Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Kona Kai Seance

• Start Topic

Trudy meets with Jerrie Cobb and is invited to join the first all-female-astronaut corps. The Mercury 7 are sent to San Diego for some glad-handing, but the trip sours when Shepard is caught by a reporter with another woman. Glenn helps Shepard get the story spiked, but his moralizing drives a wedge between him and the other astronauts that will directly affect who is chosen to go to space first.

Dropping Friday, October 30, 2020.

Alan Shepard is not coming off so well in this show. John Glenn was just trying to help Shepard get out of trouble that he got himself into. I don't think he was trying to keep Shepard from going up first. If he was Glenn would have called Shorty first. What an asshole. His smirk at the end, like he won something, even though his behavior has been terrible. And he's lying about the ringing in his ears, he should not be going up, so he is incredibly selfish. I can't believe the other guys were on Shepard's side. Glenn just wanted them to be a bit more discreet, not stop screwing strippers completely. It was not a huge ask from him.

I wonder if that meeting actually even happened, it didn't work for me. I did like that he even ordered them burgers, it just shows he cares more for them than they know. His ego is huge though, just like the rest of them.

• Love 1

I agree that Shepard is not coming off well. Knowing that he was such a big philanderer has changed my view of him. It's no wonder Glenn was trying to reign him, and the rest of the guys in. Back then, that type of behavior was looked down even more than it is today. 

I thought it was interesting that the guys voted amongst themselves to determine the flight order. Kinda feel like Shepard owes Glenn a big apology. The woman's space program was also interesting, and I had never heard of it before, which is too bad.

• Like 1

Shepard comes across as a major douche.  How could he ever consider going into space when something's wrong with his hearing?  I mean he could go up there and his head would explode. 

The peer vote showed just how catty those guys were.  MEOW.😼😼

• Love 3
On 11/2/2020 at 7:03 PM, Neurochick said:

The peer vote showed just how catty those guys were.  MEOW.😼😼

I totally agree, but I would say that John Glenn got the last laugh because more people remember him than Alan Shepard. Maybe just because of the Billy Joel song, but he is remembered more I think.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Arynm said:

I totally agree, but I would say that John Glenn got the last laugh because more people remember him than Alan Shepard. Maybe just because of the Billy Joel song, but he is remembered more I think.

I dunno.  Shepard hitting a golf ball on the moon is pretty memorable too.  (Spoiler?)

• LOL 2

I forgot to mention something in my first post. Even those it's American history and I think most people probably know it, I'm going to put it behind a spoiler tag since it hasn't happened yet in the show.

Spoiler

After the guys voted, the NASA director burned the votes and the camera focused in on Grissom's name being burned, which foreshadowed his death in the command module fire. I thought it was a bit tasteless, although it was also chilling.

• Useful 1