Type keyword(s) to search

Skin Decision: Before & After - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Really interesting to see what they can do non surgically although I imagine most people will not have the same kind of results, I wish they talked about what the cost of the course of treatments would be if Netflix wasn't paying. I imagine a fair amount of people who see this show and want similar results will have the results of the first woman with acne who had scars from previous laser treatments.

I'm so used to plastic surgery shows blurring breasts that I really wasn't expecting to see them unblurred.

My main criticism of the show would be that people were caked in makeup in the after photos and it was way better lighting too. If you're showing off your tummy tuck I don't care if you have a full face of makeup but if I'm supposed to be seeing your recovery from acne or facial surgery and the before photos are barefaced then the after photos should be too

• Love 3

Well, I've already finished the series. Dr. Terry Dubrow wishes he could perform surgery half as well as Dr. Sheila Nazarian.

What a refreshing sip this was after several seasons of a parade of famewhores on "Botched".

I agree about the makeup in the "after" shots. Also, the "before" lighting is harsh and exaggerates the "problems" by contrast.

I have to snark on Dr. Nazarian and Nurse Jamie showing up to each new patient consultation looking like they were going to the club. And their upspeak? They talked like teenagers who were, like, sooo excited to meet a new patient? Hugs?!?

• Love 4
On 7/21/2020 at 11:21 PM, bilgistic said:

I have to snark on Dr. Nazarian and Nurse Jamie showing up to each new patient consultation looking like they were going to the club. And their upspeak? They talked like teenagers who were, like, sooo excited to meet a new patient? Hugs?!?

I've only seen a little of this show, but I sort of like the doctors to act like, you know, doctors (regardless of there actual skills). I felt like I was watching some sort of infomercial.

• Love 2

I just started watching this & that poor woman Katrina with the bullet scars makes my heart hurt. 

I'm listening to Dr. Nazarian and Nurse Jamie talk about Katrina, & I don't know if I'm going to be able to handle Dr. Nazarian's vocal fry. She sounds like a teenager, not a grown woman.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, GaT said:

I just started watching this & that poor woman Katrina with the bullet scars makes my heart hurt.

I teared up during just about every episode, but I actually cried for Katrina. I just can't imagine the grief.

• Love 1

Still watching, but I really think it would be better if the doctor & the nurse who keep talking about looking natural weren't each wearing a pound of makeup and hair extensions. Every time they talk all I can do is think about the 2 inches of lip gloss on their lips.

• LOL 1

They address their hair in one of the later episodes. The doctor says that all her hair is natural while Jamie says she has extensions. Jamie's hair looks different in different episodes (length, layers, etc.).

• LOL 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The doctor says that all her hair is natural 

Yep, that's what she says. And I absolutely believe her. Absolutely.

I just watched the episode with Trevor, the kid with really bad acne, & you can see the makeup on him in the after part. So annoying, show what he really looks like, not what you've made him up to look like.

Edited by GaT

My hair is as thick and long (thanks to the coronavirus and me not wanting to to contract it just to get a haircut) as the doctor's. I'm a white woman and have been asked if I have extensions. I know I'm fortunate to have good hair.

• Love 1

ITA about the upspeak, vocal fry, and pounds of makeup on the hosts! Is this what we're supposed to aspire to?

I like the premise of the show, and I believe both the hosts are very skilled, but they act so fake.  The way they gush over the patients and call them "cutie" like they're children is also off-putting.  If I went to a doctor and they treated me like that, I'd be out of there.  It'd be like if Jonathan Van Ness was your doctor - "OMG hi cutie! Are we doing a little baby bit of surgery on you today hunny?" (I actually love JVN, but don't want doctors that act like that.)

Also agree about the soft lighting and makeup in the "after" shots.  High quality, skillfully applied makeup (the kind used by TV makeup artists, like here) can make a person look dramatically different all on its own. So even if they had nothing done surgically or cosmetically (whatever you call Jamie's treatments), they'd still look 75% better in the after shots with all that makeup.  

Overall, while I have been enjoying the show, it obviously shows a very "LA" approach to beauty.  It would be nice to see a show like this that was a bit more realistic and not trying so hard to be huggy-positive-inspiring-feelgood-airbrushed. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Just finished the series. I think that Dr Nazarian's outfits in the consults are hysterical. Yeah I'd like to walk into a consult and see my doctor in a strapless or spaghetti strap top! And that nurse Jamie she's definitely talented but oh boy I walk in and see that plastic surgery and pillow lips I don't know if I'd want to have her working on me. Dr Nazarian is really cool and even though she does wear a ton of makeup, if she if she's had any work done, it's naural.

Edited by WhineandCheez
On 7/26/2020 at 6:47 AM, bilgistic said:

My hair is as thick and long (thanks to the coronavirus and me not wanting to to contract it just to get a haircut) as the doctor's. I'm a white woman and have been asked if I have extensions. I know I'm fortunate to have good hair.

I'm 80 and have never been good with my hair.  When I was 18 my girlfriend went to beauty school, so my sisters and I started getting our hair "done," every week...for maybe two dollars.  It was in the days of big/teased hair.  After she worked awhile I was a Clairol model for her.  Everyone who has ever cut, permed, dyed, highlighted my hair LOVES my hair...and says how lucky I am.  Because I'm not good...and I haven't had my hair "done" for years, it's just the same short pixie I had most of my life before I heard of beauty school.

• Love 1