawkins was still dealing with its supernatural curse crap.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

^ I agree. I was hoping Will would see something regarding the upside down. However, I suppose he could still. Maybe that

Spoiler

Nancy is in trouble. As she matters to both Johnathan and Mike. 

But wishful thinking. 

• Like 1
(edited)

@iRarelyWatchTV36 I was coming here to post a version of what you posted on season 4. I don't understand how/why Will can just stand back and let them do that to Jane/Eleven. As you pointed out, a weak "knock it off" or explain why he isn't even attempting to stand up for her. I'd accept a few lines of dialgue referencing something that happened earlier in the semester that we didn't get to see. Something like, "I'd try to help, but you remember what happened last time," and then have her reference how much blood or how long it took the bruises to heal or something else along those lines. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Like 1

Everything about the bullying was over the top bad.  The writers wanted to show El isolated but gave zero thought to how Will (or even Mike) looked in the scene.

They also want to show these kids in normal situations but the fact that these kids have faced literal monsters show that having these kids not be able to tell an asshole mean girl to F off since they have faced so much worse is kind of ridiculous.  

• Like 2
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, ch1 said:

They also want to show these kids in normal situations but the fact that these kids have faced literal monsters show that having these kids not be able to tell an asshole mean girl to F off since they have faced so much worse is kind of ridiculous.  

That part of it worked for me. Monsters and spooky supernatural things they can deal with, but mean girls and bullies, not so much. It's like Steve. In a fight with humans, Steve doesn't have a great track record, but he's much better at fighting monsters. It's like the people in real life who are rather shy and quiet, but get them up on stage in role and they are like a totally different person. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I'm doing a post-S4 rewatch of the series right now, just finished S2, and holy mother of pearl is it ever obvious now how CRIMINAL it is that they didn't give Noah more to do in S4, and really S3 as well. Will has been such a bland, background character in the latter seasons that I had forgotten just how effing good of an actor Noah is. His switch from scared Will to semi-possessed Will during the Mind Flayer scenes is truly chilling. Screaming at Joyce in that guttural voice, barely remembering who his own family and friends are, setting up the trap to kill the soldiers who were burning the vines.....holy moly.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1