Type keyword(s) to search

The Comey Rule - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I really tried to watch this but I guess I'm just too raw from the current developments and only got part-way through.

I still don't like or trust Comey.

Ditto. I know he wasn't the only factor in the election, but still.

Its hard to believe that Mad-Eye Moody is playing Trump.

• Love 2

I couldn't help it, I had to watch and got hooked in.

I tried to read the book but just like the John Bolton book I found it too dry and couldn't get past the first few chapters.

A few takeaways..

1. the guy who did Trump - spot on.

2. The man who wrote the dismissal of Comey, the crying and carrying on how he would wear a wire while being in the oval office was over the top.

3. I still don't like Comey.  He could have either a) kept quiet until after the election or b) advised the public they are investigating matters into both candidates.  That was there wouldn't have been any indication of partisanship.

4. Comey going to shake Trump's hand - my first thought: you lie down with dogs, you end up with fleas.

5. Lisa Page was having an affair with her co-worker?

6. I really liked the other woman in the room (who's name escapes me now). She was the only logical one in the group.  All of them realized what a fuse Trump would be in the presidency, none wanted to see him get the office but their action might have assisted Trump's cause.

7.  The only thing I do admire of Comey (or Jeff Daniels as Comey) is a) his poker face and b) his answers to uncomfortable questions. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, greekmom said:

3. I still don't like Comey.  He could have either a) kept quiet until after the election or b) advised the public they are investigating matters into both candidates.  That was there wouldn't have been any indication of partisanship.

Exactly.

I get the feeling from the show that I am supposed to sympathize with Comey, a good man who did what he thought was right.  Sorry show, all I came away with is that Comey should never have been allowed to play in the big leagues.

The article in The Week linked above makes some very good points.

The Showtime miniseries, then, is another piece of [Comey's] redemption campaign, and as a result, doesn't have any more credibility than Comey himself standing up and saying, "No really, I'm the good guy." Good or bad, no one other than Comey and his family ought to care what kind of person he is. What matters is what he's left us with.

8 hours ago, greekmom said:

6. I really liked the other woman in the room (who's name escapes me now). She was the only logical one in the group.  All of them realized what a fuse Trump would be in the presidency, none wanted to see him get the office but their action might have assisted Trump's cause.

Sally Yates?  She's been pretty awesome.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Sally Yates?  She's been pretty awesome.

No Trisha Anderson.  At least in Comey's pow wow room she was the voice of reason.  But Sally Yates was really good too.  You knew her days were numbered as soon as Trump was elected (I've never heard of Sally Yates before the show.)

I loved how Trump was harping on the fact on the prostitutes/golden showers and how Melania won't like it. I don't think Melania gave two shits about it as long as she was kept in luxury that she was accustomed to.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Finally watched this on my Showtime free weekend and my gut reaction is UGGGGHHH. Really hard to watch, especially now.

I felt bad for Comey's family, if nothing else.

Brendan Gleeson did a good job, but are his ears really that big or did the makeup department enlarge them on purpose?

• Love 1

I really like Jeff Daniels. Was thisclosetomeetinghim a few years ago when he was one of the emcees at ADL's Concert Against Hate. But I 🤢 when I saw the previews for this, protraying Comey as this noble man, so infused with integrity and wanting to do the right thing and "paying" the consequences for it. Blech. No thank you.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I really like Jeff Daniels. Was thisclosetomeetinghim a few years ago when he was one of the emcees at ADL's Concert Against Hate. But I 🤢 when I saw the previews for this, protraying Comey as this noble man, so infused with integrity and wanting to do the right thing and "paying" the consequences for it. Blech. No thank you.

I do not blame you. I actually only watched part 2 and even then I fast forwarded through most of it.

• Love 1

There is a virtual behind-the-scenes look at The Comey Rules on December 9th at 8 eastern time. It's in 3 segments, On the set (hair, make-up and production), Behind the camera (photography, editing and music) and Comey, Trump and Billy Ray (Jeff Daniels, Brendan Gleeson and Billy Ray).

I've been rewatching parts of it now post election and it's easier to watch.  I pity Comey as the third and fourth parts play out because it's like a swimmer trying to fight an undercurrent that will inevitably bring him down even if he is the cause of much of his plight. Chiefly I'm shocked at how incredibly naive how "the good guys" are. Isn't this supposed to be what they're trained to do?