Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Perpetratin'/S01.E02: Scars

• Start Topic

"P-Valley” premieres on Sunday, July 12 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on Starz.

“P-Valley” is an eight-episode series full of grit and glitter, set in a little strip-club called "The Pynk".

Award-winning playwright Katori Hall’s adapts her play “Pussy Valley,” into an hour long show that centers on the erotic dancers of Chucalissa, Mississippi, navigating their lives both on and off the dance floor.

Episode 1: Perpetratin

This episode seemed a little formulaic to to me, I could see where things were going. The only thing that surprised me was that Uncle Clifford doesn't seem to be making any money, all of his workers seem to be doing more that alright.

• Love 1

Episode 2 - Scars     airdate: July 19, 2020

The Pynk’s annual carwash receives a visit from a surprising guest while Autumn’s past comes back to haunt her. Back at the club, souls are bared, and deals are negotiated in the private booths.

• Love 1

I am going to watch this show.  Thus far I just saw the first episode but it’s interesting and I am going to see where it goes.  There are secrets here and I want to see what they are.

• Love 1

So I think the gentleman photographing the strip club works for the mob or organized crime. WHO takes real estate photos at night?

Also who/what is Autumn Night/Hailey hiding from? Is she living in an abandoned house? Where’d the suitcase come from (at first I thought it was post Katrina).  I assume that little girl on her phone is her daughter, where is she?

I personally don’t like the use of the N word, I find it so degrading to see my people speak to each other that way. And I hate “red bone”. When that guy called her that I fucking cringed. If a guy said that to me I would want to throw water in his lap. 

These girls are true athletes. 

• Love 4

Wow. So I have to say I can tell this show was written by black people- Black people with an understanding of gulf coast/creole culture and slang. 

These women are true athletes and have gorgeous bodies. Very strong and toned but still have curves- Id love to look like that but I love food too much. (And I’m lazy)

So the lawyer Andre is a Morehouse man and a Q-Dog!!!! (I saw his brand- yeah can’t get with the branding). The casting team did a really good job, I believed Corbin looked a great deal like his brothers. He’s being short sighted though- yes leasing is more lucrative but then you’ll always have to deal with your brothers who don’t like you!!

I don’t mind the male nudity (obviously, if women can show their bodies men can too) but I was surprised to see the semen on his torso, on tv on Sunday night😯

What and who is Hailey running from? Is her daughter dead? Did she drown?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm struggling with yet another series that exploits women. They do have Mississippi nailed. And the cheer/dance culture is big with young girls in the South.

The club owner is trying to channel the late, great Nelsan Ellis as True Blood's Lafayette. His acting is unreliable.

When I saw the redheaded plantation owners, my mind went to the Tarleton twins in Gone With the Wind.

It looks like Hailey's child drowned in a flood in Houston, and she's fleeing an abusive partner. She's got PTSD I guess. She found multiple IDs after the flood and is using the one of a woman who is not reported dead (or perhaps it's the other way around). She called FEMA to inquire after known flood deaths, and they don't have a death reported for Trevonious (SP?), who is apparently her abuser. So she'll have to constantly look over her shoulder, especially if she becomes famous and her image is advertised.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 1
On 8/2/2020 at 8:56 AM, pasdetrois said:

The club owner is trying to channel the late, great Nelsan Ellis as True Blood's Lafayette. His acting is unreliable.

I loved Nelsan Ellis on True Blood, but I think Nicco Annan is doing a great job with this character. I'm only two episodes in but I definitely think that Uncle Clifford and Mercedes are the heart of the show so far.

I'm fascinated by the language and dialogue on this show. I also really liked listening to Mercedes explain how she knew which guys were broke, which guys look like they're going to splash cash, which guys were focused on business, etc. 

I also like the swerve that Lil Murda is more into Clifford than any of the girls. Too cute how Clifford went from fierce business person to giggling and blushing at his interest in them. 

On 8/2/2020 at 8:56 AM, pasdetrois said:

When I saw the redheaded plantation owners, my mind went to the Tarleton twins in Gone With the Wind.

Ha, you're in my head with that.

On 7/18/2020 at 8:02 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I personally don’t like the use of the N word, I find it so degrading to see my people speak to each other that way. And I hate “red bone”. When that guy called her that I fucking cringed. If a guy said that to me I would want to throw water in his lap.

Same. Nobody in my family talks that way. Since I wasn't raised to think it's okay, for me it's cringe and I'll never be on that page. At the same time, I know it's a battle I'll never win with people who feel it's empowering, harmlesss, affirmative, etc. I'm content to not judge and keep my feelings to myself whenever I hear the word used by my people in real life. That being said, it's a lot easier for me to hear it on a show like this or Power rather than IRL. Most of my friends are like minded so it's really only something I hear when I'm getting my hair done or I'm socializing with relatives of a certain friends. 

• Like 1