Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E20: A Problem Like Maria

• Start Topic

As the super snow-moon storm peaks, the Cornelia Marie's deck becomes a gauntlet for Josh and Casey's greenest greenhorn. Ice fog overtakes the fleet as Monte scrambles to stay afloat, Harley loses an engine and Junior fights a sea-flea infestation.

Two themes this season:   boats teaming up to work together and then one boat "double crossing" the other; and boats running over lines and fouling their propeller.   How many boats did that this year?   I don't think they had so many fouled propellers in all the prior seasons put together than they did this year.   Did the captains just suddenly forget how to drive boats?

BTW, I don't think Josh is allowed to drive the boat while pulling pots or if anything big is happening.    I don't think he is a "captain" like Jake is, but more like he takes his watch on the boat and his helm-qualified like a lot of deckhands are.   If you watch,  the big stuff has Casey at the wheel.   A camera stumpet like Josh would totally be doing that -- if he were legally allowed to be.

Big props to Harley about being out there busting the ice with his crew.   No other captain has done that, not Sig, not the Hillstrands, definitely not Wild Bill.   They talk in the wheelhouse about how hard it is, but only Harley is out there doing it.   

• Love 2

I'm having a hard time figuring out what the big deal was with Maria.  Its how many weeks into the season and they are just figuring out that she might not have the same body strength of the male deckhand?  All of a sudden there's a problem with her?  bogus, Disco, bogus!  I don't believe that this is the first time the Cornelia Marie has had a deckhand have trouble tossing the bags.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Linderhill said:

I'm having a hard time figuring out what the big deal was with Maria.  Its how many weeks into the season and they are just figuring out that she might not have the same body strength of the male deckhand?  All of a sudden there's a problem with her?  bogus, Disco, bogus!  I don't believe that this is the first time the Cornelia Marie has had a deckhand have trouble tossing the bags.  

Here's what I think.  After a greenhorn has proven him/herself in doing a task, they can be rotated to a different task for cross-training.  I think Maria has been excelling at handling the bait and helping to sort (the two most basic tasks).  So they had just moved her to throwing the bags when they dropped a new pot.  Casey even talked about developing new upper body strength and that it might take time to do that, but that she needed to really push herself to throw those bags farther out.  

Even in this same episode, a MAN on the Summer Wind didn't throw the bag far enough, and the bag got caught up in the propeller and caused major problems.  

Maria rocks!

• Love 1

Mega ice edit issues.  Clean vessel, frozen vessel, frozen vessel, clean vessel.  Same vessel, seconds apart.  Does Disco have no pride?

Serious question:  If someone leaves buoys and lines in the sea, are they not hazards of navigation?  Isn't there some type of regulation that requires a captain to do whatever possible to retrieve what he puts into the ocean?  Does he not have to report when he fails to do so?

Those fleas were like something out of Star Wars.  Yikes.

• Love 1