Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Original Airbenders

(edited)

Discuss Episode 7 here! I think we're clear of the leaked episodes, but if you do know something from future episodes that you want to bring up, please remember to spoiler tag.

Edited by PinkRibbons

I just realized that we're more than halfway done with the book and Korra still hasn't interacted with any of the main villains yet or even cares about it so far.

This was a very non-descript episode in my opinion. I am not a fan of the Kai/ Jinora relationship, nor am I overly invested in the rebuilding of the air nation. I did like the part where that guy avoided the net due to his shaved head, though :D I continue to think that Bumi is very weak comic relief (weaker than Bolin at times!). Cute baby bison are cute, but they did not carry the episode. 

Oh, and Jinora wants tattoos. Joy, another rebellious teen on this show who thinks she knows better than an adult who clearly knows better. Ugh.

This was a very non-descript episode in my opinion. I am not a fan of the Kai/ Jinora relationship, nor am I overly invested in the rebuilding of the air nation. I did like the part where that guy avoided the net due to his shaved head, though :D I continue to think that Bumi is very weak comic relief (weaker than Bolin at times!). Cute baby bison are cute, but they did not carry the episode. 

Oh, and Jinora wants tattoos. Joy, another rebellious teen on this show who thinks she knows better than an adult who clearly knows better. Ugh.

Unfortunately the writers are turning Bumi into an even bigger joke than Bolin.  I just don't care about Jinora/Kai or Bolin/Opal at all even though it's less painful than the other painful pairings.

Book 3 feels like a collection of ideas but it doesn't have a coherent narrative that ties them together, it feels like a bunch of subplots being strung together to get the characters from Point A to B to C.  Even the villains feel very disconnected and Korra barely even cares about her being in danger from them.

...was there a reason why Jinora couldn't air blast her way out of that cage or the net? Besides making her a damsel in distress for Kai and Tenzin to rescue that is. 

It was just for that just like her being used as Korra's DEM last season.

If Jinora gets her tattoos, I hope she also asserts herself and tells her dad she'd like to have them without shaving half of her head.

Whatever she does, I hope it's because of what she wants and not something a guy she likes suggests for her.

Avatar Yangchen seems to have kept half her hair so that might not be a problem:

250px-Yangchen.png

I personally think Jinora is not ready for her tattoos. At the very least, her emotional immaturity and life inexperience has put a bunch of unskilled air benders in danger today. Aang got his at 12, but he was the youngest ever air nomad to get them, was the avatar, and had invented the air scooter. Jinora on the other hand, while she has her connection to the spirit world, is motivated by her love interest and need to show that she's 'not a child any more'. Please. 

Aang's forehead tattoo was a continuous line from the back of the spine to the arrowhead.  If females get the same then they all have to shave part of their heads at least once.

Unless getting caught in a net is a disqualification it's not clear if she actually is qualified or not.  Tenzin's argument is more along the lines of not wanting to see his daughter grow up instead of you're not as good as you think you are (i.e. the Skywalker problem).

Passing on valuable airbending techniques is one thing but Tenzin seems to have forgotten that the majority of Air Nomad traditions and history have already been secured with the Air Acolytes around.