Type keyword(s) to search

Statins

• Start Topic

I'd love to hear everyone's experiences with statins.

I've just recently been put on Rosuvastatin and the doctor told me to take 2,000 IU of Vitamin D3 (as well as CoQ10, of course). My current multivitamin has 1,000 IU so I'd have to take a 1,000 IU Vitamin D supplement. I've been reading conflicting reports on mixing extra Vitamin D with statins. There was a study which determined that Rosuvastin (and some other statins) triples the Vitamin D levels in the blood. If that's the case, I certainly don't want to be taking 2,000 IU per day. The thing is, I can't find any corroborating evidence of that study which was done a few years ago. My question is: Has anyone on statins been advised by their doctors to take extra Vitamin D? If so, has anyone had their blood checked for Vitamin D levels? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Gemma Violet
On 11/3/2020 at 3:43 PM, Gemma Violet said:

My question is: Has anyone on statins been advised by their doctors to take extra Vitamin D? If so, has anyone had their blood checked for Vitamin D levels?

I've been on Rosuvastatin for a year and a half and have been taking 5000 iu daily of vitamin D all along.   I have never heard of it being an issue and my healthcare providers are aware that I take both.   But given your info I think I'll request a vitamin D check the next time they do lab work.  I do know toxicity levels are very rare and the D does seem to help prevent colds and such. 

• Love 1

Thanks for the response.  Good idea to have your Vitamin D checked.  I've been only taking 1,000 IU of Vitamin D since I've been on the Rosuvastin because I'm afraid to go higher.  I wish there were more studies on this. 

I'm going to talk with my doctor about it at my next appointment.  

I've been on Rosuvastin for about over 10 years now.  I recently got an appointment with the Environmental Health Clinic here, they took a ton of blood work (21 vials, the tech said it was a new record for her), and was prescribed 4,000 IU of Vitamin D a day.

So I think you don't need to worry.

21 Vials of Blood!!  Wow.  How long did it take?  I once had a port to get blood when I  was in the hospital and I doubt they took that much.  (I loved the port because getting blood is almost always a challenge.)  My husband was very impressed at 21 vials also.